homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » men with glasses (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: men with glasses
freja42
Mini Geek
Member # 6685

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 16:10      Profile for freja42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, I know most non-geek girls don't get this but it can't just be me, can it?

Why are men with glasses so incredibly attractive?
I feel like I've been brainwashed as a child...

Posts: 93 | From: Sweden | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 16:51      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Are they really? [Razz]

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 17:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know...I guess we're just dead sexy and can't help it. [Razz]

Personally, I rather like them on the fairer sex as well. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
freja42
Mini Geek
Member # 6685

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 01:13      Profile for freja42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
 -

Are they really? [Razz]

There are glasses and then there are glasses, of course. [Wink]
On the other hand, if you have a pic of him without glasses and compare it with the one WITH glasses...
The glasses sort of adds a certain hotness factor to anyone. [Wink]

freja42
Mini Geek
Member # 6685

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 01:15      Profile for freja42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I don't know...I guess we're just dead sexy and can't help it. [Razz]

It's difficult being sexy, I know. [Wink]

quote:

Personally, I rather like them on the fairer sex as well. [Wink]

Yes, a true geek you are! [Big Grin]
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 08:58      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by freja42:

Glasses tend to magnify the eyes, and we commonly associate large eyes with the trait of intelligence...large eyes also trigger a maternal instinct in many women, since it's an infantile trait.

I don't swing either way on this one, but I do appreciate a man who can wear glasses well. It's one more article of clothing I get the pleasure of taking off of him! [evil]

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 09:41      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glasses are a truly great, great thing on a guy... I agree with you entirely, freja [Big Grin] . I'd prefer it if a glasses-wearing geek took them off before trying to kiss me, though... getting poked in the eye by someone else's glasses = no fun [Razz] .
Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 09:42            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it's always to your advantage if he can't see you during sex.
IP: Logged
freja42
Mini Geek
Member # 6685

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 09:43      Profile for freja42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:

Glasses tend to magnify the eyes, and we commonly associate large eyes with the trait of intelligence...large eyes also trigger a maternal instinct in many women, since it's an infantile trait.

Yes, I am familiar with the "big eyes" theory. Have you seen Elijah Woods? Man, what's he gonna look like when he's 50?? *mindboggling* Heh, but maybe that's why all the teen girls love him so much? [Wink]

But I think that's not what happens with all glasses though.
And well, I should perhaps specify that it's not ALL glasses that does it for me, neither are all men with glasses. [Wink]
It's just that...I don't know. I'm just weird. [Wink]
I'll show you a bunch of guys with glasses, when I can collect them. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:

I don't swing either way on this one, but I do appreciate a man who can wear glasses well. It's one more article of clothing I get the pleasure of taking off of him! [evil]

*lol* Glasses shouldn't be too big either. Not like 70's glasses. *shudders*
And OMG I just had this thought that perhaps taking the glasses off when making out is a bad idea! *lol*
SOrry, now I drifted off into bad zone here...

freja42
Mini Geek
Member # 6685

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 09:45      Profile for freja42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
Glasses are a truly great, great thing on a guy... I agree with you entirely, freja [Big Grin] . I'd prefer it if a glasses-wearing geek took them off before trying to kiss me, though... getting poked in the eye by someone else's glasses = no fun [Razz] .

That's the problem, isn't it? I have glasses too. Two geeks with glasses kissing = possible clinking problem. [Wink]
freja42
Mini Geek
Member # 6685

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 09:46      Profile for freja42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
I suppose it's always to your advantage if he can't see you during sex.

[devil wand] Ahem, until I've lost more weight, maybe so. [evil]
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 09:46      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

That's the problem, isn't it? I have glasses too. Two geeks with glasses kissing = possible clinking problem. [Wink]
You should try two geeks with braces. (That would be me and my husband.) [crazy]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
freja42
Mini Geek
Member # 6685

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 09:59      Profile for freja42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
You should try two geeks with braces. (That would be me and my husband.) [crazy]

*lol* Ouch!
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 11:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

And what's the problem with that?

Then again, I'm kind of forgetful...I suppose it can be something of a nuisance, but I suppose I wouldn't mind a refresher course one bit. [Razz]

Also, I should suppose it's a trust thing, but I have a feeling one will find some geeks rather hesistant to let anyone handle their glasses for some time. For some of us, those bits of metal and glass (or polycarb.) are rather essential, and must be treated carefully. Anyone who's only used to sunglasses might not put them somewhere where they can't be broken. (After all, to 20/20 [uncorreted] vision folks, sunglasses can be readily replaced if broken...and for well under $100. I just got my lenses replaced...for $145. Frames are a lot more...) I think the proper answer to all this is...date someone who also wears glasses. [Big Grin] (And isn't a flake!)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 13:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be getting a whole lot sexier soon [Frown]

/me is finding it increasingly difficult to cope with the screen set to its current resolution

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
freja42
Mini Geek
Member # 6685

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 13:41      Profile for freja42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I may be getting a whole lot sexier soon [Frown]

/me is finding it increasingly difficult to cope with the screen set to its current resolution

I've been having similar problems but it's only a year or so since I got new glasses. I really don't want to know that my eyesight gets worse.
Well, I want to know it but I don't want it to be the case. *grumbles*
Glasses are expensive...

I did hear a rumour that if you spend a lot of time in front of the screen, your eyes gets ruined. It better not be true...

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 13:50      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how you feel TFD, I now have to wear glasses all the time when working with a screen and sometimes I take them to the cinema.

I find that my arms are not long enough to read books anymore and so I have now started to wear them when I read.

In other words, apart from when I am driving or sleeping I have a tendancy to wear my glasses all the time.

And to think I used to have 20/20 vision.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
freja42
Mini Geek
Member # 6685

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 13:59      Profile for freja42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And what's the problem with that?

Then again, I'm kind of forgetful...I suppose it can be something of a nuisance, but I suppose I wouldn't mind a refresher course one bit. [Razz]

It's not a big problem really. You just have to be careful so the glasses don't get caught in each other. On the other hand, that could be interesting too. [Wink]
And like I said earlier - some men are so damn hot in glasses, it's worth it. [Big Grin]

quote:

Also, I should suppose it's a trust thing, but I have a feeling one will find some geeks rather hesistant to let anyone handle their glasses for some time. For some of us, those bits of metal and glass (or polycarb.) are rather essential, and must be treated carefully.

Yes, I agree. I've had glasses since I was about 1 year old, then for a couple of years I didn't need any and then had to start wearing them again.
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 14:37            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I did hear a rumour that if you spend a lot of time in front of the screen, your eyes gets ruined. It better not be true...

Hm ... That would be me, I barely leave the thing. My eyesight is so so -- I need glasses for white/blackboards and bus numbers but they're broken and I don't need them right now, so I don't wear them.

But my eyesight is not changing, despite years of staring at a monitor. But I do tend to look around, look down at the keyboard, doodle, scribble notes, all sorts that does keep my eyes in routine refocusing.

freja42
Mini Geek
Member # 6685

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2006 01:37      Profile for freja42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
That would be me, I barely leave the thing. My eyesight is so so -- I need glasses for white/blackboards and bus numbers but they're broken and I don't need them right now, so I don't wear them.

But my eyesight is not changing, despite years of staring at a monitor. But I do tend to look around, look down at the keyboard, doodle, scribble notes, all sorts that does keep my eyes in routine refocusing.

Well, it could be just a myth. [Wink]
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2006 07:09      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is something some of you may find interesting...

I am over forty and about a couple of years ago I realised I was having some problems with reading, I already wear glasses for distance vision (like more than about 8ft away) so naturally I just went and got some reading glasses - though the optitian said the correction was barely measurable... unsurprisingly I found they made very little difference.

Some of you may remember that while my stepdaughter lived with us we discovered she had Irlen's Syndrome (go Google, it is very interesting and amazingly underdetected - here is a good starter) and I realised that some of the problems I was having bore a resemblance to those described by a lot of Irlen's sufferers.

Anyway a bit of research led my friend Andy (who admitted to noticing similar symptoms) and I to discover that evidence is accumulating that age can also bring on milder forms of the Irlen style symptoms. Luckily we located a pretty local optitian that offers the colour screening service and I went to have a normal eyetest and the colour screening - seems I have developed a sensitivity to yellow (blue lenses are used to help correct this, interestingly I had much less trouble reading on-screen than off the printed page, because my monitors are set to a "daylight colour" calibration, which is a fairly blue/white while real paper is actually much more of a yellow/white...)

Though my personal evidence is obviously purely empirical and subjective I found the addition of the blue filters to my reading glasses totally restored clarity and ease of comprehension in a way the actual optical correction had failed to do, so much so that I now generally use them for onscreen work too (where I have noticed that my eyes get much less tired than without them). Also we had a new darkroom system installed at work that requires the monitor on the RIP to have a yellow safelight filter fitted, and I find this monitor almost physically painful to look at without my blue lenses...

So, having a few problems reading the way you used to? Maybe you should look into it... and if you have or know children with any of a range of learning difficulties or seemingly intractible ADHD style symptoms perhaps you should look into getting them tested - in severe sufferers like my step daughter the improvements are astounding and almost instantaneous - truly! And no, until I saw the effect it had on Amy I didn't believe that could be possible either...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
freja42
Mini Geek
Member # 6685

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 15:25      Profile for freja42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds fascinating! I can't say that I seem to have the symptoms but I might get my eyes checked anyway...
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 15:47            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are your eyes meant to have persistence at all? I get persistence sometimes in the same way that you see it on a CRT: a trail behind a bright object, such as my hand, or if I am walking past a bright object. It's quite weird, and something I don't recall seeing as a kid.

The thing is, I have very fast receptive speed: I can see 60, even 70 Hz CRT flicker (and that's seemingly very unusual as most screens seem to default to 60 and no-one notices), so I shouldn't be able to see trails out behind anything.

Not sure if it's just perfectly normal?

never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 20:10      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose everyone has something odd that they are attracted to. But I don't realy think that this one is all that odd.

And I do happen to like glasses. A lot. Unfortunately, I usually have more fascination for the glasses themselves, as opposed to the man behind them, or the combined power.

[Smile]

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2006 16:34      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uellian, Get a checkup for your eyes... I notice the same thing in my eyes when I need new glasses (yearly) but my Rx has been the same for 5+ years (20/200) it was (for me) caused by a change in the diopter of my eye...(I am still growing) (P.S. the speed of your Reina/Optic Nerve amazes me)

As far as the whole Screen/eyesight deal... If you are staring at an LCD there is less to worry about... CRTs emit Phosphor based radiation that takes about 24" to diminish... this reacts with your corneas and retinas causing deterioration that leads to poor eyesight. This is not the case in LCDs as the display technology is different... and yes I know... I need to get myself a G/F and I need to get out more. You all have the right to slap me for sharing that which I should not understand at 18...

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture