homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » Look at the size of that!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Look at the size of that!
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2008 10:14      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was trying to resize a bmp to a gif, using preview, but it wouldn't save for some reason. I think it may be due to a lack of disk space!

-

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2008 12:07      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, a resolution of 1 usually isn't recommended! [Eek!] [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2008 14:05      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was over 1 petabyte at 72 dpi too.
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2008 15:06      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only 72? We used 220 - 240 dpi when I worked in advertising. Still, that probably wouldn't cut down the image as much as you need, either.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2008 15:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you reduce the number of colours, you could probably shrink it down to less than 1 exabyte.

btw - I'm interested to see the image, wanna email it to me?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 23, 2008 20:19      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! That must be a big image! [crazy]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2008 01:04      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
If you reduce the number of colours, you could probably shrink it down to less than 1 exabyte.

This is what senator Ted, series of tubes, stevens was talking about. YOu don't have aq dump truck to drive that thing over, you have tubes, and those pixels are too big for the tubes.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2008 02:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

This is what senator Ted, series of tubes, stevens was talking about. YOu don't have aq dump truck to drive that thing over, you have tubes, and those pixels are too big for the tubes.
Oh yeah, how silly of me.
1 pixel/cm, those pixels are just too big to fit in those tiny fibre-optic cables.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2008 07:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cough* Use PNG! *cough*

(Though frankly, TFD...using GIF inherently reduces the number of colors, since GIF sucks. [Razz] )

Personally, I never use Preview for anything but viewing images...I find it significantly lacking in basic functionality. Instead, I use Seashore for my basic image manipulation. It's based on the Gimp core, but with Cocoa niceness. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2008 09:01      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gimp squeezed it down OK, so no more problems. I was just trying to take a print quality B/W logo and shrink it for a website.

Can all browsers read pngs thes days? I seem to remember explorer didn't support them last time I was doing websites.

TFD: If you really want the original image (all 320K of it), drop me a PM.

Huicho
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7905

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2008 09:14      Profile for Huicho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Explorer has beendoing PNGs for years.
Posts: 35 | From: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2008 10:36      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I checked Exlorer didn't properly handle transparency in PNGs. But that was over a year ago on IE6 I think. Maybe IE7 is better.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 24, 2008 11:22      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IE 7 should handle PNGs as good as JPEGs, and that's not a great thing [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Contest. Group. Success.

Huicho
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7905

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2008 13:01      Profile for Huicho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It still does not handle PNG transparency properly, but I use PNG for other stuff like banners and backgrounds. If I need tranparency, I usually use a GIF.
Posts: 35 | From: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2008 14:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
IE 7 should handle PNGs as good as JPEGs, and that's not a great thing [Roll Eyes]

Explain.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2008 14:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huicho:
It still does not handle PNG transparency properly, but I use PNG for other stuff like banners and backgrounds. If I need tranparency, I usually use a GIF.

I beg to differ. I may not like IE, but let's not perpetuate false claims. I just tried this page in IE7 and it's fine:
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/PNG/inline-alpha.html

(Also, you can make it work in IE6 if you use the following horrific CSS code:
code:
<!--[if lt IE 7]>
<style type="text/css" media="screen">
#foo {background: none; filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src="images/some-background.png");}
</style>
<![endif]-->

...it'll make you cry, but it works!)

--------------------

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2008 14:51      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

Explain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers#endnote_IEJPEG

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2008 16:26      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Huicho:

I beg to differ. I may not like IE, but let's not perpetuate false claims. I just tried this page in IE7 and it's fine:
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/PNG/inline-alpha.html

(Also, you can make it work in IE6 if you use the following horrific CSS code:
code:
<!--[if lt IE 7]>
<style type="text/css" media="screen">
#foo {background: none; filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src="images/some-background.png");}
</style>
<![endif]-->

...it'll make you cry, but it works!)

If I can make that out through my tears I'll put it in my toolbox. Thanks, dman.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2008 20:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Explain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers#endnote_IEJPEG
That's a pretty weak argument.

*gasp*

IE7 can't progressively load JPEGs. We're all gonna die!

I may not have loads of love for IE, but that's nothing major. IE7 is a reasonably capable browser, and like it or not, it's used but a huge number of people. It's also a *huge* improvement over IE6, pushed along in no small part by the competition of Firefox. Now...if you want underhanded, look at how Apple is pushing Safari installs through the Apple Software Update component installed by iTunes. Safari is dinky web browser, and it's pretty disgusting that they're pushing it out to people...where's their sense of pride?

--------------------

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 25, 2008 16:45      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I didn't mean IE sucked so much. Still, MS has that strange habit to make things incomplete. IE7 works just fine, and is a great improvement over IE6, but it still lags behind in full support for even the most basic standards, compared to other browsers.
Apple's move pushing Safari was indeed dumb considering it has become quite stable and very fast, plus CSS3 support (hmm... webfonts), so it's underrating a great browser.

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture