homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » Thanksgiving.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thanksgiving.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2013 20:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a filthy furriner, I never quite understood 'Thanksgiving'.

I mean, if all the popular culture references are to be believed, most merkins view it with a sense of dread, as it usually ends with huge fights at the dinner table and someone wearing the charred remains of a turkey as a hat.

That said, I do kind of wish I'd been in America for Thanksgiving this year, specifically on this flight

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2013 00:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanksgiving in the US is simple: it's our version of a harvest celebration where families gather together and celebrate conspicuous consumption punctuated with American football and delusional misrepresentations of history.

Oh, we pretend it's about history and family and giving thanks, but you don't really give thanks for what you have by making a point of consuming far, far more than you have on a day-to-day basis. Thankfulness and modesty go hand in hand and neither has any place at our Thanksgiving tables.

To some, it is an excuse for family to get together, but that's a modern thing. Historically you either lived in the same town and saw your family all the time or you lived elsewhere and sure as hell didn't leave to go visit them when the weather was turning cold and there was a good chance getting trapped in a snow storm and dying.

And the historical aspect? Let's just note that the first Thanksgiving was in 1623, about a year after the Indian massacre of 1622. We ignore that and focus what little attention we're willing to pay on a harvest festival two years earlier to which some native Americans brought some venison. Much nicer and we can ignore all the other stuff. Wouldn't want anything to ruin the taste of that sixth slice of pie.

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of a holiday where you give thanks for what you have. I just don't think that's the Thanksgiving that most people in the US celebrate (though there are exceptions).

While everyone is celebrating Thanksgiving their way, I go up to the mountains and hike around a bit, thinking about the previous year. Walking among the leafless, lifeless trees makes for quite the somber, meditative hike. It's cold and uncomfortable and empty and lonely... and it's probably the only time when I can truly appreciate the things that aren't near at hand.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2013 01:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm...turkey... [Razz]

Yes, some take it way over the top, but I don't think I'd be quite as down on it.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2013 04:16      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea, I know no one, no family, that dreads thanksgiving. I guess I mostly know well adjustd families.

Thanksgiving for us is a time you spend catching up with family, eating good food, watching football and playing cards.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture