homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » REGARDING GEEK CULTURE DOCUMENTARY: Real-Life Geek

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: REGARDING GEEK CULTURE DOCUMENTARY: Real-Life Geek
THEO ZENOU
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2011 12:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, PLEASE CONTACT ME AT: [email protected]

Dear Sir, Madam

My name is Theo ZENOU and I'm 18. Though I am French, I study FILM at the University of Westminster, London - the most competitive BA of its kind in the UK.

I am the director of a 10-Min Documentary Project (made in the context of our course) focusing on Sci-Fi and its fans. As an enthusiastic geek myself, I want to enlighten the positive and optimistic aspects of geek culture (Sci-Fi, TV, comic-books...) and show how they changed their fans' life forever and better.

Our documentary must focus on one real-life geek, who should be able to practically show how his passions for geek culture affected his social and everyday life and how it impacted his personality and state of mind. And you seem to be the perfect man!

Please, share your passion with a camera, it will be extremely interesting and it will be submitted in Festivals all over the world...

I am also a Geek culture fan. I am passionate about the imagination of SF, the possibilities it offers, its epic side but also the emotional power of this genre. I am a huge fan of the original "Twlight Zone" and "Outer Limits", as well Wars and Trek (loved the last one)...AND SO MANY OTHERS...

Please, i'm sure you will enjoy the experience and you will not be disappointed. It would a great pleasure if you accepted to meet me (and my group if you wish) so we can get started?

I allow myself to join you the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF_M2RVJiN0
It is a trailer for my latest short film, that I made with a professional production company, a 10 people-crew and professional English-speaking actors... And it is Sci-Fi as well...

Please let me know as possible: Looking forward to hearing from you!
Again, thank you very much for your attention,
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER,
Theo Zenou
[email protected]

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, PLEASE CONTACT ME: [email protected]

--------------------
Theo Zenou

IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2011 13:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is all nice, but I got to the bottom of your pragraphs, and still don't know what you want, other than people to email you.

plus, The most competitive BA in fim in the UK, what is meant by that. Isn't warwick ( from brief googling) the best place ( and therefor the most competitive to get into) to study film in the UK?

ps
I must also say, that after watching your trailer, I have the same complaint. I got to the end of it, and still have no idea what the movie is about. Looks lik it was shot using and expensive camra though!

pps

Plus, are you french? becaus as far as I know, only the french capitalize the enitre last nam and write the first normally. NOt that there is anything wrogn with being french, just asking.

Why wouldn't you want to study film in France. When I compare the films made in france with what is made in the UK, I would have to say that what is coming out of france is much better. I would rank the movies produced in france third in the world behind the US and then South Korea and then somewhere further down the line, but not that far, the UK. If so what drew you to london, do you like the fog? or movies about grey fog? :-P don't take offence , I am just having fun.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2011 13:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not meaning to bust your balls too hard, Ashitaka, but you're failing at some basic reading comprehension. Given that you speak English as a native language, it's a bit inexcusable.

quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Plus, are you french?

quote:
Originally posted by THEO ZENOU:
Though I am French, I study FILM at the University of Westminster, London - the most competitive BA of its kind in the UK.

Also...

quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
That is all nice, but I got to the bottom of your pragraphs, and still don't know what you want, other than people to email you.

quote:
Originally posted by THEO ZENOU:
As an enthusiastic geek myself, I want to enlighten the positive and optimistic aspects of geek culture (Sci-Fi, TV, comic-books...) and show how they changed their fans' life forever and better.

Our documentary must focus on one real-life geek, who should be able to practically show how his passions for geek culture affected his social and everyday life and how it impacted his personality and state of mind.

In short, it's a casting call for someone who wants to share the joys of geekery.

Theo, I'm sorry, I can't help you. Geekiness is expressed in a million ways, but not all of them would work well on film. Are there cons in your area? You might have good luck there finding a geek who'd work well on screen.

Also, just a tip. Unless you're really and truly interested in only a male subject, mind your pronouns. English doesn't have a gender neutral and in the past we did use "he" or "his" to refer to anyone, but that's kind of out of style. "He or she" or "his or her" are more acceptable.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2011 13:34      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, perhaps I did read through that and comment a bit too fast.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2011 03:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Theo Zenou, I know what your objective appears, however we are not at all like "The Big Bang Theory" show. You would not be able to pick us out of a crowd by looking for traits, or mannerisms. We are people like most of society, we just do not work at the typical jobs, we tend to distrust people in suits, and despise stupid managers that have no idea what we do or how we have fun. Now the big plus we do not want to be studied. We prefer to be the one doing the study.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
THEO ZENOU
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2011 04:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all those comments!

1) Sorry for the pronoums, honest mistake... No gender is wanted...

2) Then, we PRECISELY DO NOT WANT to have a Big-Bang-esque character... We are interested in going beyond that, in showing the following "We are people like most of society, we just do not work at the typical jobs, we tend to distrust people in suits, and despise stupid managers that have no idea what we do or how we have fun."
That is the objective, make it about you and YOUR PASSION (how you have fun)...

That's all, no big plan to show any cliches. On the contrary, the goal is to show that Big-Bang isn't a true representation of the geeks and their culture...

Thanks for all your comments...

Let me know if any of this changed your mind or if you'd be interested or know someone that would!

PS:. Have a great day!

THEO ZENOU
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2011 04:16            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PPS: No, no con [Frown]

As far as the trailer for BRAINTWISTER, it was indeed produced by a professional company so I got the chance to have a pro crew and cast... Will be completed soon...
No problem, everyone is entitled to their opinion about it...

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2011 09:57      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that was fast. THEO wanted his account deleted.

Sheesh, kids theses days! [shake head] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture