homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » male geeks and their non-geek girlfriends:) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: male geeks and their non-geek girlfriends:)
ubergeekprincess
Geek Larva
Member # 4428

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 22:10      Profile for ubergeekprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok...I hate to begin my geek culture life by complaining...but I just have to ask the guys here...what the heck is with a majority of geek guys having non-geek girlfriends, or borderline non-geek girlfriends? Every male geek I've ever been friends with usually use me as a sounding board as to how to woo the non-geek girl...then once they have said girl, they spend the entire relationship complaining about how she doesn't "get" their video games, has no interest in computers/sci-fi/fantasy, or always gets mad because they spend too much time with their various geek hobbies.

Anyways, just doesn't make sense to me...why not get a girlfriend that shares your interests?

whew..ok, I feel better, got all that off my chest [Smile]

--------------------
ubergeekprincess...why? because if ya have to be a geek, you may as well be royalty:)

Posts: 22 | From: NM | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
v01d
Mini Geek
Member # 2272

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 22:54      Profile for v01d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh

guilty as charged.

Here's my pet theory why:
who wants another "me" to stick around, have the same interests, same peeves and similar mentality? Any geek guy got enough annoying habits, they are doubly so in a girl.

Another aspect is this:
tell me why would I want to stick with somebody who's not that different from me?

Oh, and I hate to share my computer when she sleeps over. It is all mine! my precious...yesss

--------------------
There're running jobs. Why don't you go chase them?

Posts: 69 | From: windy city | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ubergeekprincess
Geek Larva
Member # 4428

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 23:09      Profile for ubergeekprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah, but there is a huge difference between someone exactly like you, and someone that won't mind you taking over the tv for a few hrs to play video games(usually because she's playing against ya;) or someone that is willing to forgo the manicure/pedicures to save up for the latest gadget. Not to mention the fact that any geek girl worth her salt has a computer of her own and wouldn't need to share yours:)

--------------------
ubergeekprincess...why? because if ya have to be a geek, you may as well be royalty:)

v01d
Mini Geek
Member # 2272

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 00:31      Profile for v01d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ubergeekprincess:
ah, but there is a huge difference between someone exactly like you, and someone that won't mind you taking over the tv for a few hrs to play video games(usually because she's playing against ya;) or someone that is willing to forgo the manicure/pedicures to save up for the latest gadget. Not to mention the fact that any geek girl worth her salt has a computer of her own and wouldn't need to share yours:)

Good point.
I really like the fantasy of not having to drag my butt to the mall/chick flick/party/whatever as a responsible good boy that doesn't want to deprive her bleak and opressed existence of the last sunbeam of unsophisticated entertainment...
Oh the joys of dreaming! (oh yes, dreaming, how I finally get back to my lair, fire up the rig and do stuffs for the rest of the night, and sleep through her next endeavor..)

Anyhow, my point being, some guys, they really need something different from a girlfriend, something to complete them (what a horrible cliche) and expose them to something out there.
It's all cool being buddies and playing a match or two against you, but guess what? Most of us already have buddies. We want an unknown, a mystery
a wild card instead, a healthy shot of hormones and insanity, a surprise.
The fact that it turns out a bitter disapointment in the end doesn't change the fact that it was some kind of adventure nonetheless.

There's something I can't quite remember and being too lazy will not research
about "exotic that turns erotic".
Hint-hint...
Attraction isn't based on similarity, attachments and warm fuzzy feelings are, but it's not the same.

--------------------

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 01:59      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by v01d:
Attraction isn't based on similarity, attachments and warm fuzzy feelings are, but it's not the same.

Oddly enough, I'd rather have attachment and warm fuzzy feelings than just attraction. And it's not like they are mutually exclusive, either.

True, some guys really do like the idea of having a stereotypical "girlfriend" and some will probably be happy with that. Personally, I don't see the point. Those relationships always seem kind of shallow and pointless to me, where the goal seems to be being with someone, but not someone in specific. I do think it's easier for men to be in relationships with people that they have little respect for, intellectually or otherwise. Younger men, especially, may even prefer it since they may feel threatened and intimidated by a girl who can (program, quake, etc.) better. (Before we have the obligatory slew of "I'm not like that" posts, I don't mean everyone.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 05:24      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Opposites attract.

I know I'd annoy myself if I were a different person, so I wouldn't want to date a replica of me.

My girlfriend wasn't too much of a geek when I met her... but now she plays Final Fantasy, owns a mac, and is capable of using Linux. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4894 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
v01d
Mini Geek
Member # 2272

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 07:30      Profile for v01d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:
quote:
Originally posted by v01d:

Oddly enough, I'd rather have attachment and warm fuzzy feelings than just attraction. And it's not like they are mutually exclusive, either.

True-true-true.
They aren't. I'm just saying the second stems from similarities while the first is fueled up by the differences.

Ideally, the ultimate geeky girfriend would be:
share a lot --- so it feels like you're with the right person, and
differ just a bit --- so that there's always something to keep a geek intrigued, damn, fascinated (the stronger the better)

The second point is important imnsho, cause just
warm and fuzzy is cool, until you both got stuck on each other out of habit more than anything else.

Another not-so-deep observation. It's a dynamic, rather than static thing, sadly enough.
People evolve. If you both evolve into states your partner will constantly fall in love with, you're a pair of damn happy puppies.
Envy you.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 09:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ok...I hate to begin my geek culture life by complaining...but I just have to ask the guys here...what the heck is with a majority of geek guys having non-geek girlfriends, or borderline non-geek girlfriends?
[elided]

Simple answer: Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a geek girlfiend?! Sometimes one has to settle, I'd guess. And if the person in question isn't interested in a serious relationship, it probably matters less whether or not she's a geek.

/me spares you from a rant...I'm hungry, time for lunch.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9220 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ubergeekprincess
Geek Larva
Member # 4428

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 11:13      Profile for ubergeekprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Simple answer: Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a geek girlfiend?!

Well, ya got me there...I do have to admit the number of geek girls compared to geek guys is relatively low [Smile] Ah well, I suppose the geek girls of the world that dream of their knight in shining pocket protector will just have to keep on dreaming [Smile]

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 12:02      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again ugp there are the geek girls that want a "normal" guy.

Perhaps they don't want to share bandwidth? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2435 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ubergeekprincess
Geek Larva
Member # 4428

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 12:14      Profile for ubergeekprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Then again ugp there are the geek girls that want a "normal" guy.

Eh...most normal guys are just that..."normal", AKA boring [Smile] but then there's always the possibility that my friends and I are in the minority when it comes to wanting a guy that gets excited along with us about the upcoming buffy or anime convention [Smile]

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 12:24      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have geek female friends, too?

Well, maybe I live in the wrong state...

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2435 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ubergeekprincess
Geek Larva
Member # 4428

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 12:36      Profile for ubergeekprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Well, maybe I live in the wrong state...

heh...yep, people always claim that nm is the "land of enchantment", I prefer to think of it as the "land of the female geeks frustrated by the lack of male geeks and the abundance of cowboy/jocks that don't understand a word that comes out of our mouths"

--------------------

Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 14:38      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI, I hope this post's right.

WEll I would like to comment and say that my boyfriend is the biggest geek ever, and uhmmm ... I am not. hehe
I personally am just attracted to them . I think it's because they're so smart , yet usually so inexperienced and its exciting being able to 'show them' how chicks work, in exchange for them teaching you electronics.

I registered today for the soul purpose of replying to the post , and It would be great if someone could show me how to work this site because I'm a bit lost.
THNX

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 14:45      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi T0F
you seem to be working the forums just fine - welcome [Smile]
But be careful, you may not be allowed to get away with typing things like "I registered today for the soul purpose"....
Still, don't let that spoil your fun [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 14:57      Profile for Jace Raven   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there was a female who I could lan up some halo with and discuss why graphics card companies dont like to produce open source drivers or even publish their specs to make it easier for us linux and BSD users, given she was decent looking and fun to be around, although i dont see how someone that would lan with you would be un-fun to be around, I would probably be married to that there girl.

But seeing as I haven't seen a female in the flesh in more than 2 weeks now, I'm getting pretty frustratred...

Under 1 condition: No laptops in bed, unless we were lanning it up in the middle of the day on the bed or something of that matter.

Posts: 1791 | From: Seoul, Korea | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 02, 2005 16:02      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a female I have never "looked" for geeky men but my first love was my exposure to one, glasses and all. It was nice since I grew up with video games and I have become the most computer literate person in my fam. After him I dated the "normal" guys and found I got bored with them and they hurt me by calling me a nerd (not really lol).

Now that I have found my nerd, we are a perfect match. I could watch him play video games all day and I have. I don't complain because it keeps him busy and out of the way when I clean. [Big Grin] I think it's nice when I tell him about something he does not know about yet [evil] and he looks at me like I am the most beautiful person in the world. Ah, geek love is wonderful. LMAO

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 16:23      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ok...I hate to begin my geek culture life by complaining...but I just have to ask the guys here...what the heck is with a majority of geek guys having non-geek girlfriends, or borderline non-geek girlfriends? Every male geek I've ever been friends with usually use me as a sounding board as to how to woo the non-geek girl...then once they have said girl, they spend the entire relationship complaining about how she doesn't "get" their video games, has no interest in computers/sci-fi/fantasy, or always gets mad because they spend too much time with their various geek hobbies.

Anyways, just doesn't make sense to me...why not get a girlfriend that shares your interests?

whew..ok, I feel better, got all that off my chest [Smile]

I have no clue, posssibly they find us mysterious or a new challange, mine just thinks I'm drop dead sexy and wants me beyond belief. Wow, glad to get that out.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 16:41      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet another perspective: I don't think it's an "either-or" thing -- i.e., that one person is a geek and the Significant Other either is or is not a geek. Ideally, one hopes to find someone who is complementary, who's desires and interests mesh well with the other person's. So a geek guy might do well with a geek girl who shares his passion for video games or building PCs... but the girl of his dreams might also be someone who doesn't get excited by any of that but who thoroughly supports and encourages his passions. That is, she doesn't "get" any of the geek stuff but she "gets" him. And, of course, the reverse ought to be true.

Case in point: I've always been into the latest-and-greatest tech toys (partly because of my job and partly as hobby) but my ex-husband is merely what I call "computer tolerant" -- he uses them because he has to and will learn only enough to get by. But he thoroughly supported my geeky passions (O.K., addictions [Wink] ), listened to me ramble on and on about such stuff, and (within reason) did not stand between me and my latest craving.

Why? His interest wasn't the tech -- his interest was me, and thus he sincerely supported my desires. Likewise, he is really into music -- playing the piano, singing (groups and solo), and performing. My attraction to music goes little beyond listening to it and our musical interests are fairly different, but I could get very excited about supporting his pursuits and listening to him discuss his ideas, because my interest was him. And thus we made a great couple for 20+ years. (BTW, the reason he's "ex" has nothing to do with non-common interests.)

So I think the goal is to find a complementary boyfriend, girlfriend, or spouse, whether that person is geek or not.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 328 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 02, 2005 21:05      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nicely said...
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ubergeekprincess
Geek Larva
Member # 4428

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 21:09      Profile for ubergeekprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tech Angel, you summed it up quite well [Smile] I guess the thing that frustrates me(and of course, this is personal experience, not true of everyone) is the male geeks that I know are on the phone/computer each day with either my two female friends(both geeks) or myself, moaning and complaining about their girlfriends/wives not supporting or taking any interest in their hobbies. I know its insensitive, but at times I feel like just telling them "You picked her, you're a grown man...deal with it." Not that I ever would tell them that, just wishful thinking [Smile]

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 08:45      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Tech Angel, you summed it up quite well [Smile] I guess the thing that frustrates me(and of course, this is personal experience, not true of everyone) is the male geeks that I know are on the phone/computer each day with either my two female friends(both geeks) or myself, moaning and complaining about their girlfriends/wives not supporting or taking any interest in their hobbies. I know its insensitive, but at times I feel like just telling them "You picked her, you're a grown man...deal with it." Not that I ever would tell them that, just wishful thinking [Smile]

Nothing new or gender-specific there. Back in high school, I used to regularly hear girls complain about their loser boyfriends. Of course, the main problem was that they would pick losers in the first place.

Sometimes people looking for sympathy really need a boot in the rear. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 09:58      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
quote:

Nothing new or gender-specific there. Back in high school, I used to regularly hear girls complain about their loser boyfriends. Of course, the main problem was that they would pick losers in the first place.

Sometimes people looking for sympathy really need a boot in the rear. [Wink]

Amen.
Posts: 4894 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 11:08      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, "then why don't you date me?" just doesn't seem to get anything but a [thankfully virtual] slap in the face. [Confused]

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fictional24m
Newbie Larva
Member # 4469

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted October 10, 2005 12:14      Profile for Fictional24m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello world of forum Geeks I'm new to this forum and I must say all these post really made me feel at home and it really hit on a subject that occured last month I was living with this girl that deemed herself as a "geek" per say spent a year with her and she started to get into computers and some of the games i like to play however she still complained about me spending to much time on the computer and not with her it was pulling teeth to get her to play the one and only game she would play make a long story short we broke up I didn't think there was such a thing as a "geek girl" yes they are hard to find i guess it because there tucked away on there computers at home too i have come to find out what i would really like and yes i do want someone who has the same interest as me i know i tried to quit being on the computer so much and tried different things and it didn't work i did other things i enjoy and she still complained about the other things i did so now i know what i need to look for in a girl i guess what I'm trying to say is that as a geek a non geek wouldn't work because they want to go and party while i want to hook up a new video card and play the latest game or something lol i guess i should build a second computer and wait that geek girl I'm waiting on will have a computer sitting and waiting on her when the time is right.

--------------------
If a Machine can learn the value of human life....maybe we can too..
T2

Posts: 6 | From: Columbus,ohio | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.