homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » Guys, help me not make a fool out of myself! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Guys, help me not make a fool out of myself!
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 06:21      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
This might become a NSFW threadjack soon... [Wink]

hehe, he said "jack", hehe...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 06:28      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

Will it help if I say 'ass' too? Or maybe 'off'? How bout '& Jill' or '& the Beanstalk'? [Razz]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 06:36      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

Will it help if I say 'ass' too? Or maybe 'off'? How bout '& Jill' or '& the Beanstalk'? [Razz]
Possibly .. although I guess it's impossible to say threadjack without jack and head ..

/coat

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crazy Girl
Geek Larva
Member # 5146

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 21:22      Profile for Crazy Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:

Crazygirl: An update is in order, I believe. [Smile]

I do apologize that this whole scenario is taking forever, but I appreciate all the posts (even the odd ones lol).

I did ask him out for dates #3 & #4. After that he suggested we start going out once a week and we have been doing that.

I finally asked him if he is interested in something beyond this weird dating/friendship thing we have and he told me he is concerned about me accepting his gaming. He thinks that once I find out what it entails I will freak out. He did acknowledge that he has feelings for me. [Big Grin]

I understand that RPGs are a big part of his life, I have no problem at all that he spends an entire day doing said activity with his friends in addition to the hours he spends playing FFXI. Do I play RPGs? No, but I do own a variety of gaming systems and enjoy playing video games.

so, how many weird things can you do with a RPG that would potentially freak me out? Any helpful tips to start a discussion about RPGs?

Posts: 22 | From: Crazy World, USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 22:35      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crazy Girl wrote:
Any helpful tips to start a discussion about RPGs?

Don't wait for the perfect moment or try to be subtle about steering the conversation toward a topic that he's hesitant to discuss. The perfect moment never occurs and he'll avoid the topic if you're trying to be subtle. Just be up front about the fact that you want discuss it.

It might help to point out to him that, if continue dating, you'll eventually find out anyway and you'll both be more comfortable once the uncertainty is eliminated.

Then you just have to hope he's not playing furry LARPs and messing around with stuffed dolphins.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 23:36      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Just ask him out! He's a fool for not doing it himself, but that's alright... just so long as he doesn't continue to ignore these things.

We are all but fools in love.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 01:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...funny to find myself quoted many months later. At least I managed to take my own advice to heart for once in a blue moon. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 01:57      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh. sorry. a bit of a necro-quote on my part.

-5 EXP...

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 08:29      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Girl:
so, how many weird things can you do with a RPG that would potentially freak me out? Any helpful tips to start a discussion about RPGs?

Let's see now... An RPG can easily blow a turret off an M1A2 Abrams main battle tank, would that freak you out? If you're into that sort of stuff, you might want to consider hooking up with Jace, he's our resident RPG expert [Razz]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 17:17      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
quote:

Let's see now... An RPG can easily blow a turret off an M1A2 Abrams main battle tank, would that freak you out? If you're into that sort of stuff, you might want to consider hooking up with Jace, he's our resident RPG expert [Razz]
I do hope the army does not suffer from this confusion. Soldiers targeting tanks with Dungeons & Dragons can only enjoy fairly limited success.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 19:35      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
quote:

I do hope the army does not suffer from this confusion. Soldiers targeting tanks with Dungeons & Dragons can only enjoy fairly limited success.
It could get worse - some poor confused bastid might target a computer-generated dragon with one of those [Smile]
Neil
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8881

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 07:48      Profile for Neil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he's taken you out on all these dates and bought you presents then he is obviously very interested in you. But you should be ready for the fact that he could be very dedicated to his RPG games, especially if they are online. It could be that everything works out fine, and his gaming does not affect the relationship. You might even start playing the RPG games with him! But if he places the game before you, or you feel that you have to compete against it, then it's time for a talk.
Posts: 14 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Crazy Girl
Geek Larva
Member # 5146

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 08:15      Profile for Crazy Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again for your replies. You have all been a tremendous help to me. I haven't dated in a very long time and when Mr. Geek appeared in front of me one day at work I went weak at the knees. It has been a long interesting road trying to get to know him but well worth the journey.

I have talked to him about the games he is currently playing and I found nothing to be frightening, just the opposite I am rather intrigued by the amount of details involved. And thanks Steen for pointing out that there will never be a perfect moment to bring this up. I just point blank started asking questions.

I hope you all don't mind if I continue to hang around GC. I rather enjoy being here.

Posts: 22 | From: Crazy World, USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 09:19      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please do. we need more girls. but a point of advice... post in some other threads for a change [Wink]

I've kind of noticed a trend of (myself included) the first area a new poster frequents are the love forums.

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 09:31      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tis true. That's how I came to be here many moons ago it seems.

*reminisces about the past*

Sigh

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 19:59      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good old SaStronomer/Crimstronomer/femalen00bstronomer days [Razz]
Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 23:38      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little late with this reply, but oh well!
Crazy Girl the guy you are liking is not an RPGer, but instead, he is an MMORPGer. This is a big difference!

FFXI (Final Fantasy, Eleven) is a Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game. This means it sucks away your soul and makes you it's living puppet. [Razz] Joking aside, MMORPG's are like life time commitments. If he is concerned about you accepting his gaming, I think you should check it out.

I think you're in a great position personally. Why? You know his big interest.
If he's hugely into FFXI, I think a great idea for you is to discuss playing FFXI with him. What?!?! Well let me explain this. If you're a chick, and he likes you, and you OFFER to check out his hobby this is a huge deal. I would kill for a girlfriend to give my hobbies a fighting chance (mainly because I know they may get hooked too! Gamer chicks rock! Oh and I play MMORPG's from time to time haha. I even played FFXI, 56 WHM).

Here are other benefits: You can potentially play the game under a trial, for free. If he likes the idea of you playing he can get a 30 day buddy pass for you (either by his purchases or a friend's) and you will be able to go home, possibly run it on your PC and hang out with him every night. Yes, you may think "it's only in Text!" but you get to see his world. You will get to learn a lot about him, I bet, if he's highly active in the game. Most shy people really shine in a game. Plus you may enjoy the game too!

I mean, if you are serious about this guy, you should give his hobby a chance. If I met a girl I was interested in and she was absolutely into crafting, or some thing I never really enjoy, I would give that hobby my best shot just so I could talk to this person and enjoy the conversation. Best way to do this is you fuel the energy you have of liking him into seeming interested in the hobby he does. In the end you may like it more than you realize.

Once you understand his commitment to gaming and he understands you see his gaming tendances, you will definitely score points with him especially if you can accept his hobby! If he can show the same sort of commitment for you then you are in a the beginning of a great relationship I would think!

--------------------
I must not be popular. I only got 2 stars. :(

Posts: 63 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture