homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » Mother's Day video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mother's Day video
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 11:39      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://barney.gonzaga.edu/~lbarats/vids/mothersday.mov

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 11:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was awesome.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 5 posted May 12, 2006 12:00            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This requires QuickTime 7, I take it? (the point where you're forced to have iTunes too; I'm treasuring my slim, QT 6-only installer)

I get a message saying that I need extra software to play it but which is not found on the server. How can the appropriate Apple (it's mov!) codec not be on their own server? And isn't it about time that video frameworks told the player the name, rank and serial number of the required codec and where to find it on the Web for download? (instead of just enough data to only find those few corporately acceptable codecs they want you to have; WMV and mov will let the player ID some codecs, but if Microsoft and Apple have not endorsed and probably even created them, or they were not around at the time the player was released in Apple's case, you're greeted with a meaningless error that amounts to "I can't play this, bugger off.")

I didn't realise MPC could play mov; I get the sound (like I do with QuickTime) but its GUI locks up.

'Bout time the Open Source world create its own media framework and player and gets everyone using it. The biggest joke here is the continual uselessness of proprietary media frameworks. (And that I can't have a newer QuickTime without iTunes and without it running various other weird processes all the time)

IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 20:51      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I agree the opensource video world is sketchy at best, I guess I had the right plugins, as I clicked on it (i use mozplugger or whatever the current firefox incarnation is named), and it played in my browser with no hitches.
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 21:19            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Normally I insist on all media being downloaded to my hard drive (so I can play it again later without needing to download it again, saves me time and them, bandwidth) but QuickTime won't permit this and forces you to play movies inline in the Firefox window. I threw away all the QuickTime browser plugin DLLs from Firefox's plugins folder (probably after I caught it stuck using 100% CPU inside Firefox) but the bastard thing discovers this and puts new copies back.

Oddly, in this case, it downloaded automatically to disc -- very weird, doesn't normally do that -- so I "watched" it in QuickTime Player 6 (well, watched a white rectangle and listened to the audio).

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 21:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it's usually still proprietary, I really believe that Flash is the way to go these days. It's the least common denominator, and it seems to "Just Work." YouTube and Google Video pretty much work anywhere.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 21:30      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I thought you didn't like Flash 'cause of the bandwidth it uses and the sometimes slow load times, dman?

Or was that someone/something else?

[Confused]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 21:35            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, oddly, there are people who can't get YouTube to work (and I don't fancy the horror of trying to diagnose that!) and it's a bit slow (uses far too much CPU for the low video quality) but yes, it does work.

Thing is, how do you save the videos for later? Some bloke has made an FLV player for Windows, but you know my paranoia about spyware and other nasties, and general reluctance to download anything on my PC. For Mac OS 9, you're a bit stuck -- one bloke did pose this question on another forum. One solution would be to download a Flash-based FLV player, and use an AppleScript applet to select an FLV to play and construct a URL to point to the FLV player swf referencing the chosen FLV file :) It's not a nerdy forum whatsoever so no-one replied, but maybe I'll try it one day. The funny thing is that the FLV player I was toying with would even play movies from other sites, like:
(address of FLV player)?play=(address of FLV on annother site)

As for mov, I have no idea whether H.7of9 (or whatever-the-fuck Apple's new codec is called in QuickTime 7) is available for Mac OS 9, I don't believe QT 7 is. It's not available for pre-2000 windowsm either, so using FLV gives Mac OS 9 and Windows 9x/NT 4.x a better chance :)

Of course, QuickTime's API is so futureproof, all we need is an H.7of9 codec; as Tut will point out, really old versions of QuickTime such as 2.5 will still access modern codecs. So either the API is spectacular, or it smells of feet wrapped in leathery burnt bacon.

[Edit: Rhonwyyn No, he doesn't hate Flash. Any such feelings were removed from his head as a side effect of using a Spoonguard ;) ]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 22:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're both half right, half wrong.

Rhonwyyn...you really didn't pay attention to my post's intentions...I think you jumped the gun on that post. I stressed that Flash is good for multimedia playback like this.

Flash sucks when used pointlessly - like for ads or navigation menus on websites. Flash is great for multimedia...especially when done with native Flash vectors and the like.
e.g. http://rathergood.com/spoonguard/ and my old standby snipurl: http://snipurl.com/research_tool

Quicktime has fantastic quality, but it can practically hose a machine starting up, and it just isn't universal. WMP is more obnoxious, and we just won't talk about Real Player (even though it has the most supported platforms of the 3).

MPEG is the real universal format, but it's not practical for fast Internet usage.

When I just want to laugh at this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=wThExaW14oM it's awfully nice to be able to do so from any platform. [Smile]

And while thinking about cars, I might want to share this with a friend easily:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-910766048223698423 -- which inspired this gem:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2316593933462811351

My mind is still on cars and online videos...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1688711133029033521

I can't be bothered to find a bad use of Flash at the moment, but rest assured, there are lots of them! That's why I block Flash in Firefox...I only click to view it on pages where I want to see it. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 10 posted May 12, 2006 23:08            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I knew, that, silly [Razz] I was joking.

And that Google animation (the snipurl one) is great!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 23:08      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
You're both half right, half wrong.

Rhonwyyn...you really didn't pay attention to my post's intentions...I think you jumped the gun on that post. I stressed that Flash is good for multimedia playback like this.

I can't be bothered to find a bad use of Flash at the moment, but rest assured, there are lots of them! That's why I block Flash in Firefox...I only click to view it on pages where I want to see it. [Smile]

I didn't jump the gun, dman. I was just trying to remember something you had said months ago about not liking Flash in general. That's why I asked.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 11:56      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I didn't see all this before the weekend.

uill, if .wmv works better for you, try this. Or I think if you go to www.baratsandbereta.com there might be a YouTube link as well (sorry, no time to go fishing for the direct link). Plus some other pretty funny stuff.

--------------------
Ugh!

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 12:21      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Flash sucks when used pointlessly - like for ads or navigation menus on websites.

Or entire fscking websites.

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [devil wand] [devil wand] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 20:23      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate Flash most when the youngest Clublet pulls up the Barbie or Nickolodean site on my poor old iMac DV. Especially if she hides the browser and starts an innocent game of Snood, leaving me to wonder why the fsck my machine is running so darn slow!

--------------------
Ugh!

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 20:37            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snoooood!!!!

Now that was an evil game if ever I saw one [Razz] But very addictive. I blame goo for that one.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture