homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » Where do all the geeks hide in Seattle?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where do all the geeks hide in Seattle?
babyblue
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 16147

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted March 26, 2008 14:34      Profile for babyblue   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My three best girl friends and I are all single at the same time for the first time ever...and the one thing we can all agree on is that we adore geeks. The problem is that we don't know where to find them...

Any advice?

--------------------
Pour yourself a hot bath, pour yourself a drink.
Nothing's gonna happen without a warning.

Posts: 1 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2008 15:23      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you've come to the right place.

Sorry this geek falls below the age/2 +7 rule.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2008 19:33      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hop on the Clipper, show up in Victoria, Naked with beer...

Just kidding. Don't hesitate to look to your northern neighbors for what you seek. We hve geeks here tooo. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2008 19:54      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finding geeks in Seattle is like finding sand in a desert. Seriously. It's not that hard.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2008 21:04      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta side with macmcseboy on this one... [crazy]

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 08:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A jaded dragon* wonders, though...you 'adore' geeks...but do you actually like them? Geeks aren't just playthings...they're real people, with real interests, and it isn't cool to just treat them like house pets. [Smile] Isn't there some 'university bookstore' or something in Seattle? I can't help but think there'd be a few geeks there...seemed like a nice place.

*Pun not /really/ intended...green really isn't my color.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 10:39      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97 wrote:
Geeks aren't just playthings...they're real people, with real interests, and it isn't cool to just treat them like house pets. [Smile]

Yeah! 'cause being taken care of, cleaned up after, played with, provided with food, water, and shelter while never being expected to do anything other than cuddle every now and then is tantamount to cruel and unusu... umm...

I need to buy a dog costume.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 27, 2008 11:14      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Redmond? I'm pretty sure you're not searching hard enough.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 17:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
What about Redmond? I'm pretty sure you're not searching hard enough.

Or maybe she has high standards.
Microsoft geeks? *shudder*.

Now if she lived in Cupertino...

</obligatory-mac-fanboy-comment>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 19:23      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

Steen old chap:

You really ARE a furry, aren't you?

gg
[Razz]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 19:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
A jaded dragon* wonders, though...you 'adore' geeks...but do you actually like them? Geeks aren't just playthings...they're real people, with real interests, and it isn't cool to just treat them like house pets. [Smile] Isn't there some 'university bookstore' or something in Seattle? I can't help but think there'd be a few geeks there...seemed like a nice place.

*Pun not /really/ intended...green really isn't my color.

There's also a Wizards of the Coast outlet down the street from said bookstore. And an assortment of comic book shops, used book stores, and other random geekish spots. Ever heard of The Ave, babyblue? [Wink]

You can also try the coffeshops. They come in ridiculous numbers, if you haven't noticed. I like Fremont, myself, but Greenlake and Ravenna are pretty cool too. Ballard has an Archie McPhee's and a cupcake shop.

Just things to think about.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 19:59      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geeks? Geeks! You want geeks?

No problemo.

Just hang out down at Pike's Place Market.

Real Geeks just adore fish - you know, them being so bland and all that...  -

YMMV

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 21:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
There's also a Wizards of the Coast outlet down the street from said bookstore. And an assortment of comic book shops, used book stores, and other random geekish spots.

Did someone say Comic Shop ?

Computer game shops are another place to find some Good Geek Lovin'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 28, 2008 03:44      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think finding Geeks is hard no matter where you are. I feel fortunate that here, in RURAL Southern Ohio, I work at a place with a LOT of geeky folks to bond with, because we are primarily known for our "rednecks". I wore my Mac Geek tee shirt to a local festival, and one old guy thought it meant I was homosexual.

Additionally, I think you have to be on the lookout for DORKS, who often masquerade as Geeks, but will expose their true leanings very quickly! ROFL

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2008 08:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

Steen old chap:

You really ARE a furry, aren't you?

gg
[Razz]

No, but I had a girlfriend at one time who owned a teddy bear costume in my size...

I think I'll just stop there. [Eek!]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2008 18:17      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
grrrr... i h8 furries.... bad, evil and messed up....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2008 18:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
macmcseboy:
Even though I don't participate in that scene, I know a few furries. I'm curious... what is it about them that you consider so bad, evil and messed up?

Oh and um... hi babyblue. Sorry for the tangent that I'm probably going to drag your topic through. Maybe it should be a different topic. Oh well.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2008 11:59      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:
grrrr... i h8 furries....

Trying lightly sauteeing them in a bit of garlic butter...
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2008 11:50      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
A jaded dragon* wonders, though...you 'adore' geeks...but do you actually like them? Geeks aren't just playthings...they're real people, with real interests, and it isn't cool to just treat them like house pets. [Smile]

Yeah, geeks are for life, not just for Christmas. When you're bored with them, you can't just drive them out in the car to somewhere and let them go. They'll come back, they have GPS. [Smile]
Posts: 46 | From: Dublin | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2008 12:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or a bad-ass sense of direction.

My boyfriend bought a GPS for his car. Then he discovered that I'm better. [Razz]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture