homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Lunar Eclipse coming again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lunar Eclipse coming again
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2014 15:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
austriantribune.com

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 08, 2014 16:57      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was up in the middle of the night to take a look, unfortunately the clouds were out. Did see a blobby sliver of light go into full eclipse. Eclipsed Moon was grey behind the cloud cover.

Here's some shots from TheMoMan.. . looks like he had clear skies!

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2014 21:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some breaks in the clouds for the early part of the eclipse, but clouds totally eclipsed the total eclipse. [Frown]
Will post some pics later.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2014 09:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moments before the clouds closed in...
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2014 11:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our CATS got me up at 5:00am I think that in Zulu
that would be 10:00. any I went out every fifteen
minutes to check. The unobstructed photo came
about twenty minutes before any part of the
eclipse. Slight sliver lost, followed by photos
every ten minutes. I planned to go out at maximum
coverage, it was but with clouds, Judy Collins
"Clouds got in my way". So I did not get to see
the selenelion or what ever that is called where
the moon-set and sunrise are both visible.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2014 16:11      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was ready, but it was raining [Frown]

Conveniently, the clouds broke shortly after the eclipse.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2014 22:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just not a morning person. Maybe there wasn't anything really special about it, but I can say the moon was really awesome to behold yesterday evening on my way home from work. If these sort of things were to happen late at night, I'd be totally cool with staying up for it. Getting up early...it'd probably have to be something stupendous that wouldn't happen for another 200 years. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted October 10, 2014 15:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Druid, your Moon is eclipsing the wrong way! [crazy]

(actually, I prefer the look of the Moon from the Southern Hemisphere) [Cool]

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 20:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thread Jack----- ToNight there is supposed to be a solar eclipse, I can tell it is happening on the other side of the clouds, because of the dimming soon sundown will occur and this years chances will have passed.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 23, 2014 21:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Twas cloudy here... until about an hour AFTER the partial eclipse. [Roll Eyes]

Hey MoMan, as I'm sure you know, a big solar eclipse is coming in 2017! Don't settle for a partial view, total is a must-see! Plan on traveling to see it.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/eclipse2017_main.htm

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 22:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, during High School 1960-64 my parents lived in the path of of a TOTAL, it got really dark during the afternoon. My friends and my self had built viewing boxes Pin Hole shades and had some number twenty welding glass. I will never forget that day.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 23:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...sounds like an excuse to visit Portland, OR and take a day(night!) trip to the path of it. I don't have Google Inbox with its little string thing...be sure to 'blog' about it closer to the day, mmkay? [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 13:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, were you in the full totality? As in, could you look at the corona directly, naked eye?

That is the ticket. [crazy]

I saw the Mexico one in 1991... indescribably beautiful. The corona shimmered like it was alive with electric particles.

-

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 16:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy back then the opinion was that you could take off the viewing box but DO NOT LOOK UP. Now they revise the rules?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 25, 2014 04:39      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you were in a partial eclipse zone, they don't want you staring at the Sun, even a little piece of it.

If you're in totality, in the small zone of full shadow, you are crazy not to. [Big Grin]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture