homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » M$ has done it again...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: M$ has done it again...
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 23, 2004 09:13      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taken from the M$ Assessment test I took this morning--notice the words in bold:

You have been asked to help organize an incident response team. Your organization recently hired a Chief Security Officer (CSO), who is sponsoring the incident response team. You are temporarily reporting to the CSO while the team is defined and created. You will not be part of the final response team.

The incident response team roles include:
* Incident lead
* IT contact
* Legal representative
* Pubic relations representative
* Business management representative

You must identify which role will own specific response activities. For example, a key part of the response to an incident will be the implementation of a permanent fix.

Which team role would be responsible for the permanent fix?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2004 09:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your company does the boneheaded thing of running M$ server software for mission-critical tasks. For instance, you work for a bank. The server has imploded, and your customers cannot access their bank accounts from ATMs nationwide.

Do you:
a. Put your engineers (sysadmins/programmers/IT lackeys) in front of the cameras, wasting time that could be spent recovering from the mess?

-or-

b. Have your Public Relations Manager diffuse the situation, and explain the status, and path to recovery, while it goes on behind the scenes?

M$ isn't *that* stupid - they have their reasons.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2004 12:28      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right, DMan, but IT staff/sysadmin/programmers is NOT in the list given. The closest they have is an IT contact (and quite frankly, I consider a "contact" to be a mere human firewall, not the one giving the service). You may even notice that none of the roles given actually deal with the problem itself, only with how to _manage around_ it. That's what I find most funny about it.

So tell me, who, in that list, would be responsible for the permanent fix? The "legal representatives," maybe? (I'm sure they're the ones who first coined the famous "It's not a bug, it's a feature!") [Wink]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2004 12:55      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this case they (rightly) view the IT department as a black box for resolving the permanent fix. The IT contact liases (sp?) with the IT manager and the elves get busy...
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2004 13:34      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Members of an Incident Response Team would likely to be higher up on the food chain than wee sysadmins. If anything would happen, the IT Contact would probably not be doing all of the fixing anyway (even if (s)he's an expert). (S)he'd probably be responsible for getting a team a crack commandos (possibly driving a circa 1980 custom van) to figure out a fix.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2004 15:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
So tell me, who, in that list, would be responsible for the permanent fix?

In the best of all possible worlds, the permanent fix would go like this.....

IT Contact: This problem is caused by the crappy MS server fscking up again ! Can we get rid of it and install a real operating system?

Management Representative: Yes.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2004 19:24      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Which team role would be responsible for the permanent fix?

Define "responsible", and you've got your answer. I suspect that they mean when the proverbial hits the fan, who gets to decide what gets done (not necessarily doing it, big difference). So my guess would be the Business management representative is the responsible role. Sure, the IT team will analyse, do any emergency fixes, and report on progress/options for fixing/etc to the business management, but the call ultimately lies with them, IMHO.
Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2004 21:36      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Step 1: Which team would you possibly fall under? - Pick another team
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit!

[Wink]

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2004 07:43      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, guys, you're missing the trees for the forest. Directions on that post said to look at the words in bold. Anyone notice anything wrong there? (And no, I did not change anything; I just copied and pasted it from the site.)

No wonder girls get frustrated with you geeks. [Razz] </closes open can of worms>

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 24, 2004 07:46      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean MS *doesn't* have a pubic relations representative? [Eek!]

[Razz]

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 00:28      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Umm, guys, you're missing the trees for the forest. Directions on that post said to look at the words in bold. Anyone notice anything wrong there? (And no, I did not change anything; I just copied and pasted it from the site.)

No wonder girls get frustrated with you geeks. [Razz] </closes open can of worms>

Well, us men are a bunch of problem solvers, what do you expect [Razz]

Next week on "Men and Women are Different" we'll talk about why when a girl is complaining about something, she just wants someone to listen and sympathise, rather than suggest ways of solving her problems [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 05:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Did you read my post?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 06:47      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Did you read my post?

You appear to have misspelled pubic. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 07:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Did you read my post?

You appear to have misspelled pubic. [Big Grin]
Awww....darn it....I'm such a fool. Sorry about the confusion - now my post is just totally wrong :-/.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture