homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » How do you back up?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you back up?
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 01, 2005 08:25      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick survey of GC members backup behaviours and techniques

Poll Information
This poll contains 7 question(s). 22 user(s) have voted.
Voting stopped at October 07, 2005 05:19 board time.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 09:22      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put the clutch to the floor, push the shifter all the way to the right and down. Then, I let the clutch out as I accelerate slowly.

Of course, I check both ways first so I don't back over any children.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 18:28      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh ho - very witty my friend...

But in that sense I'm with you - back my car up *carefully*

Don't know about where you are, but here in the UK if you are in a Supermarket carpark and want to back up you can guarantee some idiot will walk right behind the damn car (motor running and reversing lights on or not...)

[Mad]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 19:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Oh ho - very witty my friend...

But in that sense I'm with you - back my car up *carefully*

Don't know about where you are, but here in the UK if you are in a Supermarket carpark and want to back up you can guarantee some idiot will walk right behind the damn car (motor running and reversing lights on or not...)

[Mad]

Stupidity is culture independent, sir.

(In other words, yes, people do it here too.)

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 19:25      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dnm: wtf are you talking about? You push the clutch in, leave your foot on the brake so you don't roll forward, then you push the shifter straight down and into 2nd gear. Then you can do the slow, steady release of the clutch, et. al.

(There's a hidden joke in here for a few who may know to find it) [crazy]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 19:55      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(There's a hidden joke in here for a few who may know to find it)
Not fair! [cry baby]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 20:24      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:

*mutters* ...damn VW drivers.... can't put reverse where it belongs....

[Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 20:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What...I'm the only person who backs up to tape? I find that hard to believe. [Razz]

Also, am I the only one who'd follow a particular strategy because of a cute salesperson? Surely there much be another pitiful geek out there like myself? [Wink] Actually...it was a lie...I do certain backups because it's just process, and at home, because some data is very important to me (my digital pictures, for instance). Mind you, I've seen my fair share of nice reps at LWE, and would probably at least /try/ some of their solutions... [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 06:54      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:

*mutters* ...damn VW drivers.... can't put reverse where it belongs....

[Big Grin] [Razz]

REverse on my VW was by pushing down and going PAST first into reverse which was to the far left and up..
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 07:20      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
What...I'm the only person who backs up to tape? I find that hard to believe. [Razz]

Also, am I the only one who'd follow a particular strategy because of a cute salesperson? Surely there much be another pitiful geek out there like myself? [Wink] Actually...it was a lie...I do certain backups because it's just process, and at home, because some data is very important to me (my digital pictures, for instance). Mind you, I've seen my fair share of nice reps at LWE, and would probably at least /try/ some of their solutions... [Razz]

Tape's just to small to back up to for my stuff now. Hard drives have moved into the Terrabyte territory for home/small business use (at least in our home/small business) and tapes are still in the 20-40GB range, as well as being more expensive than just buying another big hard drive to back up to.

There's also the issue that my archived hard drives seem to have lasted longer than any of my tapes or optical disks over the space of a few years (at least the non Hitachi/IBM Deathstar ones anyway).

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 07:24      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the *classic* VW's (Bugs, Busses, Karmann Ghias, Squarebacks, Fastbacks, Kubelwagens, et. al.) (namely, the old air-cooled kind), reverse was one of two things, on most you pushed the stick straight down and then into first gear, or on the busses it was straight down and into second gear.

Interesting way of doing things as this actually makes more mechanical sense w.r.t. the transmission itself. Pushing down on the stick engages another gear that turns clockwise into anti-clockwise and makes forward go reverse. In "normal" cars, you're actually doing two motions inside the transmission with only one motion of the stick, this way it's motion per motion. *shrug*

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 16:53      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
REverse on my VW was by pushing down and going PAST first into reverse which was to the far left and up..

The newer waster pumpers are. It keeps you from jumping into reverse when you get very active. But on the classic bugs they were different as MMKK said. I remember on the two I owned reverse dumped out on both. And on my first bug it took me a good 15 minutes to figure out how to get the damn thing into it...

Bleh. That is why I like good ol' American rock crusher muncie's.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 20:32      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97: What...I'm the only person who backs up to tape? I find that hard to believe. [Razz]
In my 20 + years of experience, I've found that, for most people, tape is freakin' useless. They require far more attention than you want to give them, so they almost always fall short when you need them.

I like to back up to disk, preferably off site. Since virtually everthing I do that is worth saving is under revision control and I never put my CVS servers on my development machines, I always have a fresh copy of my sources on two different spindles. Occasionally, I back up entire project trees to DVD.

Of course, I don't manage a 100 person site. In that case tapes make sense. But, that assumes we have 2 or 3 full time admins to make sure the tape system is really backing things and that you can restore from it. Most smaller businesses can't afford this. What they realy need is a big-ass raid system that will tell them "One of my disks failed - run down to Staples, buy a new one and put it in today!!". Sadly, they don't do that yet.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 22:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My really good, really important, can-never-be-collected again data that has been processed and played with gets backed up to an external HD and will later be archived onto DVDs. I have like 60 gigs of data backed up. I have no idea how many DVDs this is going to turn into, but I'm sure I will be getting plenty of crap from my colleagues about my piggish ways. :/

At home I have some important documents backed up onto floppies. This is not good. I should send them to my google account, along with some pics I'd rather not lose.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 03:13      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooohhhh Xanth,

Any backup is better than none - but floppy disks is only about one step up from writing it down on the back of an old envelope (because floppies are so unreliable).

You *really* should do something about that... anything... and soon!

60GB is about 15+ DVDs (depending on how big the files are, small files can fill the whole disk but sometimes big ones don't fit nice and you have to waste some space)

My work archive runs to about 100 CDs and 4 DVDs at present and grows by about one DVD a month now - graphics files get BIG! All doubled up and one copy stored in the fireproof document safe.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 07:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: Didn't you get an iPod? You can put files on there, ya know? I'm pretty sure while you have it open in iTunes or something, you can open it like a regular drive in Windows Explorer - assuming the whole thing isn't completely filled with music. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 08:07      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At work, it's a Fibre Channel dual-LTO3-drive library.

At home, it's less like tape and more like ddrescue and ddrhelp, which is to say there's a lot of renaming in lost+found going on.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 10:52      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97: What...I'm the only person who backs up to tape? I find that hard to believe. [Razz]
In my 20 + years of experience, I've found that, for most people, tape is freakin' useless. They require far more attention than you want to give them, so they almost always fall short when you need them.

I like to back up to disk, preferably off site. Since virtually everthing I do that is worth saving is under revision control and I never put my CVS servers on my development machines, I always have a fresh copy of my sources on two different spindles. Occasionally, I back up entire project trees to DVD.

Of course, I don't manage a 100 person site. In that case tapes make sense. But, that assumes we have 2 or 3 full time admins to make sure the tape system is really backing things and that you can restore from it. Most smaller businesses can't afford this. What they realy need is a big-ass raid system that will tell them "One of my disks failed - run down to Staples, buy a new one and put it in today!!". Sadly, they don't do that yet.

You don't need several admins for that. You just need to buy a competent solution. I can recommend the IBM TSM software together with their tape libraries. Very high "just work" factor on those.

Total admin time, perhaps 10% of one admin, on average. More when setting it up, less when just running it. Andhose scale up to a few hundred TB or so.

And for off-site, just get another one and do backup replication. You can choose what classes of data you want off-site copies of too, if you don't want to get two huge tape libraries.

Posts: 71 | From: UmeŚ, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 04:05      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my home backups syncing to a Firewire HD I used to use Carbon Copy Cloner, but recently I changed to the $20 shareware app SuperDuper!, which I find works better and in true Mac fashion is simple intuitive and jargon free. I would recommend either of them, and both can be automated to run at regular intervals.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 10:47      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Callipygous on this one... Carbon Copy Cloner to an external Firewire HDD. The HDD is formatted into three volumes, one to backup my G4 iMac, one to backup Mrs Grummash's iBook, and the third is just some extra storage. Bootable backups...mmmmmm [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture