homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » What movies would you like to see remade?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What movies would you like to see remade?
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2011 05:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a top ten list the other day (which I can't find, so no link) of the top ten movies that are worse than you remember.

I started thinking about them again this morning, though, and I think several of them could be awesome as a remake (which seems to be a popular thing in Hollywood lately)

Firefox
The jet fight scene.
The story is good and today's special effects could give us some pretty awesome fight/flight scenes instead of the painfully obvious blue-screened miniatures of 1982.

Total Recall
Condensed to seven minutes
Better special effects would add to the movie as would a less action-oriented star. Hollywood has been more receptive to the idea of more thoughtful, less action-oriented movies and has seen some big hits, so it's not impossible.

Enemy Mine
Theatrical Trailer
With better effects, this could be such a great movie. The story was good and performances of Dennis Quaid and Louis Gosset Jr. were solid, but the effects, scenery and everything else just destroy what is otherwise a great movie.

So... what films do you think could do with a modern remake?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2011 08:30      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what, total recall condensed down to all the important scenes and no mutant T&A, That is all I remmber from total recall ( I was 13 when I saw it)

I think all these movies were too good to be remade.

That is what people don't gt nowadays, so what if CGI can make some scenes look better. CGI doesn't make good sci fi / fantasy. Plot does.

Pick some horrible films to be remade, this time done well.

slipstream has potential ( I like distopian futures)
trailer
"You misslead them about us, so how can we know your not missleading us... about them." IF that line doesn't convince you this movie needs to be remade with decent acting then nothing will.

or better yet remake

spachunter In 3D I never saw it in 3D, just on VHS. 3D is cool again so its perfct timing.

trailer

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2011 11:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't suggest simply adding effects.

Each of the movies I named could benefit from better actors and better scripting. The basic stories are great, but the particular presentation of those stories leave much to be desired.

One good example of what I mean; Nicholson's Joker was great and, like many others, I thought a remake would be lame, but Ledger's Joker was amazing. I'm glad they didn't accept the idea that nobody could top Nicholson's interpretation of the character, even though that was a pretty common line of thought once The Dark Knight was announced.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2011 17:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I risk a Fatwa from the fans for suggesting this, but I'd like to see the Tarantino remake of Bladerunner.

...or the Ridley Scott remake of Star Wars.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2011 19:59      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD the LucasArmy is on to you!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2011 22:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ There are two I believe should never be remade: "The Great Escape" and "Pretty Woman"

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 12:34      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I know that many of the best Hollywood films are remakes (e.g. Judy Garland's "A Star is Born") I don't think they need any encouragement to rake over their back catalogue more than they do already. On the other hand if a director with some integrity, vision and originality is involved, such as the Coen Brother's "True Grit", I'll probably bite, whatever I think of the original.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2011 12:04      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I know I risk a Fatwa from the fans for suggesting this, but I'd like to see the Tarantino remake of Bladerunner.

...or the Ridley Scott remake of Star Wars.

Yes please.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2011 05:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
everythign is a remix part II

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2011 23:35      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
everythign is a remix part II

Now I understand your spelling Ash, it's postmodern and ironic! [Wink]

Seriously that is an excellent video essay.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2011 07:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here's what not to do when remaking a movie.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2011 07:47      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
And here's what not to do when remaking a movie.

the movie is missing a giant mechanical spider.

ps
Refer to Kevin Smith why I said that.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2011 07:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the story and you're entirely correct.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 29, 2011 11:50      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert Rodriguez owes us a Barbarella remake.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 30, 2011 03:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obvious: Someone needs to remake the entire Star Wars prequels, with a complete re-write.
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2011 02:52      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often see movies based on books and then whine. I think what I would want is to remake some titles and make them long enough to tell the story properly.
The problem with this is that you can't roll it over a zillion times in a multiplex if it is longer. No it must get shorter! [Razz]

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2011 06:25      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
I often see movies based on books and then whine. I think what I would want is to remake some titles and make them long enough to tell the story properly.
The problem with this is that you can't roll it over a zillion times in a multiplex if it is longer. No it must get shorter! [Razz]

I agree when taking books to the silver screen, lots is lost on the 2 h maximun that people can sit still nowdays. But, a movie would be unreasonably long if one was "true" to the book.

for an example, and I think I get this quote from the DVD directors (P. Jackson)commentary, THat is, IF they were to have included all the dialog in TLOTR novels, just the dialog, no action scenes or framing shots or beautifuls scenery, just the written dialog spoken at normal pace in TLOTR, is 60 plus hours of talking. No action, just 60 hours of talking.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2011 09:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Seems about right, but is that using all four books (The Hobbit) included?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2011 09:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
IF they were to have included all the dialog in TLOTR novels, just the dialog, no action scenes or framing shots or beautifuls scenery, just the written dialog spoken at normal pace in TLOTR, is 60 plus hours of talking. No action, just 60 hours of talking.

You could cut 10 hours if you left out the songs.

I was **very** pleased that Jackson left out (almost all of) the songs.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2011 14:34      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conversational speaking speed is about 150 words per minute and a paperback novel has about 400 words per page (this will vary depending on the font size, of course). That gives you a bit less than three minutes of dialog per page (assuming nothing else is described).

Try condensing this 81 second fight scene into 150 words.

If Tolkien and described the battles blow-by-blow, it would have been a 400 book series that nobody would read.

Fortunately, both Tolkien and Peter Jackson knew what they were doing and focused on the strengths of their respective mediums.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture