homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Ask a Geek

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ask a Geek
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2010 06:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ask a Geek, I hope this is the correct forum. The MrsMoMan uses windows XP, on a Compaq Presario. AMD Athalon 2Ghz one Gig of ram. Two days ago it would not start up, no error messages just would go to her wallpaper and stall. Because it is a Compaq I used the internal recovery tools (F11) to get going again. Now I get NTLDR not found.

____ It will not boot a Puppy Linux ISO

____ It will not boot a DSL (damn small Linux) ISO

____ When I try the UBCD 3.3 the main menu comes up but none of the menu items will load.

____ Is this thing now land fill material?

____ Any tips on the thing.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2010 07:51      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please don't dump such toxic material into a landfill. pay the five bucks and recycle it.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2010 08:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I gots to pay to get rid of it?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2010 09:12      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it beep at all when you turn it on? Makes sure the volume is turned up (if a physical switch). POST = power on self test. Google post beeps and see if there is a code that corresponds. This might be the answer.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2010 10:14      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ I gots to pay to get rid of it?

I thought the recycling centers were asking for money now to recycle old compters because they started getting so many of them. ca 2004 it cost 5 bucks in northern indiana.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2010 11:42      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you checked the BIOS to make sure that it will boot from CD? If it does, have you verified the integrity of your ISO images -- i.e., can another machine boot from the discs?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2010 13:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Actually we have two identical Compaqs. The one I used as a GPS in the motorhome and the one that TheMrsMoMan uses. Unit A will boot from the UBCD, but the menu items all fail at unpacking keyboard. When booting the Puppy ISO it will get so far and then start throwing error messages about certain blocks. When trying DSL it will get to the start screen then lockup.

____ Unit B will boot and run all the mentioned ISOs.

____ I am fairly sure that these ISOs do look at the HD as they write swap pages, even on machines with plenty of RAM.

____ I am trying to figure out if the HD is truly borked or if/and/or there are other hardware problems also. So I guess I have to swap the drives and see if the problem follows the drive. I just do not want to end up with two borked drives or Mbos

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2010 13:24      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think most LiveCDs write swap files to the drive. The problems that I would check for are the following: bad optical drive, bad hard drive, bad IDE cable(s), bad RAM, bad MoBo/CPU.

Go down this list with a simple process of elimination technique.

1) UNPLUG the hard drive (both power and data) and try booting from a LiveCD again. If it works then you know that there's something borked with the hard drive, but if that fails...

2) swap the optical drive with a known-good drive and try again.

2a) If that works then you know the optical drive is bad; leave the good optical drive in, reconnect the hard drive and try booting again; if it fails this time suspect the hard drive.

3) if steps 1 and 2 fail, swap the IDE cable on the optical drive and try again.

4) If all of that fails, load Memtest86+ off of one of those LiveCDs, it should be one of the options in the boot menu, probably the bottom-most choice.

4a) If it refuses to load Memtest86+, swap the RAM with known-good RAM and try again. If it still fails to load Memtest86+ then you're looking at a bad MoBo or CPU problems.

4b) If Memtest86+ complains that the RAM is bad, then you've found the problem. If you've been running with bad RAM, it's likely that the Windows installation has become corrupted as well and you'll likely want to reinstall (or repair) after replacing the RAM.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2010 14:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ MMKK here is what I found

I don't think most LiveCDs write swap files to the drive. The problems that I would check for are the following: bad optical drive, bad hard drive, bad IDE cable(s), bad RAM, bad MoBo/CPU.

Go down this list with a simple process of elimination technique.

1) UNPLUG the hard drive (both power and data) and try booting from a LiveCD again. If it works then you know that there's something borked with the hard drive, but if that fails...

Puppy Linux would not load it claimed that the PCI Bus was not Syncing.

DSL would not load it claimed that Init was trying to kill Init.

2) swap the optical drive with a known-good drive and try again.

Did not try

2a) If that works then you know the optical drive is bad; leave the good optical drive in, reconnect the hard drive and try booting again; if it fails this time suspect the hard drive.

Did not try

3) if steps 1 and 2 fail, swap the IDE cable on the optical drive and try again.

4) If all of that fails, load Memtest86+ off of one of those LiveCDs, it should be one of the options in the boot menu, probably the bottom-most choice.

Memory test -86 failed

Memory test 86+ failed

4a) If it refuses to load Memtest86+, swap the RAM with known-good RAM and try again. If it still fails to load Memtest86+ then you're looking at a bad MoBo or CPU problems.

4b) If Memtest86+ complains that the RAM is bad, then you've found the problem. If you've been running with bad RAM, it's likely that the Windows installation has become corrupted as well and you'll likely want to reinstall (or repair) after replacing the RAM.

____ I have some other sticks for this laptop, but now I have to find them. They are probably hiding somewhere.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2010 15:02      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan: Certainly looks like bad RAM. Thankfully, RAM isn't terribly expensive. It also looks like the kernel is panicking when you boot the CDs, which isn't surprising since the RAM is bad.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2010 16:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be bad RAM, but before you spend money on new RAM, check that it's not Capacitor Plague.

I've been hearing about this problem for a while, but I saw my first real case of it a couple of weeks ago, the caps looked just like the pictures on the wikipedia page.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2010 17:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Dear MMKK and TFD, I spent a bunch of time finding all the sticks of RAM around here, put them in one at a time and found two 512megs that checked good. I then put one in each machine TheMrsMoMan one is running slow and I am fixing my mistakes on the other, I got carried away with gparte.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2010 05:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well, I had made a set of recovery Disks when we got this Pair of Computers, I have followed Compaq's directions compleatly AND. AND. AND I keep getting an Error Message NTLMR not found or missing.

____ At this time, I am asking the stepson to dl/and burn an ISO of Ubuntu V10.04 and have a proper computer again.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted August 02, 2010 10:22      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the hard drive is to blame. I had a bad experience with a Compaq minitower, HP had to change the drive *twice* (both drives being WD, failing within a month). They finally replaced the MoBo and the HDD for a Seagate, and seems all issues were fixed finally.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture