homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » You know your a geek when .... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: You know your a geek when ....
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 10:00      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted March 07, 2007 11:16      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then I'm not much of a geek. [cry baby] I have a car but no PDA, I don't collect cards nor action figures, and I have a balanced diet.

(Ok, I'm probably a different kind of geek, just not a comic one.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 11:50      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it was probably a non-geek that wrote this. Very few of them apply to me also.

But I still thought it was funny.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 12:58      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That seems to apply to what people think is geek when actually it is more like nerdy.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 15:44      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, this seems more dorky to me [Smile]

The general consensus was (and might still be) that nerds are generally intelligent people with wide ranging interests, geeks are people very knowledgeable about specific topics, and dorks are just socially inept without any specific knowledge or intelligence [Smile]

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 16:09      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice but doesn't really apply to geeks, I agree with metasquares except i think geeks are the one's which have a wide range of knowledge while nerds are focused on one thing.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 18:34      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know you're a geek when you pick apart the "You know you're a Geek when .. " joke. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 18:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd second the 'nerdy' or 'dorky' comments.

Besides, you'd have to either have a *huge* little black book, or be very stupid to know fewer URLs than girls' numbers. [Wink]

On another note, I remember very few numbers these days, as I have a cell phone / mobile with a contact list. [Wink] (And backed up in Address Book.app [or abook!])

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 18:55      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
You know you're a geek when you pick apart the "You know you're a Geek when .. " joke. [Roll Eyes]

Oh, she's good. [Wink]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 07, 2007 20:23      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so 90s... geeks are now the H4X0RS of the world!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 06:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know you're a geek when you can find yourself in this article: Dorkstorm: The Annihilation

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 06:54      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know you're a geek when you point out that the title of the thread has a grammatical error. ("You're", not "your".)
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 08:43      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hrmmm..

Seems that just the "Your family and friends use you as tech support." applies to me.. [Razz]

It also seems that it's assuming that the geek is a guy! Unless the geek happens to be lesbian..

Anyway...

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 10:03      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
You know you're a geek when you can find yourself in this article: Dorkstorm: The Annihilation

Steen: Did we ever get a definitive answer to the question of whether or not you are a Furrie?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 10:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garlicguy wrote:
Steen: Did we ever get a definitive answer to the question of whether or not you are a Furrie?

I don't think anyone has ever been brave enough to ask (at least not in public). Probably due to my complete lack of shame and willingness to answer such things and give too much info in the process.

So, in that spirit... no, I'm not a furry although I dated one once (she liked teddy bears). As a result I learned:

1) fake fur holds in body heat quite well

2) sweating profusely inside a fake fur suit results in an odor that is far worse than anything you ever thought your armpit could produce

3) you should really make sure the fake fur can be washed in water, because there's no way you'll have the nerve to take it to a dry cleaner and leave it with your name attached

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 14:18      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh, crap, I fit THREE of those!!! (not telling!)

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 14:39      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Oh, crap, I fit THREE of those!!! (not telling!)

Hmm... If I were going to make a guess, I'd say Vampirism, LARP and RPGs.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 20:07      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I'm currently 0/10 [Frown] (though at times I have engaged in a couple)

Maybe I should find something better to do with my time?

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 12 posted March 08, 2007 20:11      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
You know you're a geek when you point out that the title of the thread has a grammatical error. ("You're", not "your".)

Thank you for posting this before me (*laugh*). When I saw it, I had a feeling like chewing steel wool -- that scritchy painful up-the-spine grating.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 22:36      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only one. [Happytears]
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 22:45      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got seven.

And everyone knows Sisko is the best captain. [Razz]
And dressing up as Darth Maul for my 21st birthday was fun too.

--------------------

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 22:48      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got any pictures? [Big Grin]
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 22:50      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of yours for one of mine. [Wink]

--------------------

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 22:53      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You as Darth Maul. [Big Grin]
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 04:12      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on two and a half - I do know more URLs that phone numbers, be they male or female; and my friends and family use me for tech support. The half is that I own everything on the "but not a C-A-R" list except the PS2 - that's because the rest are actually useful!
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture