homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » computer geeks.... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: computer geeks....
b-gurl
Mini Geek
Member # 4163

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 01, 2005 13:05      Profile for b-gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well.. im a gurl, n i got this thing for computer geeks... always had it, but the thing i most love .... is guyz who know c++ ... and i dont exactly know why i have it.... but i do... wunderin if n e one else has the same thing?

B-gurl

--------------------
B-Gurl. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Posts: 53 | From: uk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
b-gurl
Mini Geek
Member # 4163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2005 13:56      Profile for b-gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also why are most computer geeks into rock :S

--------------------
B-Gurl. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2005 23:15      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, b-gurl, I know for a fact that most geek guys (who know C++) like women who speak proper english on the internet.

And for the record, the only C++ junkies worth liking are the ones who hate C++ and prefer C.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

BronzeG3
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2590

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 07:04      Profile for BronzeG3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like C++ and am worth liking....
Posts: 44 | From: VTech | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 12:09      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a geek who prefer c++, and my GF says I'm worth liking.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 16:45      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like C++.

[Wink]

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Laska
Newbie Larva
Member # 4169

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 03:18      Profile for Laska   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C coders are sexier than C++ coders. Assembler coders are hotter again though [Smile] *drools*
Posts: 9 | From: South Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 05:37      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laska:
C coders are sexier than C++ coders. Assembler coders are hotter again though [Smile] *drools*

Hmm, most of the assembler coders I know are older mainframe people. Not what I'd usually call hot [Wink]

/did assembler at Uni, a long time ago. Prefer Python, though, so I've probably dropped off the bottom of your attraction scale right now...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
b-gurl
Mini Geek
Member # 4163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 14:37      Profile for b-gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, why do most geeks prefer women to speak proper on the internet ?

--------------------
B-Gurl. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 14:51      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by b-gurl:

Why do some women prefer that their boyfriends grow a beard or wear that certain hoodie or that pair of jeans?

It just looks better.

I, for one, would like to reach through the computer screen and wring my boyfriend's neck every time he types "ur," "ure," "tring" (for "trying") or "suppost" (for supposed). It just makes him look dumb (when he really isn't) and it bothers me. [Mad]

So in other words, if you want to put your best foot forward online, it's better to be gramatically correct than to type AOL-isms all over your posts and look dumber than you really are.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
b-gurl
Mini Geek
Member # 4163

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted July 05, 2005 15:30      Profile for b-gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok then, thank-you, i'll keep that in mind, though i seriously didn't realise it would bother you all that much... thanks though

--------------------
B-Gurl. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 19:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shift key is your friend. Not Caps Lock, though - that's an evil key that should be banished!

I could probably dig a girl who programmed assembler...but really, I pine for a Perl hacker. [hearts] Oh, #!, #!, #! ... [Wink]

print "I'd be very happy...\n" if defined $universe{"luck"};

Anyway...I know someone who says that she prefers to code in assembly. I don't understand this one bit, since everything I've ever seen from her is shoddy as all get-out, and I can't fathom how she could instead be good at assembly... Maybe she can't see the big picture, but only works at the intricate level?

Oh well...life is curious like that.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 12 posted July 05, 2005 20:03      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally want to meet an objective-C kind of woman, because she'd be able to see things in a much more organized way but still speak my language [crazy]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 20:17      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C is for wussies, LISP is the undisputable hotness.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 20:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
C is for wussies, LISP is the undisputable hotness.

How about a little bit of Smalltalk? [Wink]

Oh, the humanity!

(and sorry, I just never took to LISP)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 20:34      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
The Shift key is your friend. Not Caps Lock, though - that's an evil key that should be banished!

Someone's obviously never programmed PL/I or COBOL [Razz]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 22:35      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caps lock for PL/1 and COBAL is a moot point. The last time I used varients of those was with card punches that didn't have lower case. [Smile]

I say that it's an abomination, and the PC 104 keyboard layout has been a drag on the world's economy. The last good keyboard layout was the Sun Type-4 Unix layout.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 22:49      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Caps lock for PL/1 and COBAL is a moot point.

Hmm, I wouldn't say that. I'd bet a lot of the editing for that code these days is done on mixed case capable systems. Well, the PL/I stuff I did certainly was, anyway...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 10:48      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It's not an issue of geeks prefering women to speak properly on the internet, but rather that overuse of slang is lazy, impolite and rude, geek or not, male or female. It shows that someone won't put effort into communicating effectively.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
b-gurl
Mini Geek
Member # 4163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 15:31      Profile for b-gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's not an issue of geeks prefering women to speak properly on the internet, but rather that overuse of slang is lazy, impolite and rude, geek or not, male or female. It shows that someone won't put effort into communicating effectively.
surely "impolite and rude" is a personal opinion, besides i would have thought that the actual content would depict whether or not someone is being rude, as you can be rude whilst using correct grammar.

--------------------
B-Gurl. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 15:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
surely "impolite and rude" is a personal opinion, besides i would have thought that the actual content would depict whether or not someone is being rude, as you can be rude whilst using correct grammar.
No, she's absolutely right. It shows you have no respect for your reader - you won't expend any effort into writing properly. I get really pissed off at sloppy writing online in areas with relatively 'static' content - that is, stuff that isn't time dependent and will be there for quite awhile. I understand lack of capitalization in instant messaging / IRC, as one is trying to actively communicate with text, and so capitalization may go by the wayside as a speed tradeoff. Personally, I have some RSI issues, and so that's an additional reason why I don't hit the Shift key very much on IRC. However, when writing in places like these, I have some time to compose my thoughts, and certainly make every effort to dot my Is and cross my Ts - it's trivial to do so, and makes it so much more reader-friendly. It's bad enough that people have to bother reading some of the tripe I compose - they may as well not struggle with the structure of it. [Wink] I'm not going to go off on a tangent about it this time, but suffice it to say that poor grammar and spelling (particularly that which Xanthine has dubbed "AIMglish") generally causes one to become distracted, and lose his or her* focus on the actual 'content.' That's all.

<facetious>
So now, ya hear right? Write good, mmkay? Make that edumakation count. [Big Grin]
</facetious>

*n.b. While it would be more convenient to use 'their' in this case, I understand that this is not correct, and shouldn't be used to express unknown gender of a singular third person. *grumble*

--------------------

b-gurl
Mini Geek
Member # 4163

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 06, 2005 16:09      Profile for b-gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I think there is no need for pomposity, we all have our own crosses to bare [Smile] So lets put this all behind us "aight?"

--------------------
B-Gurl. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 16:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well I think there is no need for pomposity, we all have our own crosses to bare [Smile] So lets put this all behind us "aight?"

Surely you'll 'bear' that cross, no? [Big Grin]

I am taking the piss out of you now. [Smile]

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 16:20      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ironically enough, y'all, this argument is what I want to research in grad school.

Keep talking... you're giving me great evidence. [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
b-gurl
Mini Geek
Member # 4163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 16:30      Profile for b-gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about I tell you about how China has simplified it's characters so that there are now less strokes in each character making it easier for children to learn, however the characters themselves have lost a lot of their aesthetic qualities. Now look at English in my mother's day, she says 'either' could only be pronounced in one way, the English teacher insisted on this, then think about cheers and how that has entered the English language, does anyone under 30 bother saying 'thank-you' any more, 'cheers' has entered the English oxford dictionary so you can't just say that's slang, its all about enjoying the English language just like simplifying Chinese has enabled millions of peasants in China to learn the written language more quickly, you lose some and you gain some. 'gr8 init'

--------------------
B-Gurl. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture