homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Do you Jailbreak?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you Jailbreak?
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 02, 2014 18:42      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I'd ask this here as it seems like the right crowd...

Putting aside the risk to your device (Bricked, Voided Warranty), and assuming that there isn't a knowledge barrier (You're probably competent and able to jailbreak / root your device if you wanted to and do so in a way that leaves it usable when you are done)...

Do you Jailbreak?

Obviously, it's a statement of "l33t" folks everywhere to take control of the hardware you have purchased (or are virtually "leasing" from a carrier) -- Put some cool backgrounds on and do a few things that maybe you wouldn't be able to otherwise...

But I've noticed a theme of Privacy and Security consciousness on this site, and working in the mobile security field is impossible for me to ignore the hard truth... Jailbreaks are clumsy and AWFUL security (at least all that I've seen, curious if you've seen different) -- And give ROOT access to all applications on the device all the time... Basically:

ANY application on your device can capture your keys, screenshots, and access data -- without your permission or knowledge. [ohwell]

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 02, 2014 19:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did once a few years ago just to try it out, but didn't last long. I get everything I need with Official Apple iOs
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2014 22:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have rooted my phone (Android, not Apple), but I have also installed an app/binary pair that intercepts requests for root privileges and won't allow them to be granted without the user's permission.

Without the additional security layer, rooting the device does leave huge security gaps. With the additional security, it's fine.

I assume there's got to be something similar for Apple devices that have been rooted.

To be honest, though, I wouldn't have rooted the phone at all if there had been a built in solution to my two main problems with it:
1) No way to remove vender-installed crapware
2) No easy way to back up data from apps

Being able to install busybox, adfree , wireless tether and tasker were just bonuses that became available because my carrier, despite being pretty good on pricing and coverage, is pretty douchy when it comes to wanting control of the phone.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2014 23:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two Android phones both out of contract, and not in service. I have connected them to my WiFi Network to put in Apps that I wanted to use for Amateur Radio. One of them runs the apps fine the other will not find one of the resources. I have been tempted to upgrade the OS in that one because the default file tool is (POOP).

The other thought is to buy a tablet with the newer OS and not worry about using a cellular network, as I use the thing. Last week I got a slight nudge in that direction as the processor cooling fan on my laptop failed. This old Compaq now has a tumor on the back where I mounted a bigger fan.

So I am in a quandary Apple, Wintel, Android or my preference Puppy, or Ubuntu. Most of the netbooks do not have enough USB ports. for all of my devise dongles, and I can see on the horizon that a Software Defined Radio RX/TX unit may happen probably needing its own CPU.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2014 01:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't jailbroken any phones, and these days, security is a very good reason not to. I had been tempted to do it to a lousy Android phone I had years ago w/Sprint as they wouldn't let you get 4.0 and I was running some pitifully old vendor provided release. My next phone was current enough that it wasn't an issue.

Now I have well...not-an-Android for work, and see no reason whatsoever to jailbreak it. Even if I wanted to, I have to run an MDM app that specifically forbids jailbreaking, and I should imagine it might tattle if I did. [Razz] Besides, it feels like there's nothing I can't do with this phone...except go a day without charging it. [Wink]

My personal phone, OTOH...I'm not sure if it even could be jailbroken - it's not a smartphone, and it's so wonderful that I have no desire to change its functionality. I have it solely to make & receive calls, as well as for text messages...and it can actually do these things over the course of a week in between charging. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2014 14:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm BACK with a question, I only want the Android OS, Open APRS, and the maps from Open Street Maps on my devise, is this do able?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2014 22:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By Android OS - you mean the base install with phone functionality, right?

Check before you buy, but it's not that difficult to get an Android phone without too much vendor stuff slapped on. My Sprint Android came with some drivel on it, but my AT&T Android was oh...wait. Actually, I think the latter was worse. I know I've seen reasonably clean Androids out there. Still, the vendor stuff can always get moved to another page/screen. (Hell, I always make an "OEM" folder on iOS devices that I control to stow stuff I never use - iTunes & Maps, for instance. [Big Grin] )

As for a good use of jailbraking, I tip my hat to a buddy who jailbroke his old phone to kill all phone functionality so he could make it into a movie player / game console for his toddler. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2014 23:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman

I do not plan on using the phone features, only the GPS and One APi APRSdroid and the Open Street Maps. The phone or Tablet will be connected to my VHF rig for Storm Chasing, My phone will tell Net Control where I am and he will be sending weather maps back. So really a net book with GPS and no POOP programs would be Ideal.

My Samsung Transform works but it keeps losing the map file, the ZTE works excellent but keeps shutting off APRSdroid, and going to Google Market (ERROR) NO NETWORK. TURN OFF AIRPLANE MODE.

One of us uses a iPhone and he uses the phone network however he does not go out into the Huron Nat Forest.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture