homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Looking for manual or advanced undelete utility.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for manual or advanced undelete utility.
Michael Edwards
Mini Geek
Member # 747

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 08:55      Profile for Michael Edwards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hallo.

I have posted here before, but it hasn't been for a while, so I doubt many, if any, members will have the faintest memory of me - probably been 10 years or so - resulting from seeming to gradually drift away from computing as an adventurous and exciting thing to being merely a functional, and sometimes problem-ridden, thing.

I was just wondering if anyone could please point me to a good utility for recovering deleted files from flash drives, memory sticks, etc. The operating system is Windows XP, although these drives have also been used on a Macintosh - I don't know if that makes any difference. (I used to think data or media between different operating systems were not interchangeable - but that doesn't appear to be true.)
     I guess it would be nice if the utility were free, but I will be happy to pay for a program if it is right - so, if anyone knows a good utility that costs money, please don't be deterred from suggesting it to me.
     I Googled for these, and came up with any number of utilities. I downloaded several and tried them, but they appear to be only simple utilities that automatically undelete a file, but if the data recovered are wrong (as was the case for me), there are no other options. What I need is a more advanced utility that enables me, piece by piece, to examine and choose the disk data to put into the recovered file, like the old Norton Utilities used to allow. I am guessing that very few of the utilities that come up in a search such as I did will be advanced enough to permit this.
     I have recovered files in this manner in the past, and have even unscrambled errors in F.A.T. tables, so I am experienced in this, and believe I will be able to recover accidentally deleted files if I can get the right utility. (I stopped using the drive after the accidental deletion, so I think the chances are slim that the data have been overwritten.)

If anyone can point me the right way, I would be very grateful.
     Thank you.

Regards, Michael Edwards.

Posts: 70 | From: Healesville, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 09:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Edwards I have used Puppy to open devises, and then move all of the files I can see to a different devise then try to work un-delete programs on what is left. this some times works but then nothing works every time.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5475 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michael Edwards
Mini Geek
Member # 747

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 07:14      Profile for Michael Edwards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Michael Edwards I have used Puppy to open devises, and then move all of the files I can see to a different devise then try to work un-delete programs on what is left. this some times works but then nothing works every time.

Hallo. Thanks for the suggestion. But I'm not sure if I can find that. The closest I can find is something called Puppy Linux - and that would be an operating system, wouldn't it? Does it contain all the file-recovery features I mentioned before that I needed? (That's very important, because I've already verified that the quick, automatic recovery most utilities offer these days does not do it properly.) And would it be usable on a drive that has been used only Windows and Macintosh computers?
     Thanks.

Regards, Michael.

P.S.:
     This forum seems far less active now than when I was here years ago. Has anything happened?

Posts: 70 | From: Healesville, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 09:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Edwards, Yes Puppy is a Linux distribution.

Download the ISO file and burn yourself a boot able "Live CD". Put the live CD in the optical drive and restart, if your computer is windows it should start with Puppy. In the lower left corner your drives should appear, you can now open (Mount) your drive and poke around in the files.

You could also down load and burn the "Ultimate Boot CD" ISO, again Linux and in that ISO are some file utilities.

--------------------

Posts: 5475 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michael Edwards
Mini Geek
Member # 747

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2013 04:04      Profile for Michael Edwards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay - thanks for that.
     Will it suffice, though, if I put it on a flash drive? I don't have any means for actually making a C.D. of it.
     Thanks.

Regards, Michael.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2013 05:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael, that would work, IF your computer can boot from the USB ports.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.