homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » How Do I Start A Website?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Do I Start A Website?
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2015 13:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've come up with a plan for a website like Yelp, but for a very specific purpose. The domain name I want is available. (Well, my first choice was available for $4,228, which I am NOT paying. The second URL I devised is actually better and most likely much cheaper.)

Here's the thing, though: I have no idea how to go about doing this. How do I decide on a webhost? I have no coding skills, so I'd have to hire someone to build the site. Where do I find someone like that? I don't know that I want to put up a paywall, but at some point this site would have to pay for itself.

So many questions!!! Where do I begin?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2015 16:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the app! [Big Grin]

Where to start? [crazy]

Unless you have a ton of startup cash, it sounds like you will need a partner or two, who know a bit about what you actually need and what you don't. Like you probably don't need search engine optimization (SEO) for a while. [Roll Eyes]

That probably didn't help much. [ohwell]

Cool though, I hope you can do it! [Applause]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 23, 2015 08:13      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rohnwyyn!!!!

Hello there... Long time no see - hope you and Bear are going strong...

if you have a particular purpose but little to no skills consider a company like UK2.net (I know they are in the UK... does it matter? If it does I am sure there are US companies that do similar things)

I mention UK2.net particularly because they sponsor the British Tech Network podcasts (Mac Show, Big Show, loads more) and you can get a discount if you use the following offer codes
When you buy anything on UK2, when you get to the checkout, you can use the following offer codes:

BRITISHTECHDNS for free DNS for up to 2 years.
BRITISHTECHDOMAINS for 20% off your domain registration.
BRITISHTECHVPN for 50% of your first month use of a purchased VPN.
BRITISHTECHSERVER for 50 off any gigabit server on any contract length (online deal online).
BRITISHTECHVPS for free first month when purchasing an entry level VPS (or the same amount of 8.95 off the purchase price).

Whether you use them or find a US equivalent isn't particularly important. What's important is the fact that you can get hosting and setup services etc for very low outlay...

Good luck

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2015 12:48      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear and I are still going strong. It'll be an entire decade that we've been married next year. I can't quite believe it's been that long. He's super-supportive of me, but he's understandably not ready to dump our small savings into this website idea of mine.

I'm playing around on Tynker today. Give me a year or two, and maybe I can teach myself to code? I mean, I taught myself to knit, so it can't be too much harder, right? (I kid. I kid!!)

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2015 04:20      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is really really great to hear Rhonwyyn - do take a look at UK2.net pricing though - it is amazingly cheap - I mean it is "how do they do that?" cheap...

Other than that good luck - what sort of coding are you tinkering with [Wink] - see what I did there [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture