homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » Geek = Nerd (?)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Geek = Nerd (?)
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 5 posted October 02, 2005 14:48      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all you Harry Potters.
I am just asking is there a difference between a geek and a nerd ?
I'm a regualar girl... ( short, avg weight, no glasses/braces, B average, makeup, and well-kept hair) and when I am describing my boyfriend to others I don't know which stereo type to use.
NOT that I am being offensive in any way, but he is in fact super-tall with glasses, LOUD, ADHD-like, way smart, never before dated a girl, big-time RuneScape follower, and in advanced classes.

Nerdy-Geek?
Geeky-Nerd?
DIFFERENCE?

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 14:54      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he should register as well and join us?? [Confused] Lol....Welcome TOF. Relax in a familiar environment and post post post. [Big Grin]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 15:16      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell me, which do I look like?

-

I'm on the far left.

Point being. Geek or nerd isn't so much what you look like, it's more so wether or not you consider yourself one or not. If you were to see me I would be the last person you would think to be a geek, by sterotype.

But what do I do for fun? I am either reading a new programming book or some Historical-Fiction if I'm not streaming anime to my friends so that we can all watch at the same time even though we all have all the anime we watch.

I love to game and lan too.

Am I a geek? YES!
By looks and atitude: No.

The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 17:16      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as I have always known them as:

Geek - more socially active than a nerd and not necessarily a brainiac, though it is still possible. Examples would be anime geek, gamer, too many to list here.

Nerd - these are the guys(or girls) with the pocket protecters, slide rules, etc. and are not normally good with girls, or people in general.

Now, there is plenty of room for overlap. I am a geek and a nerd, but I just go by geek because it is less restrictive.

Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 17:19      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not too sure what I am.

I am just a garden variety misfit.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sidney
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2743

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 22:34      Profile for Sidney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm back! I thought that my login info was gone, and I never could get the email password system to work. I thought there was a routing issue or blocking issue with my ISP. For months, maybe years I viewed threads while knowing muteness. I'm finally free!

[coughs]

It is hard to define them separately. I generally think of geeks as being more intelligent and technology obsessed (and usually fat), while nerds love 'conventions' and get into tight, creepy little cliques if they don't remain solitary. Or maybe not. The best nerd example I've seen is in American Splendor, where one character says, "I consider myself a nerd. [pushes up glasses]."

I personally think of myself as a geek, or maybe just a geek wannabe [Smile] . I'm not fat.

Posts: 16 | From: Montclair, NJ | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 08:38      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the classic answer to that question:

http://catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=94

Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 14:24      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 15:59      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:
Hello all you Harry Potters.

I'm a Hairy Pothead, thank you very much! [Razz] [crazy]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 16:20      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a nerd.

By looks? Not quite.

I look like ... oh... I don't know... you be the judge ... but ...

I am a nerd. [pushes up eyeballs]

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 18:56      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much RW.....
>geek<

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture