homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » getting use out of Old laptops

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: getting use out of Old laptops
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2010 16:05      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I was talking with a friend and He had an idea to turn an old laptop into a monitor and Keyboard for something like a mac mini. How would one go about doing that?

--------------------
~Blade

Posts: 89 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2010 17:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Interesting, very interesting. However I think you friend has the process backwards. All five laptops here at the hill-top have monitor ports that output a signal, all of them have keyboard ports, to input a signal. Now if your friend can figure out how to get the IO chips set to run in reverse then it might be do-able. I am thinking a major rewrite of the BIOs

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2010 07:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.

Learn to use Google. We aren't your personal tech support department.

Let me save you the trouble of typing a reply by copying from your previous replies since you're just going to give the same sort of response here:

Well buddies That was not the answer ... Before you Say i am stupid or anything make sure your answer is correct.

Ugg you guys are so rude. What is the deal with that. You don't have to be jerks.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2010 18:39      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GrumpySteen is right. No. You can't do it. I've long wished it were possible, I have plenty of old laptops with perfectly good screens and keyboards. It just can't be done.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2010 21:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
GrumpySteen is right. No. You can't do it. I've long wished it were possible, I have plenty of old laptops with perfectly good screens and keyboards. It just can't be done.

Actually, it can be done really quickly...it just won't have very good graphics performance. [Wink]

Otherwise, it would take serious hardware hacking to tackle certain aspects, unless you got *extremely* lucky with your hardware.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2010 00:20      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure there is a way to do it. Since you guys have now said it can't be done you have unfortunately given me a challenge I must respond to. Later.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2010 03:19      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh it can be done. That is not the relevant question however. The relevant question is whether or not Nick here has sufficient skill in hacking hardware to do what he wants to do.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2010 03:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Get a good prospect, fillet the case, figure out how to get the keyboard to talk to the USB interface. B: figure out how to get the monitor signal to drive that little flat strip (pin outs would help) now figure out how to power the display.

____ Its a piece of cake. However if you still want to use the laptop as a laptop also, with out the mini a lot tougher problem.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2010 04:58      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a look, but can't find the site I was looking for. I'm sure there is some software that allows the use of a computer as a secondary display, but can't find it now.
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2010 05:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ If the signals need to use USB, the video may be comprimised. Firewire and USBIII maybe not. How about WiFi then every thing could be software no hardware hacking.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2010 06:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was actually saying no as a response to the request for help.

It is entirely possible to disassemble most laptops and use parts with a desktop computer. Most LCD driver boards have a ribbon cable input that corresponds to the pins in a SVGA connector. Keyboard interfaces tend to be a lot more proprietary, but some do have ribbon cable pinouts that correspond to PS/2, USB or other standard connectors.

But Nick is annoying and there's no way in hell I'm going to provide details or links to any of this sort of information since he'll just wind up doing what he always does: complaining that we didn't do enough for him, didn't solve his problem and didn't read his mind when he didn't give enough information in his question.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2010 09:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ GS. I agree mostly with your point, however he did use "Ask a Geek".

____ Nick, you come here with questions, that a lot of ten year olds could answer.

____ What to do?

____Try downloading Puppy and burn an ISO, try that on an old laptop. If you find that Puppy is not to your liking try Damn Small Linux (DSL) still not satisfied try Debian, or Fedora. All of these OSs will run on older hardware, Ubuntu my fav. is getting pretty high on requirements, older machines may choke.

____ As to hardware hacking, a lot of landfills need stuff, most hacking ends up there.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2010 21:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lf: You're overthinking things, I fear.

Simply talk to my friend Vince...he'll give you the answer you need.
I should warn you, though...he's sworn off vowels - he responds better if you ignore them.

Cheers!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2010 01:47      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman, I know Vince, although I've rarely used his services. It was my understanding that he would only help if you wanted to mirror your display, not extend it.

Some foreigner in Japan had a website with pictures of a very sweet rig that had huge numbers of macs and manga-style toys. It used to turn up on GIS for "sweet rig" or something similar. I'm sure he was using old imacs as secondary displays using a commercial piece of software, but can't find his site now, although it was my impression that he was a minor internet celebrity. I was also wondering if his geek cave was even shinier these days. Ho hum.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2010 10:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but believe it or not, OP asks to 'turn an old laptop into a monitor and Keyboard for something like a mac mini' - that to mean means 'sole display,' not 'extra.'

Doing what you're suggesting is 'very hard.' [Razz]

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2010 15:40      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Okay I'm going to fire up "The way-back machine" who remembers when some people used a modulator so that they could use their TV as the computer monitor??

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2010 00:22      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, my first computer had one of those.

A CBM Vic 20 with tape deck. I used to write such wonderful programs on it:
10 PRINT "BUM "
20 GOTO 10
And then I would load games off the tape and play them. The machine finally died when the "a" key wore out since it was most commonly used as the up direction in games.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2010 04:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something like this should let you access a Mac desktop on a PC.

Just run VNC server on the Mac, and a VNC client on your Windoze or Linux laptop.

Tada!

Tune in next week and I'll show you how to play the flute, how to split an atom, how to construct a box girder bridge, how to irrigate the Sahara Desert and make vast new areas of land cultivatable.

[edit] I just got Dman's joke. Doh!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2010 04:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____lf, those were the days, when the operator told the computer to do something not click a GUI.

____ I had a TI 99/4A that I had gotten a Paper Tape Punch for and did machine tool paths from home. Take the tapes into work and cut my (government) job.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture