homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » Advice to the lovelorn (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Advice to the lovelorn
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2007 17:23      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 18:58      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still no takers?

I know there are a lot of happily married gc'ers out there [thumbsup] But I also know some of you single guys need help! Get your free romance advice, here. [Smile] (no need to thank me.)

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 19:02      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pictures, boo. Pictures*. We may be geeks, but we're still guys - meaning visually stimulated. So for you and all the other GC females who haven't put up a picture of yourselves either in your profile or in the photo directory - Get on it!

*aka: scientific evidence

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 19:17      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh puh-LEASE! This is the Geek Culture Forum. Just what are you after here, Boo? The way you post here it seems like you have found yourself a group of "special" people. Is that why you ask all these questions about relationships and such? Did you think you would find some bizarro answer here?

Frankly, my dear, you should bugger off.

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 05:36      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:

Now that's just not nice...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Reedius
Mini Geek
Member # 7130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 06:48      Profile for Reedius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah! what's the problem if she just wants to talk with someone and get to know all these cool people who come here everyday?

I'm happy now so i don't really need any advice but nice initiative. [Wink]

--------------------
Geek or Nerd?

Posts: 55 | From: aveiro, portugual | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 07:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

No it's not, but it's obviously heartfelt... [Big Grin]

Reedius: but she doesn't think we're cool, she thinks we're cute (well, the guys, anyway), but mislead, and want to educate us to the "correct" social usages she is so well worn into. Or that's how I read it, and I'd go as far as to say I'm not the only one who thinks this way about her.

I for one, would hate to use "tricks of the trade" to catch a man, as it would mean I'd have to stop being myself and start acting as someone I am not. Well, I want a man who will love me for who I am, so I'll continue to act as myself until I meet someone who will find (the real) me enthralling - and hopefully, the converse will be true, too! [hearts]

(And if there isn't any such men out there, then I'd better be happy alone than unhappy in couple. [Razz] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 07:41      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:

I for one, would hate to use "tricks of the trade" to catch a man, as it would mean I'd have to stop being myself and start acting as someone I am not. Well, I want a man who will love me for who I am, so I'll continue to act as myself until I meet someone who will find (the real) me enthralling - and hopefully, the converse will be true, too! [hearts]

(And if there isn't any such men out there, then I'd better be happy alone than unhappy in couple. [Razz] )

My sentiments exactly! If someone is not attracted to who you really are, then what's the point?
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 07:59      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

My sentiments exactly! If someone is not attracted to who you really are, then what's the point?
Sex?

I mean seriously, that's all you'd get out of it. There'd be no satisfaction or peace, since everything would be a faÁade.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 08:11      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well boo how would you advise Mika? The lad seems rather desperate. [Smile]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 08:45      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Reedius: but she doesn't think we're cool, she thinks we're cute (well, the guys, anyway), but mislead, and want to educate us to the "correct" social usages she is so well worn into. Or that's how I read it, and I'd go as far as to say I'm not the only one who thinks this way about her.

Yeah, I'd pretty much pegged her as having decided that we're her "project." I've had a few people try that with me in the past, and it never lasts long, as people generally find I'm not some kind of pet they can train. Simple non-cooperation has usually been enough for them to get the idea.

There are a number of people here I'd gladly accept love advice from, but I'm not going to take it from someone who hasn't even figured out many of the basic concepts behind community.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 09:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
quote:
quote:

Sex?

I mean seriously, that's all you'd get out of it. There'd be no satisfaction or peace, since everything would be a faÁade.

But if it's really good sex...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 09:43      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
quote:
quote:

Sex?

I was going to suggest 'what more is there?', but I said nothing.

"Why are you still here?" -- Glenn Quagmire

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 03, 2007 10:12      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Just make sure your boyfriend/husband never meets or hear about him... [evil]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 12:04      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Just make sure your boyfriend/husband never meets or hear about him... [evil]
lol - "To our wives and our sweethearts; may they never meet" [Big Grin]

Old Navy Toast

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 12 posted April 04, 2007 20:46      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Boo,

My husband's and my dog is getting in the way of our love life. She barks when we kiss and jumps on us. We have to sneak off to get away from our dog, and when she realizes we have, she follows us like a kid sibling follows his/her teenaged sister and her boyfriend!

She whines at the door if we don't let her in, and once, she barked in time with, um, yeah. She won't drink beer any more since that bender she went on as a young dog. Most of the time she's okay, but it's the times she mopes which are the worst. How do I get our dog to allow us more time together?

Signed,

Barking Mad Momma

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 21:37      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That one's easy, Barking Mad Momma, you've just got to understand that a monogaspeceisist relationship just isn't possible under some circumstances. Include your dog. You may find that, having gotten what she wanted, she doesn't want it anymore. You love your dog, don't you?

Signed,

Person who shouldn't EVER give advice. [crazy]

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 18:08      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Relationship advice? simple: Avoid 'em, like the plague, use 50 round fully automatic assault shotgun if necesesary.

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 11 posted April 05, 2007 19:46      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
Include your dog. You may find that, having gotten what she wanted, she doesn't want it anymore. You love your dog, don't you?

Signed,

Person who shouldn't EVER give advice. [crazy]

I love my dog . . . I don't LOVE my dog.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 22:27      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh puh-LEASE! This is the Geek Culture Forum. Just what are you after here, Boo? The way you post here it seems like you have found yourself a group of "special" people. Is that why you ask all these questions about relationships and such? Did you think you would find some bizarro answer here?

You know, boobookitty, I have no idea what provoked this. I have never been anything but cordial and nice to you, yet you decide to be a bitch in return. Fine, whatever. But let me give you a little tip that a *smart geek* like you ought to be able to understand: If you donít like a thread, donít post in it. [Roll Eyes]

Especially one for guys.

P.S.
I wonít be buggering off any time soon, unless Snaggy or Nitro send me packing. In fact, I may have to start spending considerably more time here. Maybe post a few more threads, even. [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 22:36      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Stereo, do you ever get tired of goading and criticizing me? Apparently not. Itís been nearly six months now. You know, itís pretty clear to anyone who comes here even semi regularly that you hate me. Is it really necessary to constantly bring that to the board? Must others continually be subjected to this nonsense from you? So you hate me. You know what, I can live with that.

And what about this - do you ever get tired of botching things up? Seriously, in the past I have generally ignored your posts because to be honest, I felt sorry for you. You constantly misread, misunderstand, and misinterpret what I am saying. Just as you did with your statement above. How it is possible for someone with even just *average* intelligence to make so many mistakes, I donít know. Thatís why I asked if English is not your first language. That would explain why you donít comprehend well and make so many grammatical errors.

You probably wonít believe this, and I donít care if you donít, but the reason I donít answer you more is because I have no desire to humiliate you further than you continually humiliate yourself. You obviously value your *standing* on this board and despite what an amazing bitch you have been to me from day one, I have no desire to demean you any further than you demean yourself. Time and time again you have presented me with more than ample opportunity to embarrass you. And time and time again, I have turned away from such opportunities and held my tongue. Partly because
I can see how desperately you need to be ďpopularĒ here (and I have no such concerns for myself) and partly because I canít be bothered.

As an example, that idiotic post you made in the thread about geek men and feminists. The one Ashitaka took you to task for. (You do realize he only hit the tip of the iceberg. I could have had a field day with that one.) You will recall I specifically noted I wasnít going to respond. Perhaps you thought my reason for doing so had something to do with me being intimidated by the magnitude of your rebuttal. [Roll Eyes] The actual reason I didnít respond was, again, I had no desire to rub salt in the gaping wound you had inflicted on yourself.

Now, once again, we find ourselves with yet another stupid, hate-mongering post from Stereo, about me. (Why do you speak about me as if Iím not here?) I would ignore this one as well, except that I see that you simply are unable to put an end to your criticisms and bizarre suspicions. I am weary of this and so I am wondering, where shall we go from here? Do you want to put an end to this or not? Itís all on your side, as you well know. After our first few rounds here when I first came, I dropped it. YOU are the one who keeps bringing it up. So let me know if you want to drop it or duke it out. I can deal with it, either way. But let me assure you, if you want to keep it up, I will stop feeling sorry for you, stop being considerate of your shortcomings and stop protecting you. The gloves will come off.

Mensa material. Right.
Just like youíre ďaverage.Ē [Roll Eyes]

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 02:39      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boo, don't be silly! and if you really want a death match with Stereo please conduct it via PMs, the rest of us don't care.

To get back to the subject of the thread maybe you could learn a few tricks from us. Our hacking skills mean we understand the inner workings of the clitoris in ways non geeks can only dream of! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 05:55      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
boo, don't be silly! and if you really want a death match with Stereo please conduct it via PMs, the rest of us don't care.

To get back to the subject of the thread maybe you could learn a few tricks from us. Our hacking skills mean we understand the inner workings of the clitoris in ways non geeks can only dream of! [Big Grin]

If they have a death match, can they at least show up naked and bring beer? [evil]

But no - seriously. I think geeks are better sex partners because we study. I know my wife and I have quite a library of books, since it's always worth discovering new stuff [Big Grin]

--------------------

Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 06:03      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah. Tension, man.

What happened to the cosmic bong? Did it only take seven months for you guys to lose it?

Kuh... [Roll Eyes]

*passes giant Vietnamese dragon-bong around*

To be fair, the younger geek-guys that I've been with haven't been too... experienced. But who wants that? I'd much rather have someone open to suggestion than someone that thinks they're God's gift and that they can tug and pull away because that's how they do it in the pornos.

Erm...

But that's sex.

As far as being lovelorn goes, I'm pretty sure that wasn't meant to be "Advice to you lovelorn geeks cause not a one of you can get a girlfriend" but rather "Advice to those that happen to be a little lovelorn at the moment".

If it was the former though, then pah. But the latter, I'd gladly have some advice.

How does one stop being attracted/attracting nutters? I would so very dearly like to know. [Smile]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 06:28      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Sorry, Calli, last time - with boo, anyway - I promise.)

No boo, I don't hate you. You just utterly annoy me. And others. (Last time I told you, you answered "Good!", remember?) But you don't care, anyway. Maybe that's what that "geek" you complained about did - ignored the usages and overstayed his welcome - because he didn't care about your social rules. (Although I would guess that the real reason lies somewhere else.) You don't know why BBK is suddenly mean to you? Because you have reached her patience treshold. And the longer you continue this behaviour, the more people will react the same.

Is it a problem for you that I know more than one language? And that I am not from the US? Because I do my best to learn Canadian English. Yes, I may still make some mistakes, but strangely, no to the point that people routinely tell me I misunderstand them*, while you have accused even native English speakers of misunderstanding you.

Let's see, what else... questionning my intelligence, "bitch", assuming I'm grasping at the straws of my "standing" and "popularity" on this board... Ah yes, Ashitaka. He never answered the PM where I described how I got to the conclusions I wrote. Not even the slightest correction, even though I expressly asked him if he found any mistake. How am I supposed to improve if nobody tells me _where_ and _how_ I am wrong? (Just telling me I am isn't enough.) Oh, and no need to "protect" me - I am not weak, and I have learned to take care of myself. Plus rubbing salt into a wound may hurt, but it helps for a clean healing. (Given that there is a wound in the first place.)

Now, if you think I and others are mislead about you, it is still time for you to explain why you came here in the first place, why you thought it would be fun place for you even though you are not a geek and have no geeky tendency, and why you think your ways are so much better than ours that it allows you to do whatever you please with total disregard of other's opinions. A proper introduction, if you will.

As for me, I'm back to avoiding answering you again. (Don't bother PMing me.)

*It happened once that a vocabulary weakness caused a problem, and I apologized to Jace.

Edit: Spoonie, you being away, I worry you've missed Ms. boo's introductory thread. Maybe you'd like to read it.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture