homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » High School Geek Guys (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: High School Geek Guys
NicoleTheStrange
Newbie Larva
Member # 2625

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 17, 2004 17:20      Profile for NicoleTheStrange   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a high school student who loves geeky boys, and several times, have attempted to persue their affections. But, by nature, high school-age geeky boys are frightened of girls and run in the opposite direction. Most of the time it seems to be from disbelief that a girl actually likes them for their sarcastic and socially awkward selves, instead of the confident "jock" boys that seem to get all the attention. Or it could be just because they are HIGH SCHOOL BOYS.

Is there anything I can do now to remedy this, or will it simply get easier in college?

--------------------
"The point is, the only real tools we have are our eyes and our heads. It's not the act of seeing with our own eyes alone; it's correctly comprehending what we see." -Transmetropolitan

Posts: 6 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2004 18:29      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is there anything I can do now to remedy this, or will it simply get easier in college?
Well an easy girl is just a turn off....oh wait...heh [Smile]

Yeah, most geek guys, from my experience, run away from the paiaian, run away, run away, from the pain.

Oops, tangent. [Smile]

Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2004 22:50      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be friendly first, flirty second. We do start coming out of our shells in college though...

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 07:08      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To geek guys in HS - girls are just one of those things that you can not figure out the equation to. So fear and running away is not unsurprising.

Then again - my wife tells me I didn't then (and still don't) know a flirt even when hit upside the head with one. Since HS I have realized some advances that were made my way that then I was completely oblivious to. To geek guys in HS - girls are just one of those things that you can not figure out the equation to. So fear and running away is not unsurprising.

Then again - my wife tells me I didn't then (and still don't) know a flirt even when hit upside the head with one. Since HS I have realized some advances that were made my way that then I was completely oblivious to. So, the "running away" may not be fear but not realizing a female is actually interested in them combined with an intense interest in some technology do-hicky.

ooooo - what is that blinken light thing-a-ma-jig over there.......

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 07:12      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, by the way, Strange Nicole. Have a sparkly. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 09:31      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty dense. (no longer in high school, btw.) So if someone is flirting with me, they are pretty much going to have to say so. And they are going to have to do it in a way that won't make me think you are making fun of me.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 12:14      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so a girl would have to jump up on a nearby table or whatever spread her legs and scream, "Take me now! Take me now!" for you to get it?

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 12:28      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
so a girl would have to jump up on a nearby table or whatever spread her legs and scream, "Take me now! Take me now!" for you to get it?

Hhhmmm is that the way to get guys attention...quick I need a table!

--------------------
I am not the type of person to do shamless plugging,how dare you
http://freewebs.com/lordofmuffins

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 12:37      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah - that probably would have been about what it took then..... even now probably, but now I'm married so that isn't much of an issue anymore....

It did take my now wife stopping by my house several times, asking me to parties/group outings, and then my father suggesting that I might want the car to "go somewhere" before the light turned on for me back then.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 13:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to be a wet blanket, but it may be better to just wait until college. The geek boys tend to be a little more secure, and secure guys are easier to hook up with and infinitely easier to deal with then the insecure variety.

The guys also have to be interested in you at some level as well. I don't know what your situation is, but I was a "late-bloomer" - for some reason males didn't seem to give a hoot and a holler about me until I got to college. Even so, in the periods when I have been single, I haven't exactly been beating them off with sticks, and in te periods I haven'y been single the guy hasn't had to do much to hold onto his "claim".

Flirtation is one of th eodder parts of being in a LDR. You look single but you aren't. Most of the time, I don't even have to drag dman into chasing someone off though. The following conversation does the job quite nicely:
"What do you do?"
"I'm a grad student."
"What do you study?"
"Biochemistry."
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 13:11      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is just sad when your dad had to offer you the use of his car to go out. [shake head] It's even worse if he gives you a condom and tells you that he will be gone for the entire weekend...
aberrantgeek
Geek
Member # 2336

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 13:14      Profile for aberrantgeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NicoleTheStrange, you are awesome. Followed the link trail and found a huge list of your interests. waking life, monty python, sealab 2021, the beatles, george orwell, aldous huxley, quentin tarantino... all a girl would have to do would be to mention one of these things and they would have me talking.

--------------------
"Everyone's life sucks" -Jerry Seinfield

AIM SN=aberrantgeek

Posts: 106 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
NicoleTheStrange
Newbie Larva
Member # 2625

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 18, 2004 16:56      Profile for NicoleTheStrange   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies.

I have, several times, had to practically beat over the head with a stick a geeky guy who I had an interest in to get his attention. For all their smarts they can be fairly dense.

--------------------
"The point is, the only real tools we have are our eyes and our heads. It's not the act of seeing with our own eyes alone; it's correctly comprehending what we see." -Transmetropolitan

Posts: 6 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 17:10      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I be so bold to suggest that it's not just high school guys, or not even just geek guys that have this problem. A lot of guys don't seem to realise when a girl likes them, sometimes it takes a friendly nudge from one of their friends(who aren't in the situation, therefore see more clearly) to open their eyes.

From my own experience, I've only ever worked out for myself that a girl liked me on one occasion. And I may have even had some hints from friends then.

And let's not even mention the time that a girl I had a huge crush on asked me out.
Her: Do you want to go out with me?
Me: (thinking it was an accusation, and I'd been found out.) No.

/me still slaps his forehead over that one, possibly one of the dumbest moments of my life.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 18, 2004 17:11      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NicoleTheStrange:
Thanks for all the replies.

I have, several times, had to practically beat over the head with a stick a geeky guy who I had an interest in to get his attention. For all their smarts they can be fairly dense.

Most aren't used to the attention so will not even throw off any signs that they like you(they are a crafty bunch).They will deny it till death that they like you.In my experience if you want any attention whatso ever you must reveal your feelings first and hope for the best.

--------------------
I am not the type of person to do shamless plugging,how dare you
http://freewebs.com/lordofmuffins

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 17:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoth csk:

And let's not even mention the time that a girl I
had a huge crush on asked me out.
Me: (thinking it was an accusation, and I'd been
found out.) No.

/me still slaps his forehead over that one,
possibly one of the dumbest moments of my life.

Amen, brother! I've been there, done that - wish I could recommend a better way to clue someone in such that they don't make this bad assumption, as I have done in the past. The best idea I can come up with is to become friendly with said person first, such that they actually trust you, and find an interest in you. Good luck [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 19:31      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmkay....Im fairly well qualified to speak I guess....geeky, Sophomore. Ill even try to be honest. Here goes...First off, Im in a small school, so there Is only one or two other geeks to talk to, otherwise I end up ranting (thinking out loud is different than talking to oneself, and my classmates think I am insane because of this...but they think im homosexual as well, so I've given up on trying to socialize) to myself all day about d20, or linux, or something...I could have a "normal" conversation with someone, but considering that some of the people in my latin class COULDN'T NAME ALL OF THE CONTINENTS (no, im not joking, sadly enough), I'm disinclined to do that. I basically end up staring at girls from afar, wishing I could work up the courage to go and talk to them...when I do, I make it so cheesy that it just can't be real, ye know? like ehm...I could walk up to someone and say "Hey baby, you, uh, come around here often? *wink wink, nudge, nudge*" but going up and flirting or asking out on a date is beyond me.
As to your question, that is fairly simple to answer. If a girl comes up and starts talking to me, I assume its out of pity or just a quick laugh...not that they're actually interested in me, as I play no sports, have no muscles (-3 pack, baby), or life...If you wanna talk to a geek guy in high school show him you are genuinely interested in him, but (at least for me) that you aren't a shallow, sex crazed, hormone driven skank (Although if you post on the geekculture forums I sincerely doubt that is the case [Wink] ) Now, dont get me wrong...I don't wallow in self pity all day, and basically live out my life as a walking, sometimes talking steretoypical geek, its just that I dont think that people are honestly interested in me as a possible boyfriend-thingy. Sooo...*greases back hair* You come around here often, baby?

EDIT: I had a psuedo-girlfirend who was a goth in 8th grade...I had been bored and was walking around my school in an endless circle, thinking, and she just started walking with me and talking...that she was going through the same sarcasm/people suck phase that I was helped...we were almost-kinda-a couple before she left after one year at my school...like I said, just honestly talking about a subject he understands (D&D, gaming, Linux, etc.) works...intelligent conversation is more attractive (at least to me) than flirting.

--------------------
For large values of one, one equals two, for small values of two.

Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 20:10      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
And let's not even mention the time that a girl I had a huge crush on asked me out.

/me still slaps his forehead over that one, possibly one of the dumbest moments of my life.

Harsh!!! How does it end? tell me, tell me...

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2004 21:19      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan!:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

Harsh!!! How does it end? tell me, tell me...
She got visibly upset, said "Well, I don't want to go out with you then, either!", and stormed into class (Year 7 Home economics I believe. And I'd had a crush on her since about 5th or 6th class in primary school, known her since 2nd class or so). Come to think of it, I don't know why I didn't seek her out and explain and change my mind. I was obviously scared of girls at that stage.

Mind you, asking me out outside a classroom just before a class was due to start was probably not the most romantic timing in the world. Maybe that's why I got the wrong impression (I'll take any any excuse I can get [Big Grin] )

Edit: A crucial piece of information is that I hadn't told anyone at all about my crush on her, which makes my actions even more braindead.

Then there was the sister of a workmate who I hit it off well with at my workmates 21st, but I never had the guts to call her, despite a friend doing the same course as her mentioning that she'd said I'd made quite an impression on her. Actually, the girl herself was hinting that we should get together sometime and play tennis (and I never called her), so I really was pretty slow on the uptake.

If that's not enough to prove how unobservant guys can be (or this guy at least), then I'm sure I can dig deep and think of more examples [Big Grin] )

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2004 18:15      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
She got visibly upset, said "Well, I don't want to go out with you then, either!", and stormed into class (Year 7 Home economics I believe. And I'd had a crush on her since about 5th or 6th class in primary school, known her since 2nd class or so). Come to think of it, I don't know why I didn't seek her out and explain and change my mind. I was obviously scared of girls at that stage.
Ouch. Sorry csk...

--------------------
For large values of one, one equals two, for small values of two.

Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2004 21:33      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NicoleTheStrange:

to answer them respectively: no. often, yes.

males in high school are all hopeless. there are many hopeless males in college, too, but living in an environment of "drink, fight, and screw," as college often is, lightens them up sometimes. often, you'll just have to deal with the terror until they get over it.

personally, i like the "scared phase." at risk of sounding sadistic, it's always fun to make 'em blush and stutter. [Razz]

eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 12 posted March 19, 2004 22:53      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may be in luck for some insights this month.
If you can find an April copy of Ladies Home Journal there is a feature "live and laugh" page titled "Revenge of the Nerds". Page 68, by Judith Newman.

quote:
It will simply get easier with experience.

eDJ

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2004 23:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try making up a T-shirt

fsck /me

probably still a bit too subtle, but it might work.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2004 00:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

fsck /me

Yeah, you're right: How many guys would stop to ask, "What kind of distro has a directory '/me' anyway? What kind of mount point is that anyway (cue so many bad jokes, I won't even start)? What kind of filesystem is it?" You might even get the random geek who might say "Well, shouldn't that be `fsck /y /me` or `yes|fsck /me`?

*sigh*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2004 00:25      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

fsck /me

Yeah, you're right: How many guys would stop to ask, "What kind of distro has a directory '/me' anyway?
My first thought was "Hm, must be a Windows version".
Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture