homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » Fw: Book smarts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fw: Book smarts
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 13:10      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple goes on vacation to a fishing resort in northern Minnesota. The husband likes to fish at the crack of dawn. The wife likes to read.

One morning the husband returns after several hours of fishing and decides to take a nap. Although not familiar with the lake, the wife decides to take the boat out. She motors out a short distance, anchors and continues to read her book.

Along comes a game warden in his boat. He pulls up alongside the woman and says, "Good morning, Ma'am. What are you doing?"

"Reading a book," she replies. (thinking, isn't that obvious?)

"You're in a restricted fishing area", he informs her.

"I'm sorry officer, but I'm not fishing, I'm reading."

"Yes, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment. I'll have to take you in and write you up."

"If you do I'll have to charge you with sexual assault," says the woman.

"But I have not even touched you," says the game warden.

"That's true, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment."

"Have a nice day ma'am," and he left.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 14, 2005 13:26      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] HAHA, I like that.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 21:42      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a pet peeve ... is she not also equipped for sexual assault?
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 22:56      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found that really offensive.

I'm really not sure why but that I took that joke to heart. [shake head]

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 07:08      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oldie, but a goodie. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 10:53      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Just a pet peeve ... is she not also equipped for sexual assault?

Yeah, I guess she is. I don't know, it struck my funny bone. The joke is that he was going to charge her for something she hadn't done (but was capable of doing) so she would charge him with something he hadn't done (but was capable of doing). You could probably change it from sexual assault to robbery or battery and it would still work.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 10:01      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's really not funny at all, because of the implication that she herself is incapable of sexual assault.

/soapbox

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 10:07      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nay-sayers: get a f*ckin' life - it's a joke, fer cripes' sake!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 11:16      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Nay-sayers: get a f*ckin' life - it's a joke, fer cripes' sake!

Just because they have the capability it doesn't mean that they will [Wink]
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 11:53      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
Wow, that's really not funny at all, because of the implication that she herself is incapable of sexual assault.

/soapbox

How on earth does it imply that? If I say you have all the equipment to hit me, does that imply that I am incapable of hitting you? I think you're putting your own bias in the joke. /speck...log...

And to quote spungo it's a joke, fer cripes' sake! [crazy]

--------------------
óMiss Piggy

Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 15:09      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while I agree that yes it *is* just a joke (and quite a good one at that) it is also extremely offensive, (as most of the best jokes are) but that is socially acceptable in this context as it is offensive to middle class white males, which are the only sector of society left that it is "acceptable to insult. I think (hope) that my point is that it should really be an all or nothing situation, so it should either be acceptable to insult anyone in the context of a joke or no one.

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 15:30      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, even a decent joke can run afoul of pet peeves and/or personal vendettas. That doesn't mean it's a bad joke.

The joke is primarily one of turning an official's bad logic back on him. Sexual assault helps with the humor of the joke because then "equipment" becomes a double entendre.

Of course, now that I've analyzed the joke, it's not funny for me either. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 23:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al Gore, Rev. Al Sharpton, and George W. Bush go into a bar...and order three tall glasses of tap water on ice.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2005 16:19      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I hope I didn't start that. Anyway, I don't mind it, I'm not offended (though I am a white middle-class male). I think it's funny, I just like to nitpick that way.

And FWIW, I'm physically disabled - yet there are lots of jokes about the disabled that I will tell, or laugh at when my able-bodied friends tell 'em. It's all in how the joke is told.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2005 03:56      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alephcat:
.. that is socially acceptable in this context as it is offensive to middle class white males, which are the only sector of society left that it is "acceptable to insult..

Perhaps I am missing something here, could someone show me where the joke implies the game warden is middle class and white?

*echo spungo's view* [Smile]

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2005 11:14      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good one, Peebs. Reminds me of another oldie but goodie:

Game warden notices a fisherman who comes into the dock every day with a limit of fish, even when everyone else catches nothing. Curious, the warden asks the successful fisherman, "What's your secret?"

The fisherman replies, "Why not come with me tomorrow and find out for yourself?"

The next morning, the two of them are in the boat, the fisherman stops the boat, drops anchor, lights a stick of dynamite and tosses it overboard. It explodes underwater and several nice fish float to the surface, which he scoops in with his net.

"Now wait just a minute!" says the warden, "You can't do that, it's against the law!"

The fisherman, unphased, lights another stick of dynamite and tosses it at the warden's feet saying, "You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?"

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
Geek
Member # 2724

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 24, 2005 11:56      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the joke was pretty good! [Big Grin]
Posts: 147 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture