homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » What do you want in a guy? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: What do you want in a guy?
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 05:40      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do I want in a woman?

/walks out before I finish to avoid sending thread downhill.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 05:46      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
Heheh...maybe I should add an eleventh qualifier...must be single!

Oh, cruel world. You're really trying to eliminate me from consideration now, aren't you. Well, it won't work indefinitely [Wink]
Aren't you in the process of becoming single once again? [Wink]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 06:10      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well, that is what I meant by it not working indefinitely. You'll have to find a different excuse once that stage is reached [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 06:37      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Hey Tech Angel - are you sure that list couldn't be a bit more prescriptive? I think you left out that the guy must have exactly seventeen pairs of shoes and a cat called 'Nigel'.

-

Is that prescriptive enough for you, spungo? [Wink]

hang on, I am just calling the plastic surgeon now
[Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 10:17      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

Well, that is what I meant by it not working indefinitely. You'll have to find a different excuse once that stage is reached [Wink]
Uhm...I already have a boyfriend. How about that excuse? And...he meets all the requirements I set (how about that for convenient?). [Big Grin]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
TomtheMacMan
Geek Larva
Member # 2127

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 15:04      Profile for TomtheMacMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I meet these descriptions quite well:

Tall (6'1")
Large build - Football player
Long hair - down to shoulders
Facial hair - a faint mustache and beard
Eyes - emrald green
Personality - Caring, kind, accepting

There's only one problem ladies, I've got a BOYFRIEND!

I think this says a lot about what girls truly want. [Razz]

--------------------
-Tom

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 15:08      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Tom, would that be a typo in your .sig? (Kick vs. kiss..) [Big Grin]

Edit: Hmmmm. Appears someone removed their .sig after posting....

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TomtheMacMan
Geek Larva
Member # 2127

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 15:15      Profile for TomtheMacMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had put that sig in back when I registered who knows when, and, now looking at it, it was quite immature sounding. Oh well.

Oh, and if you were making some kind of sarcasam, I didn't quite get it. Sorry, I'm a little out of it, because I'm in the middle of posting on 2 boards at once.

--------------------
-Tom

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 15:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomtheMacMan:

Tall (6'1")
Eyes - emrald green

And thus we come around to the perennial problem...the good ones are either taken or gay. [Frown]

Of course, good guys in couples will sometimes become good guys in singles, but that takes patience. Which is why I will now give my standard advice to all love-lorn men and women: stop looking and accept your singleness. For some reason, this makes you more attractive. Or, at least, that's been the case for me...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 15:33      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Uhm...I already have a boyfriend. How about that excuse? And...he meets all the requirements I set (how about that for convenient?). [Big Grin]

Dang, why do all of my internet crushes end up getting boyfriends. And how can I turn this into a business opportunity? [Big Grin]

Edit: Seriously, what Xanthine is saying is so true. Stop looking, and you are acting more like yourself. Acting like yourself tends to be a much more successful method than trying to be Mr Right (or Miss Right).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 18:57      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Hey Tech Angel - are you sure that list couldn't be a bit more prescriptive? I think you left out that the guy must have exactly seventeen pairs of shoes and a cat called 'Nigel'.

Nah, it's not prescriptive. The question was what do I want in a guy, not what do I have to have. So I listed all the qualities I find attractive. Consider it a "wish list". Besides, I would never name a cat Nigel. [Wink]
Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 19:05      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomtheMacMan:

Tall (6'1")
Eyes - emrald green

Hey, I resemble that remark! Except for two critcal factors - I recently had my long her cut (at the request of my best friend), and don't have a boyfriend. So that's where I'm going wrong! Though strangely, I keep being asked if I'm gay by girls... [Confused]

Also my eyes are deep brown [Razz]

Posts: 1142 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 19:18      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Which is why I will now give my standard advice to all love-lorn men and women: stop looking and accept your singleness. For some reason, this makes you more attractive.

I agree...or at least that's what I'm coming to learn. A favorite book of mine that articulates this very point is "God on a Harley" by Joan Brady. There is something about being comfortable with yourself exactly as you are, vs. being what everyone expects/wants you to be, that is powerfully attractive.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2005 13:03      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Physically, I don't really have 'rules' for men I like, but rather 'preferences:'

I prefer him to be taller than me, by a couple of inches, because there's something great about standing up on your toes and tilting your chin up for a kiss. I like light eyes; blue, gray, or green. Short or no hair. A little bit of well-kept facial hair, like a goatee; it's a nice feeling when he leans in to say something in your ear. Strong, but not jacked...I like the wiry type, with strong hands.

He's got to be ballsy, unafraid to say or do whatever he feels like. A Loki-style sense of humor; mischief is a must. Well spoken, thinks before he opens his mouth. Able to counter dead baby jokes with Micheal Jackson jokes. Good taste in beer.

(Reading back over it...an apt description of me boyfriend. Hm. Guess I done did well.)

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2005 13:22      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Physically, I don't really have 'rules' for men I like, but rather 'preferences:'

I prefer him to be taller than me, by a couple of inches, because there's something great about standing up on your toes and tilting your chin up for a kiss. I like light eyes; blue, gray, or green. Short or no hair. A little bit of well-kept facial hair, like a goatee; it's a nice feeling when he leans in to say something in your ear. Strong, but not jacked...I like the wiry type, with strong hands.

He's got to be ballsy, unafraid to say or do whatever he feels like. A Loki-style sense of humor; mischief is a must. Well spoken, thinks before he opens his mouth. Able to counter dead baby jokes with Micheal Jackson jokes. Good taste in beer.

(Reading back over it...an apt description of me boyfriend. Hm. Guess I done did well.)

Demosthenes, does he have a brother? [Wink]
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2005 16:41      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry but I'm taken...

/gets coat and runs to hills.... laughing all the way

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2005 17:14      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Good taste in beer.

Excuse me, but did you mean to say, "Tastes good in beer?" [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2005 17:51      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No no no GG,

Everyone *knows* that snake/alligator/lizard/etc. should be poached in white wine and herbs or coated in a sticky BBQ sauce and flamegrilled...

You shouldn't cook white meat in beer* - it just doesn't work, beef and game and other "red" meats go with red wine/beer*/sherry...

</bad taste>

now runs away very fast...

*that is real beer/ale not the lagers that you "furriners" insist on calling beer... Even the damned frogs and krauts know to call their brews lager or lager beir...

PS. There isn't anything wrong with lager, though I detest most US brews and Labbatts SUK... but it is NOT beer... [Big Grin] [devil wand]

IS THAT CLEAR (like your so called beer?)

[Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2005 18:52      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Serenak wrote:

PS. There isn't anything wrong with lager, though I detest most US brews and Labbatts SUK... but it is NOT beer...

IS THAT CLEAR (like your so called beer?)

I'm with you Serenak. Guinness drinker here.
Reminds me of Pythons Eric Idle as 'Australians'. "We find your american beer like making love in a canoe. It's fsuking close to water!"

</Threadjack>

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2005 23:24      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some bizarre reason I meet almost none of the qualifications listed anywhere on this thread, but before I was married women asked me out in droves. Look at my picture (I'm the guy in the middle). GQ material I AM NOT!!! When I met my wife she could have had any guy she wanted. She was, and is, young, redhead, intelligent, sexily voiced, understanding, very pretty, caring, funny, and artistic. Guys used to slobber over her. When she asked me out I seriously thought it was a trap of some sort. I acted accordingly. So in the end SHE had to work to get ME, an amazing paradox that's lost on no one who witnessed these events. To add to the mystery, I've only been asked out in my life, I've never once asked a woman out. And I've dated lots of intelligent and beautiful women. I don't get it.

Yes, there's a point to all this...

A friend of mine watches my behavior towards women, and says that I almost always get responses that any guy would kill for (i.e., I apparently break the ice eloquently?!?!!?). I don't notice this, but he swears it happens. His theory? I act as though I'm not interested in them, but I talk to them like human beings nonetheless. He showed me the movie "Tao of Steve", claims that I'm subconsciously "a Steve", and that women go for this to a degree I'm not aware of.

My question and tie into this thread: is this theory a bunch of hooey? Do women pursue that which evades them?

...it seems like hooey to me.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2005 00:13      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
Demosthenes, does he have a brother? [Wink]

Why, yes he does, but his brother's somehow nothing like him.
Luxxie
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3549

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2005 02:19      Profile for Luxxie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ewomack ~ I would agree with you, in that women like a guy that will treat them like a friend, rather than someone they're "interested" in right off. Women with intelligence and independence are looking for guys who will match their intelligence. Nothing sexier than a smart guy. Congrats on your wife, by the way, she sounds wonderful.

As for what I look for in a guy?

Emotional:
* intelligence (above all else)
* witty/sarcastic
* computer geeky
* video gamer
* comic book reader/dorky RPG card game player/other geeky hobbies (someone who shares my hobbies)
* not intimidated by my intelligence or video game skills [Wink]
* does not mind my Lego collection or my obsession with a Rubiks Cube

Physical:
* tall
* thin
* pale
* dark hair
* light eyes (blue/green)
* longish-floppy hair is good

I'm a bit picky...but those traits are not the ONLY ones I look for, they're just what I generally prefer.

--------------------
I beat the internet;
the end guy was hard!

Posts: 10 | From: Neverland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ayesha
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2005 13:27      Profile for Ayesha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 3 | From: cornwall | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2005 18:06      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ayesha:

Raise your sights, girl! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 06, 2005 16:10      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
That would do for me anyday...

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture