homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » male geeks and their non-geek girlfriends:) (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: male geeks and their non-geek girlfriends:)
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 06:21      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Gamemaster--you argue with your fiance about putting a little makeup on? Why?

First, and formost, because I like how she looks and I think that makeup is a mask. Would you date a guy who whenever he leaves the house he hides who/what he really is? Same thing. Masks and makeup are fine for film or theater, but they just get in the way of real life.

Second, it comes off on me and my dress clothes when we are close... Dress clothes need to be dry-cleaned when dirty and I'm a poor college student. Moreover, dispite the fact that I want to kiss her and she wants to kiss me, she can't -- it'll smudge her lipstick. She can't cry at a sad part in a symphony or play, because it's ruin her eye makeup... But if it really moves her do so, she should cry and not be ashamed or worried about what people will think. Life is too short to worry about what the mindless masses think.

It's her face. If she likes make-up why try to change her?

I like her for her. She doesn't have anyone to fool or impress. If it was truly for her, and not because it "was expected" or because she "wants to hide this blemish"... I'd be fine with it.

I hear snippets like that and it sends a shiver up my spine and makes me glad (again) that I am single. Sometimes it is lonely, but at least I don't have someone trying to change me to fit their cookie cutter image of how I am supposed to be.

I wear shoes till they have holes, and then they start to be comfortable. The bottom of the back of most of my pants are torn and worn, because I buy them too long. I presonally don't care and it's comfortable.

My fiance has made me replace my shoes and get new pants. Do I feel like I'm being changed? Yes, at first... It's a pain to go shopping and replace perfectly useful, though frightfully unattractive and beat up, clothing.

So, I change something as trival as shoes and add some new pants to wardrobe, and she doesn't wear makeup most of the time (only when we go out to special places). Is that a crime against humanity?

Whether us 'girls' need it or not is not the point. Whether you like it or not is not the point. If she likes it, or not IS the point.

The same thing would go about my shoes and pants would it not? Well, she has a grip and I have a grip... we nag, we make compromises, and we are still who we are... just with a slightly different wrapping.

For the record I have dated geeks that were asses too. It is not a geek/non-geek thing....it is a male thing.

True, it isn't a geek/non-geek thing. It's a human thing. Some people are asses, male and female.

You are right, some people are asses both male and female. My apologies.

I do still disagree about the make-up. That is just my opinion though. If it works for you and her, great. I do not see make-up as a mask, it is just something I use depending on my mood and what I am doing that day. Personally if something moves me enough to cry I just let 'er rip without worrying about my mascara. wax on, wax off. hahahha.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 07:44      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
GameMaster wrote:
FS, "verbing words weirds language" is the quote from Calvin and Hobbes.

*whap*

If you're going to take a shot at her signature and try to correct her, at least make your correction correct...

-

Thank you Steen. And corrected. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 08:26      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
quoting FireSnake
I've always found that anyone that needs to point out how different they are from "other men" isn't. At all.

I'm not! I'm saying, "This is the way I am, and I think my point of veiw on women isn't all that different from other geeks."

Easy there, killer. [Roll Eyes] I said it was off topic and that I was using "you" in a general way, not directing my comments at a specific person. Demosthenes brought up a specific topic, namely men claiming they are "different" and I was expanding on that theme. Really, it's not all about you. I can preface all my comments with "this isn't about GameMaster" if that would make it more clear.

--------------------

MsChief Maker
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5065

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 18:54      Profile for MsChief Maker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,

i have nothing of value to add - would just like to say that this was a great topic and inspired me to join once i asked my SO if i was a geek and he said "no!" .. charming.

so anyway... here's hoping i learn something about... well, geeks...

Oh, i'd also like to mention that the reason we're together is because he really knows how to treat a girl and make her feel cherished, like she's the most important person in the world - he totally spoils me rotten! i only hope that i can spoil him too - hence the registering. i was gift shopping for him the other day and opted for a sappy gift as opposed to geeky, coz it just didnt feel right, and i would *like* to be able to get him geeky things coz i know he'd love 'em..

what say you guys?

--------------------
Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months (Oscar Wilde)

Posts: 3 | From: England, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 21:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
But if you put me next to a blackbelt-wearing, algebra-doing young lady, I may begin to feel uncomfortable.

I was skimming through and saw this and had to laugh. That about sums up my past issues with dating. If the science doesn't scare 'em off the martial arts does. Now, I generally don't mention the black belt bit unless it gets dragged out of me in a coversation about hobbies, so the science is the real litmus test.

"What do you do?"

"Oh, I'm a grad student."

"Masters? PhD?"

"PhD."

With a slight grimace: "In what?"

"Biochemistry."

Boy turns pale. Boy runs. Even some self-described geek boys get rattled by the PhD bit. I don't know why. It just means I work long hours for shit pay, shittier benefits, I have no idea when I'm going to be done, and I will never be paid as much as my friends who went to professional school or went into computers.

But I might get more glory. And I got to see and use a synchrotron (and may get to again). Beat that, rich people. [Razz] [Wink]

I met my current bf at the dojo. He wasn't put off by the black belt. And being an engineer, he wasn't put off by the biochemistry either. I guess it's easier to find a martial artist who can cope with the science than a scientist who can cope with the martial arts.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 22:10      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
But if you put me next to a blackbelt-wearing, algebra-doing young lady, I may begin to feel uncomfortable.

"What do you do?"

"Oh, I'm a grad student."

"Masters? PhD?"

"PhD."

With a slight grimace: "In what?"

"Biochemistry."

Boy turns pale. Boy runs.

I wouldn't be too surprised - heck, I turned quite pale and felt an overpowering urge to run for my life after I heard "master's" and "harvard" used in the same sentence.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 22:12      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's so intimidating about Master's and Harvard? She'd be able to keep you in a very nice house, nice car, nice maid, etc., for the rest of your amicable relationship. [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 22:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boys are so insecure. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 22:36      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Boys are so insecure. [Razz]

Not at all, we just like to have the biggest degree in the household [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 22:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said...

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2006 18:19      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If a guy's smarter than his girlfriend, he gets to show it off and make himself feel bigger. They don't necessarily want to feel challenged, which they would be by a girl who can whoop their butts at Quake and calculate them under the table. (Why does that sound dirty? I want to be calculated under the table. [Razz] ) "

Hey People can use boolean algebra for that too.

1+0 = 1 [Wink] Calculating under the table [Applause]

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2006 20:01      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have a phd probably in demography.

I wnat a rich scientist wife with a PhD from Harvard.

Please PM me if you are one [Wink]

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 03:19      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ubergeekprincess:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Simple answer: Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a geek girlfiend?!

Well, ya got me there...I do have to admit the number of geek girls compared to geek guys is relatively low [Smile] Ah well, I suppose the geek girls of the world that dream of their knight in shining pocket protector will just have to keep on dreaming [Smile]
If there is such a surplus of geek guys and a shortage of geek girls, then shouldn't the girls have no problem getting who they want?

Anyway, I'm with dman here, I've never even seen a geek girl in my life.

Posts: 118 | From: Manila | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 05:02      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've definately seen a few geek girls in Engineering at my University.... but there's a 10/1 guy/girl ratio..... so they pretty much have their pick of whoever they want.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 05:33      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mochan:
If there is such a surplus of geek guys and a shortage of geek girls, then shouldn't the girls have no problem getting who they want?

Yeah, that's what everyone keeps telling me, at least...

I keep locking the target on geek boys and finding out they're taken by artists. What's up with that, seriously? Do they just take turns talking about Lambda calculus and color theory?

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 08:56      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:

Yeah, that's what everyone keeps telling me, at least...

I keep locking the target on geek boys and finding out they're taken by artists. What's up with that, seriously? Do they just take turns talking about Lambda calculus and color theory?

It's either that, or they simply don't like being on the business end of your bazooka, or whatever else you happen to be using. After all, wouldn't you feel somewhat uncomfortable seeing a red dot on your forehead, and some chick with a Stinger missile standing a few feet away? [Smile]
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 12:04      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Don't let him kid you, he's seen several.
[Wink]

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 12:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:
quote:

Don't let him kid you, he's seen several.
[Wink]

Actually, I never said that I haven't seen any. [Razz] I've seen many...but almost none of them are available. :-/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 14:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I keep locking the target on geek boys and finding out they're taken by artists.

/me married an artist [hearts]

What's up with that, seriously? Do they just take turns talking about Lambda calculus and color theory?

Many artists could reasonably be described as "art-geeks" - the two groups have a lot more in common than most artists would care to admit.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 15:13      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Many artists could reasonably be described as "art-geeks" - the two groups have a lot more in common than most artists would care to admit.

No, I'm talking honest-to-goodness, talking about "expressing their inner pain" and going on a near-suicidal methamphetamines bender twice a month artists. The vapid, self-destructive ones who lock onto techies because they know that if they marry money, they're set for life.

The frequency for which geekboys and goths fall for this crap is alarming and defies all logic.

(PS, zesoviet: I wouldn't have any problem being on the business end of a weapon, as long as the person wielding it was a hottie. [Big Grin] )

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 16:53      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

No, I'm talking honest-to-goodness, talking about "expressing their inner pain" and going on a near-suicidal methamphetamines bender twice a month artists. The vapid, self-destructive ones who lock onto techies because they know that if they marry money, they're set for life.

The frequency for which geekboys and goths fall for this crap is alarming and defies all logic.

(PS, zesoviet: I wouldn't have any problem being on the business end of a weapon, as long as the person wielding it was a hottie. [Big Grin] )

I'm guilty of briefly dating one, and you're absolutely right - all they do is complain about being fat even though you can see right through them or cry for no apparent reason half the time, and drag you to some really obscure galleries full of things that look like they were drawn by a drunken three year old eskimo whenever they don't feel like complaining or crying their eyes out. That felt like the longest month of my life...
Plcaga
Mini Geek
Member # 5119

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 11:36      Profile for Plcaga   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My answer: Amanda.
My GEEK girlfriend,
she's my neibhour since July, she moved from US to the next-door house (private, by the way).

so don't say geeks have ungeekish GFs.

Posts: 70 | From: Lyon. France | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ruhrpottbabe
Mini Geek
Member # 5113

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 17:15      Profile for Ruhrpottbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi guys, I'm pretty surprised about how one-dimensional some of your comments are. "geek guy is looking for a geek girl" - I thought it was about meeting someone who's willing to accept and share your interests, about shared learning. when I met my boyfriend he was into physics and computers and I was into linguistics and arts. now he has an interest in travelling and arts AND sees me as an adequate partner for playing Halo and Burnout and we both have our own Macs (ok, he usually gets the newer model I admit). it took us 12 years, but voilį, there it is, the perfect match. it's about learning, not looking for ...

--------------------
In a world of excess, it's the subtle that stands out.

Posts: 69 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 17:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The accent on your a in voilą is backwards.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ruhrpottbabe
Mini Geek
Member # 5113

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 17:27      Profile for Ruhrpottbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops, that was in the heat of typing, sorry ...

--------------------
In a world of excess, it's the subtle that stands out.

Posts: 69 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture