homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » A few questions for our resident Mac repairman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A few questions for our resident Mac repairman
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2012 12:00      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my iMac had an internal hard drive crash last night. I tried repairing permissions without success. I also tried wiping and reinstalling snow leopard and it also resulted in failure. I am fairly certain I need to replace the hard drive to fix this thing. Do you know of a good guide I can look at online? Also what drive would you recommend I replace it with? I am not a novice when it comes to repairing computers but this is the first time I need to take an iMac apart so any thing you can tell me will be appreciated. It's a duo core 7,1 iMac if that will help you. The drive in it is a 1TB. Can it handle a 2TB?

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2012 14:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iFixit have some awesome guides! I aloway use them when installing new drives.

http://www.ifixit.com/

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 03, 2012 20:37      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Success!!! [Big Grin]

I looked at your site and I found a you tube video. It was involved but since I was prepared for what to expect it wasn't all that bad. Snow Leopard is loaded and now I can go to my time machine backup and pick what I want to put back on it.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2012 01:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suggestion for the future: Use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to dupe your HD to an external drive. Should your whole system ever go haywire (or AWOL) in the future, it'll be trivial to restore the contents to your [new] HD. Furthermore, SuperDuper makes said external drive bootable (at least for FW - I haven't tried USB), and this is absurdly fantastic - it's almost like Knoppix, but it's actually your production system, just loaded from /elsewhere/.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2012 02:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A huge second for Dmans suggestion.

With external hard disks now costing around $50 per terabyte, there's no excuse for not having backups, and backups of your backups, and a bootable backup makes things SO much easier.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture