homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Connecting a laptop to these newfangled fancy-dancy TVs (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Connecting a laptop to these newfangled fancy-dancy TVs
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2011 15:49      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is there a way to convert mini-DVI to HDMI
Yes

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2011 20:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ronny, I am not upset or angry with you, just certain people that cherry pick a response to try to prove me wrong. The info at AOC was not really helpful. However the Sony link is a visual and easier for people left out of the loop.(those that only replace when necessary not just to have the latest and greatest).

____It can be done, hopefully with out too many returns to the store. It may cost more but sometimes the high-end AV Home theater stores have or know just what you need. It also may help to take a photo of the posts on each device, print those out and take the photo with you.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2011 23:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I wrote:
That's one of 26 different models that they sell and different ones have different ports.

All the manuals can be found here (not that it's particularly helpful without a model number to go by): http://us.aoc.com/support/downloads

You linked to one random manual that you yourself said didn't contain any useful information.

I pointed out that the manufacturer makes 26 models and provided the link to where all the manuals can be found because the right manual is more useful than random ones for models that may have absolutely no similarity to hers.

Telling the truth and providing useful information isn't the same as cherry picking your post, nor is it an attack on you.

Get some self esteem and get over whatever the hell butthurt feelings you have about someone expanding on your answer.

-

And now you know what an attack on your post looks like. Remember it for the future and try not to get confused again.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2011 11:47      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch, Steen. You are grumpy today! [weep]

With a second recommendation for Monoprice.com, I'm now convinced that I will call them and ask the remainder of my questions (such as, which cable do I use for an audio connection to my TV if I go the HDMI route?). I'm afraid I get easily overwhelmed by alphabet soup, and it's their job to walk me through it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2011 12:04      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez Grumpster, since you’ve added that "Grumpy" on to the front of your name, you do seem feel duty bound to spread a little crabbiness wherever you go.

Hope it makes you feel better

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2011 12:30      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calli -

I must admit that I understood where Grumpysteen was coming from and, therefore, I didn't feel that what he said was unwarranted.

The above notwithstanding, your response made me laugh my tits off. I can now add Binnie Hale to my own personal list of Reasons to be cheerful

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2011 05:25      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonny, just one word of caution about the mini-DVI to HDMI route -- since HDMI is designed to carry both audio and video your TV might not have an option for separate audio input when you are using the HDMI source. Not a problem if you'll run the audio through your stereo or something, but I wanted to point it out...

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2011 15:29      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
Rhonny, just one word of caution about the mini-DVI to HDMI route -- since HDMI is designed to carry both audio and video your TV might not have an option for separate audio input when you are using the HDMI source. Not a problem if you'll run the audio through your stereo or something, but I wanted to point it out...

Oh. Huh. So the mini-DVI to HDMI would actually need to be a "mini-DVI+audio" to HDMI cable. Good thing you pointed that out. Thanks! (And no stereo in this apartment, I'm afraid. Only two boom boxes. Anyone remember those?)

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2011 20:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Oh. Huh. So the mini-DVI to HDMI would actually need to be a "mini-DVI+audio" to HDMI cable. Good thing you pointed that out. Thanks!

AFAIK there aint no such thing, you'd need 2 cables, mini-DVI -> HDMI, and a seconds audio -> audio cable, at least that's how I had my Mac Mini set up when it was connected to the TV.

The point Ugh was making is that some TVs might not be smart enough to take their audio from the 'Audio' input when there's a HDMI cable connected, as they might assume the HDMI is carrying both.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2011 20:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ No quarter was asked, non was expected.

____ Anger: Interesting word, but nowhere have I found that it says running home crying.

____ Angry: Another interesting word describing an intense emotion, again nowhere describing running home crying.

____ Hatred: Intense emotion, some times caused by Anger but not always it takes quite a bit of energy to hate, you are not worth the effort.

____ Retribution: Again you are not worth the effort.

____ No, you are more like a swarm a gnats busing about making a bunch of noise. So when you stop trying to Channel "He who must not be spoken about" and stop talking out of your sitter-downer, I may reply.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 09, 2011 01:07      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oooohh!! Thanks for explaining that, TFD. I'm not inclined to try that method b/c i'd have to run two cables across the living room instead of just one in MMKK's method. But now i know a better reason. Thank you!

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2011 07:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JUST TRY STUFF!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2011 05:44      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
JUST TRY STUFF!

That's a rather expensive proposition there. [Razz]

--------------------

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2011 01:28      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
oooohh!! Thanks for explaining that, TFD. I'm not inclined to try that method b/c i'd have to run two cables across the living room instead of just one in MMKK's method. But now i know a better reason. Thank you!

You'll need two cables either way, whether it's VGA + audio or HDMI + audio. The only difference is, the former is guaranteed to work while the latter might or might not work, depending on whether your TV is smart enough to get the audio signal from audio in when you're using the HDMI input.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2011 04:16      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but Rhonwynn is referring to the cables I linked her to, which have VGA and TRS audio in one cable (with two connectors per end).

Rhonny: check your owner's manual and make sure you have a VGA port on the TV, the manual will tell you if you do or not. If you have a VGA port then just buy the stuff I linked to, it'll make it all work just fine. If you don't have a VGA port, then you'll need to look into an HDMI solution.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2011 05:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
JUST TRY STUFF!

That's a rather expensive proposition there. [Razz]
Can't you just return the stuff that doesn't work?

Anyway, a VGA port:

-

And a HDMI port:
 -

Go take a look at your TV. You might even have both, in which case, go with MMKK's VGA option as it has less uncertainty.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 11:23      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That's taking it down to the really basic level, Xanthine. Thanks. I guess I needed that.

I took a look at the TV. Four HDMI ports, one VGA with its partner audio, and several component ports. Here's another stupid question: HDMI is used to connect hi-def video players (like Blu-Ray and DVD)? Does anyone actually ever use all those ports?

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 11:40      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ronny, We have a Sony HD. Connected to the panel, are DirecTV, an old VHS, A Blue Ray Player and the leads from our HD MiniCam. On occasion I connect a Laptop to play games.

____ During weather events Rain Fade will take out the DirecTV reception at that time I use the TV's internal tuner to get a local station that broadcasts 24/7 Weather Radar.

____ When the Mrs and I go SkyWarn spotting I have an Inverter to power the Laptop and BroadBand2Go MiFI The Two Meter radio gets its power right from the truck battery.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 14:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wow. That's taking it down to the really basic level, Xanthine. Thanks. I guess I needed that.

I took a look at the TV. Four HDMI ports, one VGA with its partner audio, and several component ports. Here's another stupid question: HDMI is used to connect hi-def video players (like Blu-Ray and DVD)? Does anyone actually ever use all those ports?

Probably. Some people have some pretty crazy home theater systems and the manufacturers probably don't want customers howling that they can't hook up their whatever to their TV.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 15:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Four HDMI ports...
...Does anyone actually ever use all those ports?

If I had a PS3 instead of a Wii, I'd be using all 4.

One Port for the Blu-ray player, underneath the Wii
One Port for the Video Camera, that travels 'round with me,
One Port for the PVR, for when I'm not there,
One Port for the Dark Druid, who likes to have a spare.

One Remote to rule them all,
One Remote to find them,
One Remote to bring them all
And in the darkness bind them.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 15:37      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
One Port for the Blu-ray player, underneath the Wii
One Port for the Video Camera, that travels 'round with me,
One Port for the PVR, for when I'm not there,
One Port for the Dark Druid, who likes to have a spare.

One Remote to rule them all,
One Remote to find them,
One Remote to bring them all
And in the darkness bind them.

A LOTR reference, very nice poetry, and you sufficiently answered the question! Bravo!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

...but you're not really a Dark Druid are you?

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 16:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me bows down to TFD

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

I will take the remote to Mordor, but I don't know the way.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 18:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I will take the remote to Mordor, but I don't know the way.

Careful, these Tolkien references can be Hobbit-forming.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 23:14      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, wow. You guys are hysterical!!! I'm defnitely not sauron i asked that last question. Laughter is a great way to start the day. [Applause]

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 06:50      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, the last time I looked we were Tolkien about cables, now all of a sudden the thread is off on a tangent.

How unusual [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture