homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Converting from XP to Windows 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Converting from XP to Windows 8
Jean/VA
Newbie Larva
Member # 50357

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 02, 2013 03:47      Profile for Jean/VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure some of you have converted and I'd love to hear your opinion of the experience.

I am NOT looking forward to the conversion. I do spend some time on Facebook. The only games I play are Luminosity ones. I search the web and read. I write and post to the web. (Primarily Live Journal these days.)

At any rate, it's as if XP was made for me. My feelings about Windows 8 are not so good - made for teens who socialize and play games all day.

Please tell me I'm wrong and that Windows 8 will come to be my best friend.

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2013 07:09      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are you planning on converting? If XP works for you, then I'd personally stick with it - most companies I'm aware of are still using XP, and I'm still running XP for my virtual machine as I see no need to upgrade.

On the other hand, if you need to upgrade to run a particular bit of software, then I guess you have no choice. I'm told the experience is a bit of a bitch from XP, but you may get lucky...

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2013 09:39      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would strongly suggest trying Windows 8 before buying. Some people find that they really hate it and that's not something you want to find out after you've bought the OS and upgraded.

You may also want to consider Windows 7. It's much more similar to XP. From what I've seen, most corporations are moving from XP to Windows 7 and rejecting Windows 8 so it's likely that Windows 7 will stick around for a long time.

Finally, regardless of whether you go to Windows 7 or 8, you can use third party utilities like Classic Shell to reconfigure the UI to resemble Windows XP.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2013 11:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why the hell would you do that? Windows 8 is HORRIBLE.

Personally, I'm quite used to Windows XP and it gets the job done for me at work. I'm alright with Windows 7 and we'll be upgrading to that in a few months, I think. (Like most organizations, we never even considered Vista.)

One time with Windows 8 was enough for me - and I've had to hear perennial carping from colleagues of mine who went out and bought new computers and are stuck with it. Someone tried to downgrade (*ahem* upgrade) to Windows 7 and thoroughly blew up the computer due to EFI bootloader nonsense - while this isn't exactly my field, I ended up figuring out how to restore it, and that was no fun at all. (I will grudgingly admit that some of the new WIM stuff is impressive...but the 'auto recovery' feature definitely doesn't work unless you have a garden variety crash.)

I get the impression that Windows 8.1 won't be much better, save for the fact that you can now 'Boot to desktop,' instead of the stupid 'start screen.' However, it seems that said screen is what appears when you hit the newly restored 'Start button,' which seems entirely pointless. (That only solves the issue of people too stubborn to use the Start key after it's only existed for ~18 years or so.) A real menu that doesn't take you away from what you're doing is quite useful.

Save yourself, don't make this change unless you really know what you're getting into. Hell, if you're going to go to 8 - you probably should get a computer with it installed...and probably a touch screen one at that.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jean/VA
Newbie Larva
Member # 50357

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2013 17:30      Profile for Jean/VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like everyone else has the same glowing picture of W-8 that I do. ;-((

Believe me, I *WILL* stick with XP for as long as I possibly can.

Hopefully the virus makers will leave it alone for at least a few months after Microsoft drops support.

I have MS - and the idea of having to touch the screen to do something is daunting, to say the least.

And I can't imagine life without a Start button. ;-) (With such easy access to all the functions behind it!)

Thank you, everyone, for the informative replies!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture