homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » Do you feel like a misfit? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do you feel like a misfit?
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 14:55      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because you're a geek ..
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 15:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because of the fact that I'm a geek? No.

Because of the fact that I'm more attracted to a woman if she can belch loudly? Yes.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 15:23      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is this fascination with belching, farting women you have? [crazy] *scratches head* (and more importantly, are there many out there? Because, (thankfully) I don't know any) [Big Grin]
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 16:24      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but not because I'm a geek. I just don't have a lot of the same interests that most people do I guess.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 16:40      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My eldest daughter is quite the belcher. At her age it makes her very popular with the boys. I never thought it would serve her past, say, college, but maybe there's hope. Or should I say fear, with the likes of Steen to look forward to as a son-in-law [devil wand]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 17:54            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Women are odd. They seem to want to address the man/woman inequality issue by debasing themselves to the level of loutish men. Am I turned on by women who belch? No. I wonder why they're lowering their standards so much. (But in Steen's case they have a redeeming feature that they're also smart but I doubt that this is typically the case). And smoking -- it's cool for blokes to take on such a foul and noxious habit and now women try to equalise by doing same. And then women exact revenge on men by pushing them down in the workplace, proving they're no better than the men they replaced instead of showing superiority by being fair and just. What are they trying to prove exactly?

But to the original question, it depends on perspective. Do I feel like a misfit? Yes, but to the planet as a whole which I don't recognise as my own. But I could argue that most people are misfits in the beautiful world that they're corrupting and destroying ... The Earth did not start out in the mess it's in now, so by what basis can any decent folk call themselves misfits? We're not the ones who would have caused such wanton destruction to this planet and ruined so many lives.

IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 18:07      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on what you call being a misfit, I suppose. If you mean do I feel as if I'm not normal, that's pretty easy to answer - of course I'm not, or I wouldn't be on a forum called "Geek Culture" to begin with!

If you mean something pejorative, however, then no. I feel as if I don't fit, perhaps, but it's everyone else's fault - there is nothing wrong with being intelligent, scholarly, or ethical.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 20:00      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Yes, but not because I'm a geek. I just don't have a lot of the same interests that most people do I guess.

Well here's one that you have with someone: Two of the people you want to meet are in my top three list of favorite writers of all time. [Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
My eldest daughter is quite the belcher. At her age it makes her very popular with the boys. I never thought it would serve her past, say, college, but maybe there's hope. Or should I say fear, with the likes of Steen to look forward to as a son-in-law [devil wand]

[Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Women are odd.

And then women exact revenge on men by pushing them down in the workplace, proving they're no better than the men they replaced instead of showing superiority by being fair and just. What are they trying to prove exactly?

I agree. Women are odd. Would you prefer a world without them, then?

But why should they show superiority? Who says they are superior? I certainly don't think they are.
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:

If you mean something pejorative, however, then no. I feel as if I don't fit, perhaps, but it's everyone else's fault - there is nothing wrong with being intelligent, scholarly, or ethical.

Hear, hear!
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 22:16            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, women want to show their superiority over men in vengeance for us dominating them for so long. But they're going about it the whole wrong way.

A world without women? I'd like a world without people. I don't know if I appreciate gender or not or whether I seek a genderless society, of hermaphrodites ... I don't know. Too many years going by and nothing but increasing confusion.

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 05:58      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No, women want to show their superiority over men in vengeance for us dominating them for so long. But they're going about it the whole wrong way.

A world without women? I'd like a world without people. I don't know if I appreciate gender or not or whether I seek a genderless society, of hermaphrodites ... I don't know. Too many years going by and nothing but increasing confusion.

A world without any people would be problematic. Sometimes I just wish that people acted more rationally. If they did, society wouldn't be in the mess that it is now.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 07:02      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A world without any people would be problematic. Sometimes I just wish that people acted more rationally. If they did, society wouldn't be in the mess that it is now.

How would a world without any people be problematic? Standing aside for a minute, looking objectively at the situation, and putting aside your own feelings of wanting to exist, a world without people would be MUCH better off. No pollution, no overpopulation, no global warming (aside from the ***very*** gradual natural warming of the ending ice age), no wars, no toxic landfills, no unearthed hydrocarbons, no extraneous electromagnetic radiation.... If it weren't for humans, the Earth would still be in it's natural state and well balanced. Lets face it, folks, Agent Smith was right, we are a disease to this planet.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 07:16      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a post like that, some might think you fell off the wagon.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 07:45      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow hon... no more Matrix for you....

/me hands MMKK "Where The Sidewalk Ends" and tells him this will make it better

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 08:06      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
quote:

How would a world without any people be problematic? Standing aside for a minute, looking objectively at the situation, and putting aside your own feelings of wanting to exist, a world without people would be MUCH better off. No pollution, no overpopulation, no global warming (aside from the ***very*** gradual natural warming of the ending ice age), no wars, no toxic landfills, no unearthed hydrocarbons, no extraneous electromagnetic radiation.... If it weren't for humans, the Earth would still be in it's natural state and well balanced. Lets face it, folks, Agent Smith was right, we are a disease to this planet.
When are we going to start designing great orbital cities so we can let the Earth recover from all the damage humans have caused?

Surely as a community of geeks it should be no trouble for us. We've got physicists, chemists, biologists and engineers, what more do we need? Ok, maybe a little large scale fraud is on the cards to get the funds needed. Any politicians here for that? Lawyers too.

It's not an impossible task my fellow geeks. [crazy]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 08:36      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A world without people wouldn't be a 'world' would it? It would just be a planet, wouldn't it? Unless it were the former Pluto, of course, in which case it is merely an astronomic anomaly of some sort. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 09:41      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
A world without people wouldn't be a 'world' would it? It would just be a planet, wouldn't it? Unless it were the former Pluto, of course, in which case it is merely an astronomic anomaly of some sort. [Big Grin]

I'm going to argue that it would still be a world, because it would still contain a biosphere, just that the biosphere wouldn't contain us.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 10:11      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's take the 'if a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?' approach to this problem.

Really, if a world contains no people, is it important? Not really, at least in my view. I mean, if we're not around to experience it, who cares?

Maybe one day we'll get to the point where we can back pedal and let the earth 'recover' from everything that we've used it for. Or maybe, just maybe, we'll do what comes naturally to us and achieve a point of technological prowess such that we can shape the environment. This is a solution I would prefer, because instead of having our unwillingness to destroy the earth out of respect for th earth itself (which is a flimsy argument and holds no weight in my book), we can use our technology skillz to build a better earth. That's what I'm hoping for.

We talk about leaving earth to let it heal from the 'wounds' we've caused it. Alright, well, what happens when we come back? Won't we just cause more wounds, and have to repeat the cycle? So why don't we try to start shaping our environment (and I don't just mean the ecology) instead of letting it dictate what we do; we are humans, after all. As far as we've observed, we're the smartest beings in the entire universe.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 11:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A world without any people would be problematic.

For whom?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 11:57      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've a scar on my hind end that would contest this assertion.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 20:31      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
quote:

You're attaching values to aspects of nature, which can be neither good nor bad. You say the world would be better without us, and compare us to a disease. However, diseases are part of the "natural" state of the planet, and are neither good nor bad. Was it bad when cataclysms happened in the past, before humanity came along?

Protecting the environment is about us, not about the world.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 21:19      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death."
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 21:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GMx wrote:
Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport

You've not had a lot of pet cats, have you?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 22:57            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had a pet primate cat, although that might describe some of Joel Veitch's creations ...
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 12:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What are they trying to prove exactly?

That they can do the job. It's something you have to be a woman in a male-dominated field to understand.

It's not behavior I engage in or endorse, but I know where it come from. In a lot of traditionally male-dominated fields, a woman has to be as good as an outstanding man to be considered mediocre. To be seen as outstanding,she more or less has to step outside the bounds of humanity. Things are getting better in science - I've been having a far easier time than, say, my mom's generation - but I have run into this attitude in the past. I may in the future, but as things currently stand, I've managed to more or less step outside the bounds of humanity. Bold statement, I know. But I can back it up, and to be honest, when I think about what I've done in the last year and a half or so, I don't feel proud. I feel tired. Really fscking tired.

As far as being a misfit goes, I embrace my misfit-ness, and, on some rare occasions, I even manage to transcend it. I work with other people who do the same. Once you've gotten over yourself life just gets so much better.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 13:44            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then, I guess, I don't understand the idea of a male-dominated society. What's wrong with women? (OK, metric ton(ne)s of stuff, but men are no better, it's a case of pick your poison really)

Though you already know that I don't live in the real world.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture