homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » The signs of a shy guy (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The signs of a shy guy
SaSa
Mini Geek
Member # 4494

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 16, 2005 23:31      Profile for SaSa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can a girl tell if a shy guy likes her if he's so shy he doesn't seem interested?

--------------------
Lalala!

Posts: 62 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2005 23:42      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
asking you to remove your clothes and bring him some beer would be a pretty damn good indication that he might like you...
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 04:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SaSa_________________You may be confusing shyness with lack of courage, fear of rejection. You may have to watch him out of the corner of your eye to see if he is watching you.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 05:22      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make a move and watch him break out in the most horrific sweat you've ever seen. [Wink]
Wick
Mini Geek
Member # 4608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 11:39      Profile for Wick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SaSa:
How can a girl tell if a shy guy likes her if he's so shy he doesn't seem interested?

My best advice would be to keep talking to him. Don't count on him to make any real conversations.

If he is shy he is probably already uncertain about your intentions. Shy folk are more catious about everything they do. They won't poor themselves out just to be hurt in the end...they need hard evidence that something is there.

You must have the hots for a shy guy then? If not don't worry about a shy guy liking you and concentrate on the ones that are letting you know....if you do then just keep bugging him...maybe even try being straight forward.

If you think that is a scary dilemma ...then try liking a shy girl and being shy yourself....now that is sucky. It's like running and getting nowhere. [shake head]

--------------------
-= "There comes a time in a man's life when he must roll the dice and except the outcome" =-

Posts: 80 | From: OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 13:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sit on him.

If he seems embarrassed, but doesn't try to get away, he's interested.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 15:59      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Shy guy suffer from many things:

- Fear of Rejection
- Akwardness

I would consider myself a shy guy, I was with this girl, and I didn't think she was interested in me. But, we got to talking, and we were walking along, I was holding her slightly, she didn't pull away, groping her... both up and down... I was waiting for "Hey, what the hell are you doing?", or a really hard slap across the face. No go.

My reaction was like "WTF".. So I figured hey why not try my luck. I asked her if she wanted to have sex with me sometime. Sure enough 7 days later, she was naked in my bed. Still I was like "WTF!, I have to be dreaming or something".

Let's just say... it was a boring night. Should have read the fine manual. Oh well, such is life.

Sometimes things in life, come full circle. There is this girl I helped at work and she called me recently, after leaving her number and photo with a coworker of mine, who was told to give it to me.

The skeptic in me, was like this is not happening. It must be a joke, lo and behold she calls me a couple of days later at work, and asks me if I want to "hook up" sometime. I was like sure, I gave her my number, and left it at that.

The whole scenario of these past few months were wild. It was like a feeling of this can't be happening to me.

I still have to call her back though. I wonder why she hasn't called me. Gotta google "The Rules" now.

That was the first time I saw a girl naked in my bed. She did have an amazing body though. And she owned a Powerbook :0) .

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2005 16:01      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Make a move and watch him break out in the most horrific sweat you've ever seen. [Wink]

Yes, that definately has happened to me.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 17, 2005 20:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny thing, I don't quite see you as a shy guy, Maggs. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wick
Mini Geek
Member # 4608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 06:06      Profile for Wick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maggs:
quote:

Shy guy suffer from many things:

- Fear of Rejection
- Akwardness

I would consider myself a shy guy, I was with this girl, and I didn't think she was interested in me. But, we got to talking, and we were walking along, I was holding her slightly, she didn't pull away, groping her... both up and down... I was waiting for "Hey, what the hell are you doing?", or a really hard slap across the face. No go.

My reaction was like "WTF".. So I figured hey why not try my luck. I asked her if she wanted to have sex with me sometime. Sure enough 7 days later, she was naked in my bed. Still I was like "WTF!, I have to be dreaming or something".

Let's just say... it was a boring night. Should have read the fine manual. Oh well, such is life.

Sometimes things in life, come full circle. There is this girl I helped at work and she called me recently, after leaving her number and photo with a coworker of mine, who was told to give it to me.

The skeptic in me, was like this is not happening. It must be a joke, lo and behold she calls me a couple of days later at work, and asks me if I want to "hook up" sometime. I was like sure, I gave her my number, and left it at that.

The whole scenario of these past few months were wild. It was like a feeling of this can't be happening to me.

I still have to call her back though. I wonder why she hasn't called me. Gotta google "The Rules" now.

That was the first time I saw a girl naked in my bed. She did have an amazing body though. And she owned a Powerbook :0) .

--------------------
-= "There comes a time in a man's life when he must roll the dice and except the outcome" =-

SaSa
Mini Geek
Member # 4494

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted December 18, 2005 15:48      Profile for SaSa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I did have a thing for this guy at work, who's so shy he won't speak louder then a whisper. But we were talking the other night, and it turned out he did seem interested because he asked me out for Chinese (after about an hour of beating around the bush....LOL, I was like "Just hurry up and ask already, or I'll do it myself!"), but then he said something stupid that totally turned me off.

He said "reading is for geeks and losers, and the really hot girls don't read."

Just because he's shy doesn't mean he's nice....or smart LOL!!!

--------------------
Lalala!

AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 19:34      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple! does he turn his head off to some odd direction or another _EVERY_ time you look at him?

if so, it pobably means he is interested to at least some minimal level. either that or perhaps he just has a natural staring problem.

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 20:09      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Normally shy guys are okay with talking in group (or at least chipping in the usual comment) and in a group is okay talking to girl who he is not interested in. He would only have a problem with talking in a group to a girl he IS interested in, or if he and the girl were alone.

Thats my experience anyway. [crazy]

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 21:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So....um...speaking of shy guys...

/me raises hand.

Hi, I'm dragonman97, and I'm more than a bit shy when it comes to starting conversations with people I don't know.

Tonight, I was visiting my friend at the coffee house where she works, and after I'd had more than a fair bit of coffee, I saw this rather cute girl come in with some friends. I was nearby, and talking to some of my friend's friends about anime and manga, but all the while, admiring a lovely sight. She returned the glance, and I'd say smiled...perhaps at me, perhaps just to herself. Anyway, time went on, I stayed around the same place, she drifted off to a table with her friends (another girl, and that girl's boyfriend, it would seem). I think I caught a glance of hers once or twice, and probably did mite bit of 'visual flirting' myself as well. (The fact that I was in a somewhat 'happy place' w.r.t. the coffee probably contributed a bit more to the smile that was likely on my face.)

Now then...I went back to my table/briefcase for a moment or two, which conveniently happened to be a table away from here...ostensibly to check something in my bag (actually, the real reason, at that! [Wink] ), and she seemed to follow me much of the time with her stare.

/me slaps forehead a few times...

But...I didn't say anything! Grr...damn it....

So, what the hell could I have done, anyway? How exactly should one go about interrupting a group of people to talk to one kind of interesting person, especially when you're shabby at small talk? (I'm not exactly grand at Smalltalk (Alan Kay), either.) After I'd left, I wondered if I could have somehow approached it from the manner of, "You're not at all related to [Jessycat's sister], are you? You remind me of her, albeit a tad shorter. [Smile] " ('Twas kind of funny, it's true.)

/me grumbles at passing up an opportunity of sorts...

Meh.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 21:31      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

/me raises hand.

Hi, I'm dragonman97, and I'm more than a bit shy when it comes to starting conversations with people I don't know.

Tonight, I was visiting my friend at the coffee house where she works, and after I'd had more than a fair bit of coffee, I saw this rather cute girl come in with some friends. I was nearby, and talking to some of my friend's friends about anime and manga, but all the while, admiring a lovely sight. She returned the glance, and I'd say smiled...perhaps at me, perhaps just to herself. Anyway, time went on, I stayed around the same place, she drifted off to a table with her friends (another girl, and that girl's boyfriend, it would seem). I think I caught a glance of hers once or twice, and probably did mite bit of 'visual flirting' myself as well. (The fact that I was in a somewhat 'happy place' w.r.t. the coffee probably contributed a bit more to the smile that was likely on my face.)

Now then...I went back to my table/briefcase for a moment or two, which conveniently happened to be a table away from here...ostensibly to check something in my bag (actually, the real reason, at that! [Wink] ), and she seemed to follow me much of the time with her stare.

So, what the hell could I have done, anyway? How exactly should one go about interrupting a group of people to talk to one kind of interesting person, especially when you're shabby at small talk? (I'm not exactly grand at Smalltalk (Alan Kay), either.) After I'd left, I wondered if I could have somehow approached it from the manner of, "You're not at all related to [Jessycat's sister], are you? You remind me of her, albeit a tad shorter. [Smile] " ('Twas kind of funny, it's true.)

Meh.

Good morning Dragonman. At least you just grumble at yourself, I have a permanent dent in my butt from kicking myself.

Maybe if something good and convenient like that happens again you can approach her(or whichever lucky girl happens to have caught your eye)and introduce yourself. Then say you were going to get another cup from your friend, the best barrista in the tri-state area. Offer to buy her some. Maybe you can phrase it in such a way that she can give her opinion of your friends coffee skills.

Good job on the eye-flirting. Now little grasshopper it is time to take it to the next level......conversation. You can do it! You are too young to be a grumpy old man. ahahahahaha!

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
SaSa
Mini Geek
Member # 4494

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 21:40      Profile for SaSa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could just stand on a chair and shout "Fire!!" Then everyone would run out and you could talk to her alone!....Ok, I know, back to the drawing board...

--------------------
Lalala!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 22:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Or you could just stand on a chair and shout "Fire!!" Then everyone would run out and you could talk to her alone!....Ok, I know, back to the drawing board...

Um...you do realize that is specifically mentioned in the Declaration of Independence as a bad thing, right?

</grumpy-old-man>

--------------------

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 23:09      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

/me raises hand.

Meh.

Dude, don't pay too much attention to those smiles; most of the time, it's simply a matter of being polite – not acknowledging someone’s glance, or worse yet, returning a cold stare is a rude, even somewhat hostile gesture. Well, unless that particular glance was in fact a Homer Simpson-style stare, complete with drooling and all the other good stuff. I mean, I get plenty of smiles, even though I probably rate a solid minus five on a zero to ten appearance scale - heck, if I felt bad about every time some random chick smiled at me and I didn't do anything, I would've probably committed suicide a long time ago, or something along those lines. Just smile back and carry on whatever you happen to be doing - if the girl is in fact interested, she'll be the one who starts the conversation. All IMHO, of course - if someone thinks I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

Oh my, I’ve refrained from making a zorro-esque comment and instead posted something semi-serious. What the hell is happening to me?

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 23:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, sh*t, dude, way to boost my self-esteem. [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------

YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 23:20      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dp004i is a little bit correct. If she had done the old 'quick smile and look away' then he would be right.

Dudes, c'mon. Several smiles. Her stare wandered with you over to your bag. It wasn't just politeness. You know, maybe you might run into her again there. Yay! Then you can let us know how your 1st conversation and coffee went! [Smile]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 23:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YaYawoman:
dp004i is a little bit correct. If she had done the old 'quick smile and look away' then he would be right.

Dudes, c'mon. Several smiles. Her stare wandered with you over to your bag. It wasn't just politeness. You know, maybe you might run into her again there. Yay! Then you can let us know how your 1st conversation and coffee went! [Smile]

/me is a doubtful cynic who figures he'll never run into her again. Actually, I have a credible notion that suggests why this might be true. So, I blew it. C'est la vie.

P.S. I get the distinct impression she might have been bored with her company. Perhaps that would also just explain an interest in being distracted, and that's all. Yay for downplaying things. [Big Grin]

--------------------

YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2005 23:44      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me again. Well, maybe you won't see her again. You will meet someone else though. So........

Her being bored with the people she was with is an Opportunity with a capital 'O'. you could have swooped in "distracted" her and been a knight in shining armor, or at least a squire, rescuing the poor damsel. If she was as bored as you suggest she probably would have enjoyed getting to know you over a cup. She was probably hoping you would.(I am smacking my forehead here on your behalf [Wink] )

Do you honestly really truly think she smiled at you for any other reason besides flirting?
How did you get to be so cynical and grumpy so young? [Wink]

Wick
Mini Geek
Member # 4608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 04:19      Profile for Wick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had plenty of girls smile at me and even tell me to smile...that happens alot...I really don't think they are interested in me.

I smile at girls all the time I have no interest in...its friendly to do, so I'm told...

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

However...If you catch her looking over at you quite a bit then she may be curious.

There is a girl I am interested in right now. She is really friendly...with everyone. She smiles my way all the time...I smile back and say "hi". I would like to talk to her as well. I am a big wuss though.

I feel your pain dragonman...

--------------------

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 05:34      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Funny thing, I don't quite see you as a shy guy, Maggs. [Razz]

I can do public speaking, no problem doesn't faze me in the least. Since I had to do it almost everyday for my undergraduate Management degree. When it comes to one on one with anyone, that's where I feel weird.

I don't sound shy on here, but IRL, I am. Just don't know how to start conversations, and I stare a lot at things, since my vision ain't the best

Left 42/140 Right 47[20] 140

That's off the prescription on my glasses I am wearing now. I can't see much past 10 feet. If you ask me what something looks like 10 ft from me. You'll get "Yeah, that's cool".

I am really thinking about Lasik.

I wonder what my vision would be like after it.

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2005 06:20      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dp004i:
Dude, don't pay too much attention to those smiles; most of the time, it's simply a matter of being polite – not acknowledging someone’s glance, or worse yet, returning a cold stare is a rude, even somewhat hostile gesture. Well, unless that particular glance was in fact a Homer Simpson-style stare, complete with drooling and all the other good stuff.

Yeah, agreed. Coffeeshops are built for people-watching, which is probably why her gaze kept returning to your general vicinity, and Americans' natural reaction when met with a stranger's eyes is to smile, because it's polite. (Note that this is untrue in a lot of other countries; Russians don't smile at strangers so much.)

Dman, I hate to say it, but if she'd been interested, she probably would've approached you, because it's pretty impolite to stroll on up to a group of friends whom you don't know in a strange place and single one of them out to flirt with. So, unless she came over to talk to you, or was giving you the real "eye rape" look, I'm going to have to agree.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture