homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Are soem people bad for computers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are soem people bad for computers
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2012 09:11      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I have this one guy who I swear has a touch b that makes computers crash. He keeps causing Photoshop CS 5 to Crash on his iMac. I try doing teh same kind fo thing he's doing and no problem. but he moves to anew machine and crashes it as well. And when he does on my Mac at work he does the same thing.

So I dont normally look over his shoulder but when I do things almost never go wrong.

So what should I be watching for that may explain whats happening. Could he be hitting key commands that are messing things up? He is Clumsy with commands and how he uses his wacom. He ends up switching programs by mistake.

Any help would be nice. The iMac is like 4GB of ram and I forget the processor speed but it is fast enough.

He is crashing it every few minutes.

--------------------
~Blade

Posts: 89 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2012 13:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people and technology do not mix well.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2012 16:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get him to change his shoes.

I had this one pair of shoes, that build up a wicked static electric charge...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2012 17:02      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Failing shoes and clothing change, get him a piece of quartz to have around the desk in front of the machine... it works in some cases, the problem mysteriously vanishes....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2012 07:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thought came to me yesterday while out on the tractor, where does this person put their CELL PHONE? I have to leave my cell phone in the house when I go play radio in the barn, The cell phone interferes with my VFO and with my receiver.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2012 10:13      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he places it normally on the left of his keyboard. It's an android. iphone wnatabe

--------------------
~Blade

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2012 17:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when The Hill Top was on Dial-up I knew when the Mrs was getting a phone call, as the modem or router would start clicking just before the ringer on her cell phone would start ringing.

A cell phone is a RF producer, and computers are susceptible to RF fields. Have this person put the cell phone farther away from the computer.

My Cell phone does not play nice with my radios.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2012 17:39      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how far does he have to move it away?

--------------------
~Blade

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2012 18:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
So how far does he have to move it away?

If it's causing a problem from more than a metre away, there's something wrong with the phone, or the computer.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2012 19:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny thing with cell phones - at least a while ago, if you picked up a lot of interference on speakers when a call came in, this was due to some clever signal it sent out to make devices/gizmos light up. I believe this was meant for hard-of-hearing folks and/or people who work in loud environments. Additionally, some phones are/were careless with the frequencies they use, and sent out a 'dirty' signal. My old Nextel would really wreak havoc on PC speakers at times, even when I wasn't on the phone.

P.S. I'm not entirely certain this is the device I was thinking of, but it's the result of 15 sec. worth of Google searching:
http://microvideox.com/cell-phone-ring-indicator.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddrCZZvoQA

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2012 20:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Far enough so that it no longer interferes. YMMV.
One meter, two meters, next room what ever it takes. Does your building have a repeater/amplifier so that cell phones work better inside?

FCC part fifteen rules, your cell phone and your computer must both accept interference that may cause unintended actions,

Usually the FCC considers Computers as incidental radiators, however with WiFi and/or BlueTooth. Could the two devices be in a battle for spectrum? If so then fifty meters might not be enough.

In my case I could report myself for interfering with my radios and get a letter from the FCC telling me to stop interfering with myself, I would rather fly under the radar.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture