homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » 9 Things I Hate About Everyone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 9 Things I Hate About Everyone
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 12:19      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No idea where this originally came from...

1. People who point at their wrist while asking for the time.... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

2 People who are willing to get off their a** to search the entire room for the T.V. remote because they refuse to walk to the T.V. and change the channel manually.

3 When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Darn right! What good is cake if you can't eat it?

4 When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the heck would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they? Gonna Kick their butts!

5 When people say while watching a film "did you see that?". No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the floor.

6 People who ask "Can I ask you a question?".... Didn't really give me a choic e there, did ya sunshine?

7. When something is 'new and improved!'. Which is it? If it's new, then there has never been anything before it. If it's an improvement, then there must have been something before it, couldn't be new.

8 When people say "life is short". What the crap?? Life is the longest dang thing anyone ever does!! What can you do that's longer?

9 When you are waiting for the bus and someone asks "Has the bus come yet?". If the bus came would I be standing here, dumba**?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 12:22      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10. When people whine about things people do. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 12:26      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:

3 When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Darn right! What good is cake if you can't eat it?

The original phrase makes more sense, you cannot eat your cake and still have it.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 13:01      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was posted before. mod redundant... Oh, wait.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 13:50      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost all of them are direct pulls from George Carlin.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 14:06      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Almost all of them are direct pulls from George Carlin.

Well, shoot.

Sorry for the redundancy folks [blush]

--------------------
Ugh!

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 16:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4 When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the heck would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they? Gonna Kick their butts!

Actually, that is not true for me. After hearing my parents say that one too many times as a child, I mad a point of continuing to look for something after I'd already found it. The next time they said that to me, I explained that it really isn't always in the last place you look.

I was beaten a lot as a child [crazy]

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 19:17      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I was beaten a lot as a child [crazy]

That explains a lot. [Big Grin]

/me ducks

--------------------
Ugh!

niniel
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4430

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 20:47      Profile for niniel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

2 People who are willing to get off their a** to search the entire room for the T.V. remote because they refuse to walk to the T.V. and change the channel manually.

Because if you're like me and enjoy changing channels every two seconds it's very annoying to stay there standing the press the Channel button =P

--------------------
Uno no está listo para vivir si no está listo para morir.
_,_,·~

Posts: 47 | From: Honduras | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 00:32      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:

The original phrase makes more sense, you cannot eat your cake and still have it.
The swiss version of this makes the most sense to me. It goes "You can't have the nickle and the roll." I never really got the cake thing, it's confusticated.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 09:01      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
quote:

The swiss version of this makes the most sense to me. It goes "You can't have the nickle and the roll." I never really got the cake thing, it's confusticated.
Is the "roll" in that phrase something you eat, or something you wrap nickles with? If it's the kind of roll you eat then that does make sense. But I like Peebs' version a little better, at least in English, because it seems to leave less room for confusion.

--------------------
Ugh!

JCrudent66
Geek Larva
Member # 4517

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted March 08, 2006 18:31      Profile for JCrudent66     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
5 When people say while watching a film "did you see that?". No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the floor.

Of course you're not serious about this one becuase they obviously don't mean it literally. Its just another way of saying, "that was amazing!!!!" [Smile]

--------------------
John

Posts: 24 | From: WITSA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 22:00      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
quote:

Is the "roll" in that phrase something you eat, or something you wrap nickles with? If it's the kind of roll you eat then that does make sense. But I like Peebs' version a little better, at least in English, because it seems to leave less room for confusion.
I like the Swiss version, makes more sense.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Tiroth
Geek-in-Training
Member # 8543

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 19:41      Profile for Tiroth   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

8 When people say "life is short". What the crap?? Life is the longest dang thing anyone ever does!! What can you do that's longer?

Maintain a skeletal structure?

-Tiroth

--------------------
Life is neither a good nor an evil; it is simply the place where good and evil exist.

-Seneca

Posts: 35 | From: Death Valley | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 07:19      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are people picking this apart? He just found it and posted it -- he didn't write it.

It's a silly joke, and it's made funnier because the teller is supposed to be complaining about irrational things [Smile] Thanks for sharing it, Ugh!

I think the "nickel and the roll" quote can be translated as: "You can't have the pastry and still keep the money you paid for it."

I agree with Peebs, as well. The "eat your cake and have it, too" misquote (of "have your cake and eat it, too") is like the "Set a man a fire . . . " misquote (of "Set a man on fire"). It takes effort to make sense of the misquotes. Now, I do understand the misquote is akin to "You can't [save aside] your cake and [consume it completely], too," but it also can sound like "You can't [get a piece for yourself of] cake and [consume] it, too." That second meaning is the one which creates the confusion.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 07:49      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More commonly, it's "have your cake and eat it" -- at least where I come from. (But then you septics like to turn things arse upwards -- like people who say "I could care less" when they actually mean "I couldn't care less" -- this is the great danger of repeating 'heard phrases' rather than thinking for a moment about what they mean in the first place. Hmm. I'm beginning to think these parenthesies have been going on way too long... ) [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 08:00      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiroth:
quote:

Maintain a skeletal structure?

-Tiroth

Be dead? [Wink]

But more seriously, I think it's another case of taking it too close to the letter: life is too short to do all there is to do, see all there is to see, and meet all the people one should meet. So don't waste time, and seize every opportunity to do, see and meet all you can do, see and meet.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 09:00      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh! You should have deposited this thing (from last March) in the Joke Bank. Then everyone would have known it was just a joke and they wouldn't have felt the need to re-interpret the whole post line-by-line.

That's my story, anyway.

</end sarcasm>

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 11:27      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks gg. After my annual booster shot of remediation I have learned to post everything I say in the Joke Bank from now on. That way everyone will know I can't be serious. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ugh!

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 12:05      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
More commonly, it's "have your cake and eat it" -- at least where I come from. (But then you septics like to turn things arse upwards -- like people who say "I could care less" when they actually mean "I couldn't care less" -- this is the great danger of repeating 'heard phrases' rather than thinking for a moment about what they mean in the first place. Hmm. I'm beginning to think these parenthesies have been going on way too long... ) [Smile]

Idioms, by nature, are not supposed to mean anything if their semantic components are interpreted independently.

Also, I've seen remotes that can perform functions that are not on the panels of some TVs. Stupid design, but that's a good reason to spend an hour looking for the remote [Smile]

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 16:24      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
(But then you septics like to turn things arse upwards --

Hey wait a minute spungo! Aren't you the one that's known for his sheep fetish?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture