homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » Practical Joke (In planning stage)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Practical Joke (In planning stage)
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 17:52      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm planning this joke, and I have everything ready, and am just waiting for the opportunity:

I have ettercap installed on my desktop at work, when one of my buddies from the IT department (who is considerably less technical than the rest of us) goes to lunch, I plan to use ettercap to black-hole his MAC address. when he comes back, and comes to me for help (i have informed the rest of the dept, so they will play along) i plan to kill ettercap, go in, and start pretending to trouble shoot his computer, ending with smiling, walking around the desk and tapping on the case and announcing the problem fixed once i see the activity light on the nic flash.

Any suggestions or thoughts on how I might improve on this?

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 19:43      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say something in Latin (or pseudo-Latin) when you touch the case. Either that or an appropriate spell from Harry Potter.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 19:47      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rubber chicken.
Fake voodoo chant.
Smack computer with chicken when lights flash.
Say it should work now and let them try it.
Refuse to ever explain.

The sad thing is, I have done this although I had actually fixed something earlier, without being asked, so it wasn't a practical joke.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 20:31      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Move computer 6" to the left, point out dodgy ley line at old position, leave [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 20:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen intently to the computer for a couple of minutes, then say "Aha !" and thump it in a randomly chosen spot.

Problem solved.

Every time you need to 'fix' the computer, be sure to thump a different spot.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 20:50      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yawn....

Here's a thing we did to torment on of the newbie's about a zillion years ago.

We worked for a software firm doing X windows training and consulting, when X was a new thing. Someone wrote a little thing which tracked his mouse, and when it went over a region of the screen, it would slow down. Sort of like that area was sticky. After a few weeks we noticed that they guy just avoided moving to that portion of the screen. He would mouse around it without getting stuck in the patch.

I wonder where the code went. It would probably still work on any linux desktop.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 04:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AntonTakk _________________________ Walk up to opperatin position hold hands in Priestly position and intone "I can play dominos better than you can" while making the sign of the cross.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5837 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture