homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Secure Boot, Windows 8, OEMs...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Secure Boot, Windows 8, OEMs...
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2012 09:04      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK -- with the arrival of Shmindows 8 machines in yonder shops these days, my mind is all a'worry, namely, can we trust OEMs to honour the requirement for x86 gear to have Secure Boot disable/enable togglement? Microsoft have mandated that in order to have the great privilege (*ahem*) of putting a Windows 8 sticker on yer laptop, an OEM has to allow the disabling of Secure Boot -- but are Redmond really going to enforce this? Are we not 100% sure that they are secretly, clandestinely hinting to OEMs that there's more reward for them if they look the other way when manufacturing "forgets" to install that particular feature? Basically, do I need to go out now and get a Windows 7 laptop while I still can, just so I have something I know I can install lovely Linux on?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6514 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2012 11:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me thinks that the OEMs may specify to the BIOs makers that they want that. However Dell at one time was selling machines with Ubuntu pre-installed.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5342 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2012 19:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spungo I have some not encouraging news for you. I tried to boot the Mrs'. new laptop with a Puppy ISO, two tries it went straight to WinBlows. I then entered setup and changed the boot order, and it still booted into WinBlows. So where is this togglement?

--------------------

Posts: 5342 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2012 09:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're supposed to have the ability to disable "Secure Boot" which lies inside your system-formerly-known-as-BIOS. You shouldn't be able to boot off a CD until then. The question is: does your computer allow disabling of Secure Boot -- which it is supposed to (and which, if you read the Microsoft blurb, says that it HAS to in order to meet Windows 8 requirements!)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6514 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2012 11:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spungo, I am unsure of other OEMs. The Mrs keeps a sharp eye on me as I approach her new HP Laptop, however once she gets it infected then I will have FIX-IT.

It should not be long she clicks on everything.

--------------------

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2012 14:35      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a mac [Wink]
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2012 15:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She made the choice not me I use Ubuntu/ Puppy

Dec 10/2012 I tried to set the bios to CD/Rom as first device, save and exit, it booted into Winblows Seven, Brand new machine with a coupon for a free upgrade to Eight.

I have noticed that the latest Ubuntu is not as good as older versions. I also prefer some of the older Puppy Versions.

Different note a Japanese Collage has a Ham radio Sat. that is set up to have a visual show.

FITSAT 1 -NORAD 38853 - 3 It should be a good show IF the CLOUDS cooperate.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2012 09:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12/12/12 update I did get the BIOS changed and booted into Puppy 5.4 However I did not set a screen resolution during boot FB=1280x1024 so the image was not nice and clean.

This was on a HP laptop bought this October 2012.

YMMV

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted December 20, 2012 09:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dec 20, 2012 update

What I have found is, some computers need to have a Windows partition to turn on/off the built in WiFi. Turning on Wifi in the BIOs does not not mean that it will be on once a Linux is running. Depends on the BIOs chip and if it looks for things in the MBR Master Boot Record. I have a Computer that has a Windows Partition just for the ability to use the built in WiFi.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

ę 2014 Geek Culture« All Rights Reserved.