homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Can you be too geeky?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you be too geeky?
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 19:26      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK,been in a great relationship,I mean everything was perfect until....he started gaming obsessivly. I am NOT competing with a video game...wtf?

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 20:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A common problem

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 21:08      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a whole movie about this type of thing.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 21:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD: Hahaha!

MMKK: How the hell did I miss that flick?
But hey...it's available on Netflix 'watch instantly.' w00t!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 04:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ geekygoddess, I am truly sorry that you have such compitition, however would you prefer that some other lady be complaining about him.

____ I thought that you were asking if in general, Can someone be "TOO GEEKY" well if you never though about how bid an electronic trail you are leaving read this.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/196512/EFF_Privacy.html?tk=rss_news

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 14:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
would you prefer that some other lady be complaining about him.

She dumped him, so I think we can definitively say that the answer is yes. She does want some other lady to be the one complaining about him. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 20:28      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Geeky Goddess!

That is really a shame!

No offence, but what video game? Ha! Ha! Ha! Just a joking here.

I am sorry you are sad and frustrated! Truly I am!

I remember when you lost a good man over long distance, That was sad, sad, sad!

But this man, well, he is right there. He is thinking about the wrong joy stick! That is wrong, wrong wrong!

I say he is taking you for granite! Or marble! Or Mica schist! Or Travertine limestone. Any way I say, he treats you like stone. But I bet you rock!

I say don't get mad. No. No. No. Don't argue. Just get up and leave. He won't notice at all!

Some guys want to get to the next level. Other guys want to get to the next base!

One day, I will tell you this. One day you will find a man, and you will know. And the sun will kiss your cheeks just so. And he will kiss you just so. And the wine will taste just so. It will be a good day and you will never, ever, never forget.

I just know! That is life!

Even if you are high maintenance. I bet you are worth maintaining!

Chin up! Cheer up!

Have a great day!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 19:19      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OI! that is a really dirty shame. I feel for you. Hopefully You meet a better man than he.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 23:00      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd say that part of being geeky is being smart and knowing your priorities. If gaming is more important...

I would be easily be classified as a geek, and I do not play video games. well, not often anyways.

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 00:05      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's so much a matter of "too geeky" as it is misplaced priorities and a misunderstanding of what a relationship is.

A lot of guys get a girlfriend and view it as the endgame, a fait accompli. What they fail to realize is that acquiring the girlfriend is not winning the game. It's only the beginning.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 03:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ FS, you are very correct. Males and females have all together different views on relationships. We have different meanings to statements, "well I thought that you were going to (some task)." I am not going to try to do a gender differences dictionary of words, as there appears to be no real rules.

____ Men do seem to view having a girlfriend as the end of the chase, game over, I don't have to woo her any more.

____ This may become a thread jack, ever notice how uptight humans are? Dogs and cats if they have to relieve themselves they just assume the pose and do their business. No we have to have restrooms, animals smell each others rears, and may get it on right in public. We on the other hand go through this whole dating thing. Then off to some private place, whats up with that?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 04:49      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this is why I am swearing off men. I do not get how people can meet and live happily ever after if as soon as the man gets the girl he stops trying. This is where I say to myself..."He's just not that into me" and move on! I have high expectations, I guess I am high maintanence:)

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 06:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I honestly believe that men and women do not speak the same language, it appears the same, but many words and phrases have different meanings depending on gender.

____ We'll see

____ Maybe

____ You, could get lucky

____ Not now

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 06:38      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about that, gg. Looks like love is full of disapointment. I'll know for sure about my own "interest" if he's been playing me, or if he really is honest with me about all his peronal problems and taking care of them.

But you know what? Even if he lied, I am not ready to give up the game yet. I hope you won't either. I prefer to think girls like us require a very special category of guys, who happen to be in short supply, and thus hard to meet. But when I meet one of that rare fish (and gentlemen here know I don't mean it in a derogatory way), I want to be sure my line is out there, and hooked. (But not baited. I want "my" guy to love me for who I am, not who I could pretend to be.)

Take your time to rebuild your stamina, then back to fishing, lady! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 10:02      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's a perfect-storm type confluence of elements that need to come together to make a good relationship. (I've never been interested in having a crappy relationship just for the sake of not being alone.)

You could just give up on dating the wrong men, not all men.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 10:57      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well ladies, I am of the opinion that in any given age bracket the good ones are in short supply. I am not saying that there are not any left, but that the pool of good ones is nearly depleated.

____ As to the work involved to keep a relationship going, it ain't rocket science, just some careful observation. Fellas pay attention to what she says. Men tend to try to fix problems some times the ladies don't want it fixed they just want to vent. Listen.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 11:46      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luckily, people have different ideas about what makes a "good one." Helps the odds.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 14:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fs wrote:
Luckily, people have different ideas about what makes a "good one." Helps the odds.

Not when your idea of "good" includes being celibate. If that's the case, the odds of finding someone remotely compatible are extremely low.

FML [ohwell]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture