homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Geeking Out! Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Geeking Out! Help!
mekanism
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 35902

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 12:14      Profile for mekanism         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys,
I new here, and I have come with a random challenge. I am looking for any movie / TV show where in the script someone says "geeking out" or an equivalent "I geeked out," or "I would totally geek out" etc.
Any off the cuff thoughts of dialogues come to mind? Even some search tips would be appreciated.
So far I have a scene from The Incredibles, 30 Rock (Tracy Morgan with Larry King), and Scott Pilgrim.
I am looking for a handful.
Thanks so much!!

Posts: 3 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 12:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try http://www.google.com.au/search?ie=UTF-8&q=%22geek+out%22+site:imdb.com

The first hit is your 30 Rock/Larry King quote, CBA digging through the rest, but you might.

The same trick with some other movie trivia sites might find some more.

[edit]Damn! That link Just Won't Work.

Google search term is: "geek out" site:imdb.com

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mekanism
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 35902

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 12:38      Profile for mekanism         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you!
Can you explain that tactic a bit more? I copied and pasted that link and nothing came up would you mind giving me more detail? I think this could work well. Thanks again!

mekanism
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 35902

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 12:40      Profile for mekanism         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind, I see the hits, with Larry King at the top.
The challenge is to find something within a script, not just a person typing the words "geek out" in a post.
If you have any other ideas please share. Have a great day. Thanks!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 12:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I think I fixed the link, but here's the human readable explanation...

Googling for "geek out" (with the quotes) will find matches for that phrase, anywhere on the internet.

Adding site:imdb.com restricts it to finding matches on imdb.com - which is chock full of movie and tv info, so _some_ of those matches will be from moves/tv shows (although most seem to be from articles about the shows).

So the full google search is: "geek out" site:imdb.com
(the quotes are important).

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 13:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ THEMOMAN IS GEEKING OUT!!! It came today, I have in operation the VirginMobileUSA MiFi2200 by Novatel, that sucker kicks butt. I downloaded that video of the crazy woman in less time than it took to post this. YESSSSS

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 13:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ THEMOMAN IS GEEKING OUT!!! It came today, I have in operation the VirginMobileUSA MiFi2200 by Novatel, that sucker kicks butt. I downloaded that video of the crazy woman in less time than it took to post this. YESSSSS

W00t!

Welcome to the 21st Century!

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 13:19      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome, MoMan, welcome to the 20th century! [Wink]

Seriously, I'm glad you finally got some high speed access.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 13:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ GS I opted for the monthly plan, this thing is fast. Now to take out the Cat5 cables and router the dialup modem

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 17:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations MoMan!

I should dig up some of the music links I've posted over the years and re-post them so you can catch up [evil]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 18:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ No Not The Music Files, NO NOT THAT, NO NOT THAT, No Not That, no not that, sob, sob

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 21:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bwahahahahahaha!

...and just for old time's sake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hlw5lHns5Q

(Hat tip: Steen)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 23:04      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now you can learn ho perverted teh internet has really become since 1998.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2010 02:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Lets see Spungo, Steen, and Dman ????

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2010 03:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Now what do I do, I have done my morning surfing, read the news, checked propagation. I am now waiting for TheMrsMoMan to get up she can do her stuff on the computer.

____ I did not realize how much I twiddled my thumbs, (Oh Poop) it is not even daylight and my surfing is done.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2010 05:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stumble upon video is rather addictive, I bet you can spend a few thousand hours there. ( I have, my video view count is at about 35k)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2010 05:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well my brother, has suggested I do a family tree for the maternal side of the family, He is deep into the paternal. That seems like a time burner, with some reward.

____ This is a total day changer, before the Cat would wake me up about 5:30AM I would let her and the Dog out, turn on the modem and router, open my news feed and start tabbing stories I wanted to read, check the E-mail. The Dog would be scratching at the door to be let back in, so then set up the coffee pot for the Mrs. Go back to reading the news about WikiLeaks and such, tab some more stories. Then go to the bathroom for my morning sitdown. Come back to the computer read the rest of the stories and check what had happened here.

____ I was done with all of the above before the Mrs got up and turned on the coffee pot, it was still dark for an hour before sun up.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2010 16:34      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes MoMan it was all done in a fraction of the time - so now you can afford to branch out into a load more blogs, search for videos, look at catchup TV, study stuff in the iTunes University tab etc...

You could even decide to take up a time and bandwidth eating pursuit like World of Warcraft [evil]

However researching a family tree would now be FAR FAR more easily accomplished (and probably a better use of your time [Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1935 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2011 02:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Price point, I guess VirginMobile was not aware of how well their unlimited plan would be received. They have instituted a cap on data, and then throttle the connection the rest of the billing period. I am still paying less for their plan than the dial-up and phone line combined, however the throttling does urinate me.

____ I have also discovered that if the unit is left turned on the connection slowly goes dormant and it may require a shutdown to get the speed back up.

____ So the price point is better than the dial-up, and the speed is far better, So we are ahead on cost, and over all speed, plus I can roam with the unit. This spring, we will put one of the laptops in the Sky Warn truck and go storm watching.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture