homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Cabbage worms I wish

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cabbage worms I wish
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 03:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ fs, with all due respect, cabbage worms I wish. The Mrs & Myself went off with the motorhome to see some sights when we returned to find a family of skunks had moved into a rabbit burrow under the barn.

____ Ideas, I do not want to poison as we have a cat, I just want them to leave, yesterday.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 03:55      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, I love skunks.

There used to be this big fat one that waddled around the dorms where I went to college. Nobody fucked with him, because he was a skunk. And he was really pretty tame. He'd come right up and take food from you, if you were brave enough to not flee at the sight of a skunk. They eat a lot of pests, too!

This link has some info on trapping and relocation. (Just make sure if you trap and relocate, don't take a mamma and leave babies to die in the den. Same with sealing it up.)

This one basically suggests ways of encouraging them to move out on their own.

Awwww.

-

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 10:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had skunks on my college campus too, and skunks out in the community around campus. Occasionally, I'd see an entire skunk family trotting through the grass, mom and her babies, tails up in the air, scooting along like they were trying to get somewhere. It was the sweetest thing ever. And skunks, though they kick up a stink, aren't really anything to be afraid of. Unless you have a dog prone to pestering them. I imagine cleaning skunk off your dog would get tiresome very quickly.

Honestly, the smell of skunk doesn't bother me much. Maybe it's because I'm a biochemist and I've encountered worse. Much, much worse. Like, so bad the chemical companies put stench labels on the jars. And if it's bad enough that the chemists need a warning, it's bad.

I've heard of people keeping pet skunks. They get the scent glands removed. Apparently, once that whole issue has been taken care of, they make wonderful pets.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 17:28      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Thus far I have cleared all the weeds, grasses, and trees from three sides of the barn. I will finish the South side tomorrow, finish putting up corner lights and start leaving the radios on louder at night, if the National Weather service bulletins don't run them off then I will have to go to Moth Balls.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture