homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » High School Geek Guys (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: High School Geek Guys
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2004 03:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me resigns from the 'pedantic bastard' league.

I know when I'm out-classed. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2004 08:02      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
And let's not even mention the time that a girl I had a huge crush on asked me out.
Her: Do you want to go out with me?
Me: (thinking it was an accusation, and I'd been found out.) No.

I think I may have had a moment like that recently. Or I might have been reading too much into it again. Damn, the high school boys hypothesis prooved correct again [Frown] . Maybe the whole beating the guys over the head with a stick idea is the best way forward
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2004 11:01      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Tis, Stibbons. College is an altogether better environment for dating in general. In high school, there are a bunch of teenagers crammed into a manditory public school, very intimidating for a shy geek who just wants to be left to his/her own devices. College is full [mostly] of people who want to be there and are studying things they want to study.

Looking back, there was a gorgous girl that hung out with my geek clique in high school. She was'nt there to pursue our affections (I think [Confused] ), but instead, well, actually I have no idea why she spent time with us [Confused] .

Anyway, many geek guys just don't know how to talk to girls. (myself included). If you are just friendly first, then maybe their brains won't boil.

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2004 21:11      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a heartbreaking little thread this is!

I think maybe most of us, when young, are terminally shy in the presence of those who really switch the lights on in our heads. Certainly these posts, particularly csk's sad story, reminded me of some of my particular teen torments.

I have no very useful advice to give except to try and get over it. These opportunities do not usually come often, and there is no regret worse than the one for what might have been. A wonderful girl unkissed is a such a sorry thing in your life. Go on, you owe it to her, and the very worst that can happen is that you look a fool for just a little while.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
icee_donut
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2623

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 03:25      Profile for icee_donut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to agree that it takes a lot to get a geek guys attention. For one thing, the idea that a girl would be flirting with me is hard to believe coz I'm not cute and I don't act like I'm some cool guy who owns a fancy car and has lots of money to spend on going out places. And even when girls have apparently been flirting with me (my friends reckoned they were but I never noticed coz I just thought it was a normal conversation) I never noticed and therefore nothing happened between me and the girl. So maybe you could try to be more obvious, coz that's the only way the guy will know.

--------------------
so beats the final coda... of a vinyl storm... one more cherry cola... to lift up her dead arms

Posts: 13 | From: Adelaide | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 10:06      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by +Andrew:
My first thought was "Hm, must be a Windows version".

...and my first thought was, "ewww, i can't date something with an unusable interface."

either way, this thread is giving guys all the credit. there are plenty of inept women who don't have the foggiest when guys are hitting on them...i had to have it explained to me why it is that whenever i go dancing (thrashing? flailing?) at the industrial club, i end up with a little cluster of uberstomp boys around me, getting in my way and probably elbowed and kicked, purely by accident of course. i have a female friend who didn't believe that people were adding her to their "fan of" lists on /. solely because she was female.

either way, i'm strongly reminded of the "clone high" psuedo-pairing of abraham lincoln and joan of arc: "abe, i want you." "want me to what? oh. you forgot the rest of your sentence. happens to me all the time." [Big Grin]

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 14:08      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just bad when I was in high school. Now I know when I am being flirted with, I have fairly good flirt skills too, but I rarely use them...

I had to be told by my best friend that she was flirting with me, happened in the middle of a argument. She was ranting, and in the middle of it screamed "And, goddamit, why haven't noticed I've been hitting on you all night!" I was too suprised to say anything, but we ended up staying together for three years.

Everyone knew about Dani and I, before we did. Even though I was able to tell about my group of groupies... They were a group of freshmen and sophmore girls...

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Democritus the Minor
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 14:24      Profile for Democritus the Minor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicole, i must say, girls like you are hard to find. Granted, i found one, but i still don't know how i got her...post. Bless you fantastic women. Most of the advice here is very good, so i'll try not to repeat, but keep trying, and try to be subtle. Talk to a geek, and 9 times out of 10, he will like you.

--------------------
We are 1447. We are better than 1337.

Posts: 42 | From: Chicago 'Burbs | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 26, 2004 14:39      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does get a lot easier in college.

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 16:43      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicole the Strange... What land do you come from... and... are there more of you there...

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
NicoleTheStrange
Newbie Larva
Member # 2625

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 20:17      Profile for NicoleTheStrange   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too Cool to Quit- Yes, there are more of us. We're just difficult to find.

It's like in the "Dilbert" comic where he goes to the moon and finds all the women who love engineers.

--------------------
"The point is, the only real tools we have are our eyes and our heads. It's not the act of seeing with our own eyes alone; it's correctly comprehending what we see." -Transmetropolitan

Posts: 6 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 20:33      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NicoleTheStrange:
Too Cool to Quit- Yes, there are more of us. We're just difficult to find.

It's like in the "Dilbert" comic where he goes to the moon and finds all the women who love engineers.

[Smile] Take me to your leader! Or any of your lesser or equal beings!

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2004 20:11      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TCTQ, aren't you due at the biscuit tin? [Razz]

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2004 09:22      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by JaceRaven:
quote:
It is just sad when your dad had to offer you the use of his car to go out. It's even worse if he gives you a condom and tells you that he will be gone for the entire weekend...

I know I'm a little late joining this conversation, but how is that sad? And as far as attracting geek boys goes, I feel your pain. It doesn't help that a year ago I went through a relatively ugly break up with one of the "main" geek boys at my school. As far as the other guys go, he's like Rome. All roads lead to him. No hope left for high school.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
marieh
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2650

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted April 15, 2004 19:14      Profile for marieh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicole- Hope I'm not reiterating too much, but I feel for you. I was also the high school girl who liked all the geeky guys, and it did get better ... eventually. Just remember that it takes a little more work/patience to convince them of your sincerity, as we have all been the butt of nasty jokes at one time or another...
10 years later, and I'm still falling for 'em...
... sigh ...

Posts: 1 | From: colorado | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 16, 2004 02:45      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NicoleTheStrange:

Now they're all there looking for temp jobs with Google so they can get closer to their beloved geek guys [Wink]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 07:25      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marieh:
Nicole- Hope I'm not reiterating too much, but I feel for you. I was also the high school girl who liked all the geeky guys, and it did get better ... eventually. Just remember that it takes a little more work/patience to convince them of your sincerity, as we have all been the butt of nasty jokes at one time or another...
10 years later, and I'm still falling for 'em...
... sigh ...

Yeah, what she said.

Damn, I need to get out more.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 10:17      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
It does get a lot easier in college.

I think it might be the fact that not everyone goes to college and those that do seem to be a little more interested in education than at high-school where to go is mandated by federal law. (here in America)

Which of course means that our witty remarks and our brianiac solutions to some of the simplest problems are a little more excepted and allows for some geeks to come out of their shells a little and provides for a great opportunity to meet other geeks and geekettes.

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JaceRaven:

It is just sad when your dad had to offer you the use of his car to go out. It's even worse if he gives you a condom and tells you that he will be gone for the entire weekend...
[/QUOTE/

I know I'm a little late joining this conversation, but how is that sad?

it is sad because he is leaving just so that you can do something. He is implyig that you need to get out.
Noldoaran
Geek
Member # 2003

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 30, 2004 20:48      Profile for Noldoaran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus:
Be friendly first, flirty second. We do start coming out of our shells in college though...

Very good advice. It usually takes some work to get geek guys to notice you (guys fault not yours). Don't be to subtle in hinting you like him.

(Hm.. I hope nobody gets upset with me for bringing back some old threads..)

Posts: 228 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 09:58      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
Now they're all there looking for temp jobs with Google so they can get closer to their beloved geek guys [Wink]

Hey!! Google has temp jobs? I want one! Seriously. They sound like a great company/great environment. Lots of geeks (right up my alley). Plus, I'd get to move away from home!

And no, this post is not representive of my usual high-quality English grammar skills. It's been a long, tiring week, and today's only Tuesday. [Frown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 10:37      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:

Hey!! Google has temp jobs? I want one! Seriously. They sound like a great company/great environment. Lots of geeks (right up my alley). Plus, I'd get to move away from home!

And no, this post is not representive of my usual high-quality English grammar skills. It's been a long, tiring week, and today's only Tuesday. [Frown]

I've never seen them hire anyone outside of California. So if you got a job with them, you'd be moving really far. [Razz]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gilraen
Newbie Larva
Member # 2915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 12:21      Profile for Gilraen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicole - I'm dating a geek guy at the moment (and I'm very happy, if I may say so)... okay he's not in highschool anymore but still. I had to tell him in plain and simple words how I felt about him and then tell him again because he thought I was just being silly.
After telling and showing him I really had feelings for him for a short period of time, he decided to believe me. [Big Grin]
Just give it some time and don't be too subtle. And yes I know, everybody else said the same thing.

--------------------
geeK IS Sexy

Posts: 7 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 18:35      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a geek guy, and yes we're dense. I've had a few crushes over the years (just finished HS), and never the courage to speak up. Found out later the girl in question also had a crush on me, but was too scared as well. Then, she started dating. Actually, this has happened ... twice, I think.

Please. For his sake (and yours?) don't just flirt - ask him on a date and make it clear that it is a date (Don't necessarily say it's a date, but some activities, like dinner+movie just scream 'date' while others, like "come on over to my house" or "let's study" don't. My point is, there are more ways of being subtle than flirting or being 'easy'.).

BTW - this is my first post, although I've been reading for a while (linked to from /.).

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 18:57      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
I am a geek guy, and yes we're dense. I've had a few crushes over the years (just finished HS), and never the courage to speak up. Found out later the girl in question also had a crush on me, but was too scared as well. Then, she started dating. Actually, this has happened ... twice, I think.

Please. For his sake (and yours?) don't just flirt - ask him on a date and make it clear that it is a date (Don't necessarily say it's a date, but some activities, like dinner+movie just scream 'date' while others, like "come on over to my house" or "let's study" don't. My point is, there are more ways of being subtle than flirting or being 'easy'.).

BTW - this is my first post, although I've been reading for a while (linked to from /.).

Welcome magefile. It's nice to see someone join who has something insightful to say as opposed to joins and immediately tries to sell us on another site or product.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
funkdefino
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2933

Icon 2 posted September 04, 2004 19:06      Profile for funkdefino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually, an influx of drugs & alchohol in college helps with the lack of self confidence, and geeky guys get much more chilled.... so don't worry too much.
Posts: 2 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture