homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » Men, how do you like it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Men, how do you like it?
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 12:40      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been making a concerted effort to better understand the mind of men. [Smile] With that in mind, I ask this question:

If you are to receive bad or somewhat unpleasant news, do you prefer to have the messanger cut to the chase and give it to you all at once and be done, or do you prefer to have some preparation and get it a bit at a time? Thank you for your responses.

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 13:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice topic title, but you should take into account that some of us have our minds in the gutter all the time...

Anyway

I prefer to just be told the bad news without dragging it out, but I don't think that's the norm.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 14:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get really annoyed when people are obviously beating around the bush over some bad news, I'd much rather the direct approach.

The female reluctance to communicate in plain language is one of the enduring problems of the human species.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 14:11      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also say, just tell me... Nude with beer? (well, I don't drink, but that's the running gag.)

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 14:14      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
definatly all at once - I hate it when someone just plays with you and drags it on for hours or even days. But also i don't want it as quick as possible - i might be a guy but that doesn't mean i don't want to know the whole story.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 14:24      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm the same - if it is bad news... or,indeed, any news, just get to the point and don't make it take longer than it needs to take.

Ok, so bearing in mind that we are talking in broad generalisations here ('women' does not necessarily mean all women and 'men' does not necessarily mean all men ), this is how it looks to me:

I suspect that the female trait of breaking the bad news gently, by leading up to the issues slowly and setting the scene, is motivated by a desire to cause as little hurt as possible.

However, it doesn't work like that in practice. What the guy sees is controlling behaviour, in that the person imparting the bad news makes it clear that they have some information but they will only divulge that information on their terms.

Very frustrating, and massively counter-productive as it usually means that the bringer of bad news causes more upset than necessary, when they were trying to minimise the hurt.

Today's lessson??? - Cut the crap and tell me what I need to know.

YMMV, of course.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 14:26      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, men like their bad news all at once. Nudity and beer can take the sting out much better than putting it gently.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 23:01      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like all data communicated smoothly and concisely.

"Your mother died"
"You got a raise of $x"
"You suck at this - do this instead"

Much easier. Don't waste my time with all that other nonsense.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 08:29      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
Yup, men like their bad news all at once. Nudity and beer can take the sting out much better than putting it gently.

It depends on who is nude bringing beer.

Rosie O'Donnell. Roseanne Barr.

Two examples I think most men would agree would prefer clothing.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 11, 2007 08:56      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... and Janet Rhino... Oops, sorry, Reno.
Bad news are better raw, you don't lose many vitamins and because of that they're healthier.
How I love analogies!
(Please, don't start talking about antioxidants, I already know about them)

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 09:45      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey boo. Long time no see.

Give it to me hard and fast. Dont beat around my bush or try and be considerate of my feelings. Just give it to me. The more blunt you are the better.

I dont see a point in being gentle with something that you know is going to hurt. Just give it to me and get it over with.

Being in my position you learn to assume the position professionally and you learn to bite the towell proficiently. With somethings it's just better to take it than fight it.

... I just re-read all that.

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 09:56      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I get really annoyed when people are obviously beating around the bush over some bad news, I'd much rather the direct approach.

The female reluctance to communicate in plain language is one of the enduring problems of the human species.

Jess' song in that thread should be sung to the tune of the Trogdor song [Smile]

Anyway, I'd agree with the others: just say it plainly.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Reedius
Mini Geek
Member # 7130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 11:37      Profile for Reedius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup, plain and simple is the choice.

And for women to understand men is quite an easy thing to do, you just have to be logic, the problem between men and women are the incompatiblity of their method of thinking, we are logical you are illogical.

--------------------
Geek or Nerd?

Posts: 55 | From: aveiro, portugual | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 11:47      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
I like all data communicated smoothly and concisely.

"Your mother died"
"You got a raise of $x"
"You suck at this - do this instead"

Much easier. Don't waste my time with all that other nonsense.

This made me laugh. You prefer news of the death of your mother delivered in the same way you get news of a pay raise. [Big Grin]

It probably says something about me that I found that amusing. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
Give it to me hard and fast.

[blush] Isn't it the girl who's supposed to say that?

quote:
Originally posted by Reedius:
the problem between men and women are the incompatiblity of their method of thinking, we are logical you are illogical.

No soup for you!  -
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 12:13      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so anyway, the consensus is to get it all at once, no dilly dallying.

Thanks, guys. [thumbsup]

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 17:59      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boo I would of course add the corollary that this is only a general rule, and so the circumstances of any individual case may often suggest otherwise.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 05:13      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you prefer bandages (or hair wax, I dunno) to be pulled off quickly or slowly enough that you get to perceive each strand being extracted from its follicle? [Smile]
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 06:00      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general I prefer things straight up, but I'm sure there are the occasional circumstances where some context, etc is needed.

quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
Do you prefer bandages (or hair wax, I dunno) to be pulled off quickly or slowly enough that you get to perceive each strand being extracted from its follicle? [Smile]

I use a fair bit of sports tape on my ankles when I play hockey, but I take the easy way out...I shave where I know the tape is going to be. [Razz]
Don't ask me about waxing though.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 17:28      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And one more thing, boo ...

Not over dinner, OK?

Buy him a good, stiff drink. And to show everyone you are a class act, leave your Gold Card with the bartender.

Straight up truth, that's the way I'd like it done to me.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LoneWolf
Mini Geek
Member # 4966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 19:00      Profile for LoneWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like a bandage - right off!
Posts: 61 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 09:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naked with beer.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 17:46      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drunk,

You have something there ...

Tell the guy,

"Baby, let's do it tonight like it was the last time."

Then just before he's finished tell him it is the last time.

I had a girlfriend to that once. Man, I miss her. But that was quite and exit.

She knew me well. And spent my money even better.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 23:31      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Not over dinner, OK?

Oh no, that would be terrible. [Frown]
quote:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Like a bandage - right off!

I can do that. [Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Naked with beer.

No no no. Naked with beer is always good news. [Big Grin]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture