homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » ASUS Eee Pad?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ASUS Eee Pad?
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2012 16:20      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, only learned today that ASUS makes an Eee Pad Transformer. 10.1", designed to go with a docking station with a keyboard. I'm wondering if any of you have seen it/used it/know more about it and whether I should consider it in my search for a functional, affordable table.

Here's the link that introduced me to the device: eBay

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2012 21:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect the most important question is: Is it any good?

Also, is it actually useful?

I find that the 'traditional iPad' form factor is bulky and not very useful to me outside of couch-surfing. Otherwise, I have a real laptop, and an iPod Touch, both of which are infinitely more practical to me. I'm much more interested in the much-talked-about iPad Mini - if that comes to fruition, and weighs less than a pounds, fits in some kind of pocket, and doesn't cost a fortune, I might be interested. Alternatively, I'd be quite interested in a refresh of the iPod Touch, as I have a 1st gen, and certainly wouldn't mind something that was on par with the iPhone 4S (or the fabled iPhone 5).

Food for thought: With a docking station and keyboard, portability and economy goes out the window (I bet that runs to over $100 extra), and it basically becomes an underpowered netbook...that almost looks like a laptop. Most people have eschewed netbooks as they are woefully underpowered that pretend to simply be smaller than 'full fledged laptops.' Sometimes it makes sense to just buy something good once instead of something cheap many times.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2012 21:17      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want it for its laptop-like features, you'll probably be far happier with a reasonably priced netbook, but as dragonman97 points out, they tend to be a bit underpowered for general use. I have to admit that the Transformer Prime looks wicked cool, but that'll run ~$400 *without* the keyboard accessory.

I recently acquired a Google Nexus 7 and I love it. It's smaller than a Transformer, but it's running Jelly Bean, starts at $199, and that's brand new pricing, not a refurbished older-generation eBay gamble.

Keep an eye out for the upcoming Kindle Fire 2 as well.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2012 07:54      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:

I recently acquired a Google Nexus 7 and I love it.

I wholeheartedly agree with Spidey. I'm a little ashamed to say that I've barely touched my iPad since I got the Nexus 7 (but don't take my Apple fanboy card away just yet).

quote:

Keep an eye out for the upcoming Kindle Fire 2 as well.

<insert riotous laughter here>

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2012 20:30      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angryjungman:
I'm a little ashamed to say that I've barely touched my iPad since I got the Nexus 7.

So you'd want to sell it to me cheap? [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture