homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » iPad man-bag

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iPad man-bag
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2013 05:33      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So in August I start my first real proper long-term job (exams permitting) just as I'm about to hit my thirties. Can't be a student forever, I guess.

I therefore need a man-bag capable of carrying paperwork, a little box of misc bits and bobs, and my iPad. Oh, and some coffee. Any recommendations on geeky bags designed with that in mind?

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2013 05:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is also a culture thing, In some areas a Back Pack is Okay. In others an Aluminium Briefcase. Some areas a dodgy style leather or packet mail (think pony express) type bag. Our Grand Daughter has a Back Pack with wheels and a pull up handle.

I think you are going to have an observation trip to your new employer.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2013 12:32      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a leatehr man purse from Jost years ago. What I liked about the bag was that it was real leather outside, no care needed, and inside was a water proof vinal that washes really well. Makes keeping the bag nice a cinch Sometimes I even use it to bring my lunch. and of course it has a phone pocket and differnt things for different stuff.

well look at that they still have a similar line of bags ( thier rough leather line requires no care!)

man purses

The only ting that looks different is that they seem to have replaces the magnetic snap closure that I love with anouther less good type of closure.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2013 13:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh...I like the pockets inside.

I need to replace my everyday bag (i.e. carries tech & papers) at some point. Basically - this, but in black - it gets the job done and doesn't use velcro or giant clips/snaps. Most of the bags I've seen on the few occasions that I've looked are 'messenger' style and all have huge velcro bits on them. (If not for the color, I'm partial to this bag, which looks decent and is a fair sight cheaper than other things I've seen and like less.) My other core requirement is that it not look like a laptop bag. Besides the fact that I don't frequently carry a laptop with me, I think such bags scream 'I have valuables inside - mug me!' When I do carry a laptop, I simply put a laptop sleeve inside my bag.

As for backpacks - I'm not partial to them, but I know a lot of consultants and sales folk who use them. The key advantage as I see it is the distribution of weight and the ease of using the very same bag for travel. Given that I'm not a traveling salesman, I don't care much for carrying such a thing on a daily basis. That, and for better or worse, I just associate the daily use of such a thing with 'elhi' and don't care to revisit those days. Still, /lots/ of professionals use them around these parts, so I'd say it wouldn't seem much out of place to me. I agree with MoMan that you'd probably want to know what the norm is for the new place if you care about fitting in. (That's kind of boring, though, innit? [Wink] )

Carrying coffee? That's what your hand is for. Don't even try to put that in a bag, no good can come of it. I have a Nalgene that pops open at the most inopportune times, occasionally soaking my bag's outer pocket (thankfully only with water). Coffee would not go much better. A side mesh pocket would work better, but you'd have to have a /really/ good mug to not risk some spillage. Odds are the tradeoff with such a mug is that it'll be hard to open when you want to drink from it. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2013 15:57      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka: Those bags look perfect. I'll be on my feet pretty much all day, but indoors, and that would keep everything organised and not take up too much space. Now to seek about sourcing one in the UK (edit: found)...

Carrying proper coffee around might well be a recipe for disaster. Although taking an Aeropress would be a nice compromise, it would probably be a bit bulky - I'm thinking maybe a travel mug and some pseudo-coffee instant stuff (eg Millicano) may have to suffice.

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture