homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » Given a choice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Given a choice
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 14:57      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
would you ever consider giving up geekdom to be something more socially acceptable?
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 17:41            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hum ... I will presume that mean that I actually have a choice. But I don't have a choice, so much so that if you took away everything that makes me a nerd there'd not be a lot of me left after that, so you'd have to replace all of that with a whole new person.

But socially acceptable seems to be rather too much partying, getting drunk and sex. OK, sad to say, plenty of geeks also seem to think it's OK to abuse alcohol too, which is a great shame.

Would I want to lose all of what makes me who I am to just become another meaningless face in the crowd, interested in cheap thrills and cheap sex? I don't think so, I'd rather remain socially outcast if that's the price I have to pay to remain the English eccentric nerd that I am.

IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 18:04      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. "To thine own self be true" is one of the creeds I live by.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 20:01      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to hear that from both of you. [Big Grin]
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 20:56      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm a biochemistry/pre-med major, I know more about movies/video games/music than I should, I was on a state qualifying Academic Challenge team througout high school and proudly wear my band/chior letters. I am a geek to my very core and wouldn't change a thing.... [Razz]

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 21:11      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on my previous comment, then, Spaz. [Smile]
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 22:07            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's two of Spaz? That might explain a lot, eh Kris? :)
IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 01:08      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Hum ... I will presume that mean that I actually have a choice. But I don't have a choice, so much so that if you took away everything that makes me a nerd there'd not be a lot of me left after that, so you'd have to replace all of that with a whole new person.

But socially acceptable seems to be rather too much partying, getting drunk and sex. OK, sad to say, plenty of geeks also seem to think it's OK to abuse alcohol too, which is a great shame.

Would I want to lose all of what makes me who I am to just become another meaningless face in the crowd, interested in cheap thrills and cheap sex? I don't think so, I'd rather remain socially outcast if that's the price I have to pay to remain the English eccentric nerd that I am.

[thumbsup] [thumbsup] I couldn't agree more

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 07:37      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There's two of Spaz? That might explain a lot, eh Kris? [Smile]

I'm pretty sure that I haven't figured out how to clone myself yet... so for now there's only one of me.... pretty sure...

Wait, explains what???

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 03:28      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It depends on the person .. for some geeks, they are quite comfortable in that sort of environment, others are not. As a geek who has made the transition from a stay at home on a Saturday night watching the Bill to spending a fair amount of time partying, partying surprisingly fits me more. YMMV. However, one thing I do believe is that geeks seem less interested in "fitting in", and well tend to only assimilate if they already want to, not just for the sake of it.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 03:39      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
However, one thing I do believe is that geeks seem less interested in "fitting in", and well tend to only assimilate if they already want to, not just for the sake of it.

I'd agree with you there, csk. Personally, the last few years for me have been all about figuring out my interests and ideas, and this means a move away from what would conventionally be considered 'geeky' traits and habits (not drinking or partying, shyness etc) to being a more outgoing, sociable individual, with a wider spectrum of things which make up who I am. This doesn't mean that I'm no longer a geek. On the contrary, gaining confidence and friends means that I'm less afraid to embrace the geeky side of myself. You can be both a geek and something more socially acceptable, I think. "Geekiness" no longer has the outsider status it once had.
Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 05:02      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Would I want to lose all of what makes me who I am to just become another meaningless face in the crowd, interested in cheap thrills and cheap sex?

Cheap thrills and cheap sex? Yes yes yes please! I can't afford expensive ones. I'll pass on stupid ones like drunk driving though. And sadly sex with another sentient human being (my ideal!) is never cheap. [Frown]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 05:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous wrote:
And sadly sex with another sentient human being (my ideal!) is never cheap. [Frown]

It can be, if you do it right [Wink]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 07:57      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... and thou canst not be false to any other person.

Just be yourself. Dont get caught up with what everyone else thinks. You have to understand, we are a society. What we do is acceptable, and if we didn't do it, you wouldn't be able to surf GC from your Palm Trio and download 100Tb of pr0n from your Cell Phone.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 08:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF you try to be anything other than who you are, you will lose your mind.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 10:49      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
would you ever consider giving up geekdom to be something more socially acceptable?

Socially acceptable doesn't pay as well.
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 13:28      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what do you mean, "Given a choice?"

I have a choice. I choose to do whatever I want. Jumping out of planes, diving miles below the sea, rollin with 16 gangs and a prostitute. I do what I want! I dont do what I do because I dont have a choice. I love what I do and I'm happy doing just that! I am who I am!

icee_donut
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2623

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 00:14      Profile for icee_donut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried that for a while in high school, the whole 'fitting in' thing. Now I look back and wonder how stupid (and illiterate) I must have seemed. It wasn't until I met a good friend who shared my love of computer games that I began to realise I could be nerdy... and have friends.

--------------------
so beats the final coda... of a vinyl storm... one more cherry cola... to lift up her dead arms

Posts: 13 | From: Adelaide | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 09:21      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was unaware geek and socially acceptable were mutually exclusive.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 09:28      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

It all matters which social circles you run in.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 09:50      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

As my youngest daughter would say, "Geez! What a geek!"

[Big Grin] gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture