homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » Mac vs. Windows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mac vs. Windows
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2007 18:32      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve Jobs and Bill Gates-- the ultimate lightsaber duel
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted February 19, 2007 18:55      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sucks! You suck! Oh man that was beautiful!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2007 15:53      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes Commodore 64... I never did figure out how to use one.

An iHouse? That would be just too cool. [Applause]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2007 23:12      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't know how to use a Commodore?

Seriously?

It's as easy as LOAD "ULTIMA IV" ,8,1

[Smile]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2007 00:31            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You didn't have LOAD "" on the C64?

I'm used to CHAIN "" -- run the next file you find on the cassette. (It does blow up on tape-to-disc conversions though ;)

For discs, hold shift and press break to automatically boot the disc. (It's scary how many people never got the hang of that, but it still owns)

IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2007 07:01      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't tried chain yet - maybe I'll break out my commodore and see how it works [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2007 10:01      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
You didn't have LOAD "" on the C64?

Yes. Load existed.

LOAD "$", 8
LIST

LOAD "PROGRAM", 8, 1

LOAD "PROGRAM", 8
RUN

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2007 13:29            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Yes. Load existed.

Huh? Not LOAD, LOAD "" ... i.e. specifcally no filename -- load the next file on cassette regardless of name (unless that is what LOAD "$" does, but you didn't specify).

Then you have all those weird numbers after the command ... I'm used to LOAD (load BASIC application into RAM) and CHAIN (load and execute BASIC application). These are BASIC commands.

*LOAD loads a binary image into RAM, and *RUN or */ loads and executes a binary image. The * versions are OS commands that are independent of BASIC, and they default to the load and execution address metadata saved with files. They can be called from any language or application.

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2007 13:42      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice docs on the load command.

--------------------

Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2007 14:26      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
You don't know how to use a Commodore?

Seriously?

It's as easy as LOAD "ULTIMA IV" ,8,1

[Smile]

Yes, seriously. [blush]

I wasn't into computers at first. They used to baffle me. I think it was that I never setlled down long enough on any one system to learn it properly. Then one day I decided to stop being a dud and learn something. By that time, I was exposed to the Amiga, so I started from there. [Smile] [hearts]

EDIT: I did take BASIC classes in high school (I do remember PEEK and POKE) but I wasn't very good at it. [ohwell]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2007 14:32      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amigas rule... those were some awesome machines. I was so envious of my friends who had those after my mother condemned us to 80286s. (We had Commodores, then Apples, then she went "blue" as it were)

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2007 14:59            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PEEK and POKE are a bit lame. I never did see the appeal of those. I'm used to the three memory indirection operators, ?, ! and $. They're valid on either side of =, and reference a byte, a word (four bytes) and a string respectively.

e.g.

foo = ?&400 : REM read one byte from 0x400 into foo
$&1A00 = "Bar" : REM put the string "Bar" at 0x1A00

You also have offset addressing, e.g. x!y is a shortcut for !(x + y).

PEEK and POKE make me puke :P

Funny thing is, though, I've seen people relocate data across RAM using ! and a FOR loop that increments in steps of 4. I'm sure I've done the same, having copied others. But it's just occurred to me: what would the point of that be? On an 6502 microprocessor, ! pulls four bytes into a BASIC variable through an 8-bit CPU. Surely that's going to be sub-optimal compared to just using ?, which is the native "word" size (one byte)?

I am going to have to time both ways and see which is faster :P

I still think the LOAD syntax is unnecessarily scary :P But then, the C64 doesn't seem to have a concept of an active file system.

LOAD "foo", 8
RUN

is like:

*DISC
CHAIN ""

(except the Disc Filing System, or any other additional user file system, overrules the Cassette Filing System and is active by default and thus need not be requested -- it's more normal to issue *TAPE to insist a file be loaded from cassette)

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2007 21:14      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
Amigas rule... those were some awesome machines. I was so envious of my friends who had those after my mother condemned us to 80286s. (We had Commodores, then Apples, then she went "blue" as it were)

And Lemmings kicked arse [Big Grin] I know it's been said on these boards before, but I have to repeat it: the PC version was horribly lame in comparison to the original Amiga implementation.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture