homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Best Method to save audio??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Method to save audio??
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2012 05:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am close to being an audiophile, if it does not sound live, I do not want to hear or listen. I still feel that tubes are better than solid state.

I have a large collection of LP s that I am starting to worry about their age.

Now the question, what mode to best save all of my music, LP s, Tapes, (reel to reel) and a few CD s.

I would like all of the music in one place and if possible in one format. I want to save as much of the analog signal as possible. I have heard some methods convert most of the audio, not throw it out as not needed.

So I am taking suggestions on players and modes?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2012 18:39      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a bit about this, but I am far away from audophilia. 5-10 years ago I could have given a definitive answer; now, not so much. As far as I am concerned, the quality of the tune is far more important to my enjoyment than the quality of the recording.

The most important questions are how much money are you willing to spend, how much do you care, and where/how do you want to listen to it? Do you have a single awesome hi-fi with glorious speakers that your tunes will always be pumped through, or are you trying to make the music available in the kitchen, car and everywhere else?

I've done a bit of research, and realised that audio technology has moved on from when I knew stuff. You can get DAT recorders off ebay that 10 years ago would cost you the same as a kidney for cheap. The quality will not change, and tapes will probably be available for a few years.

Otherwise, it's going to be a hard drive recorder, and other factors come into play, and I don't know about them.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2012 19:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, you should be prepared to buy a studio quality audio interface as well, since your average sound card is pretty crappy when it comes to recording. It won't be cheap and it'll require some research to find a good one that will work with whatever setup you have. Be prepared to be disappointed by the lack of support for anything other than Windows and Mac.

FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's Audio, ALAC, WAV... these are all lossless (or potentially lossless) recording formats, which is what you're describing. Be prepared to buy a lot of hard drives since songs will compress at most by around 50% and will take up about 5MB of drive space per minute (and you'll want backups, so double that hard drive purchase). If you choose one of the non-compressed formats, be prepared to double that hard drive purchase since you'll be looking at 10MB/minute.

You should also be aware that very few portable players support these formats. ALAC is Apple's lossless format and is supported by iPods. RockBox (a firmware replacement that can be installed on a wide variety of players) supports FLAC. I would go with one of those two if you want to play the music anywhere other than on your PC.

Lossless WAV is also supported by iPod, Rockbox and most MP3 players, but it's uncompressed so songs are around twice the size of ALAC and FLAC.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2012 21:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
Be prepared to buy a lot of hard drives since songs will compress at most by around 50% and will take up about 5MB of drive space per minute (and you'll want backups, so double that hard drive purchase).

'A lot of hard drives'?

At the encoding rate you quote (which sounds about right) a 2TB drive can hold 9 months of continuous listening - I doubt the MoMan has that many LPs. More realistically, he can probably fit several encodings (to suit various players) of all his music on the one drive.

A 2TB external drive costs about $100, which works out to less than 1 cent per hour of music, so yeah, buy 2 and keep backups. Actually, for a ripping exercise of that magnitude, I'd buy 3 and keep an offsite backup somewhere, but I'm paranoid about backups.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2012 05:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay thanks to you two gentlemen. I have also been made aware that the LP s and Tapes will have to be played one more time each to put them into memory.

On the CD s is there a way to read the CD and convert, not having to listen to it also while/during saving?

Figuring that each LP has about forty minutes of audio, and some of the reel to reels go several hours this could become a huge project.

I am figuring that this project will consume about an hour for each hour of final listening, wow talk about high overhead.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2012 09:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
On the CD s is there a way to read the CD and convert, not having to listen to it also while/during saving?

Yes, on reasonably recent hardware (anything made this century) you should be able to rip a CD in about 5 minutes.

Your LPs and tapes, well, not much can be done to speed that up, but you don't need to be there while it's happening. Start a tape playing, then go mow the cows (or whatever you farm-types do with your time) and come back in a couple of hours.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2012 16:43      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid wrote:
At the encoding rate you quote (which sounds about right) a 2TB drive can hold 9 months of continuous listening - I doubt the MoMan has that many LPs.

It's a perspective thing. TheMoMan said a large collection. To me, a large collection of albums is at least a few thousand albums.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2012 19:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
It's a perspective thing. TheMoMan said a large collection. To me, a large collection of albums is at least a few thousand albums.

And 8,500 45 minute LPs will fit on a 2TB drive.

If he treated the LP ripping process as a 'full time job' (8 hours per day, 5 days per week, 50 weeks a year) it would take 3 years to fill the first drive, but by then 5TB drives will cost about $50, so the second drive he buys will hold 22,000 LPs, and take 9 years to fill.
Still not 'a lot of hard drives'

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2012 21:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back during my Campus radio days both radio stations at MTU had huge LP collections, I have maybe 150 LP s and about twenty hours of tape.

I just got back from the Field Day event in Midland Mi. I think I overexposed myself to the sun and heat. Came home with sore eyes, headache and tremendous thirt even though I downed about three litters of Gatoraid.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2012 01:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people who say 'large collection' probably mean around about the size of MoMan's collection, at least as I see it.

Most people are /not/ Rich Russo:
http://richrusso.net/about/

[Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2012 18:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fucking lay off the nitpicking. I provided useful information. If you don't agree with one goddamn irrelevant statement, consider how pedantic and annoying you're being before you post.

This shit is why I rarely bother posting here anymore and I'm sure as hell not going to bother responding in this topic again.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2012 20:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not open this thread to start a whizzing, or Poop tossing contest. Thank you all whom replied.

So with Ubuntu I am having fits getting a ripping program that will convert the CDs to MP3s. I have spent too much time inside on these beautiful days fighting with installers.

Yesterday the Fertilizer truck that is steered by the GPS and controls the spray nozzles was here that is cool the driver only is in the cab, in case of malfunction. During the last long axis pass the end nozzles on the arms were shut off to prevent over application. Because of overlap.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2012 12:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Folks I got up this morning downloaded K3b and all of its plug-ins and have started putting music in my external HD. It still takes some amount of time for each CD about half of the play time.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2012 10:42      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The faster your Drive, and computer, the faster that process goes. But if you are going with FLAC or another lossless format, then it does still take a while.

I am not a complete audiophile, so I am ok with MP3s. However I have always used the highest rate possible.

In any case, good luck on the audio ripping and hopefully you can stay sane through it all.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture