homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Washington DC (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Washington DC
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 08:14      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to be spending a short time in the US soon, in/near Washington. What should I do when I am there? I will have one (maybe two) days, and will probably be a bit jetlagged. Things have to leave me in a state suitable for a job interview the day after.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 09:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Washington state or Washington DC? Very different places.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 10:01      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DC.
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 10:39      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big needle thing with the pool and Lincoln-on-a-chair statue thingy is quite neat... other than that -- IHOP! (Mmmmmm... )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 12:37      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember my class trip to DC, I wanted to see the air and space museum, wen ended up at the mall ( after seeing the holocaust museum. I complained that we could go to the mall at home, I ws quickly informed this one was bigger better and had a few different stores.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 13:12      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend the Smithsonian museums.

The International Spy Museum is also kinda nifty.

There are a lot of sight-seeing tours available, too. They usually take an hour or two and will let you see most of the national monuments from a distance, which is a good way to decide which you want to go back and actually visit.

Six Flags America is nearby as well, although that's really more a go-with-friends type of place and is a bit on the expensive side.

And then there's the Palace of Wonders which has a museum, of sorts, and burlesque/vaudville type shows (may be NSFW). This one might not fit your "leave me in a state suitable for a job interview the day after" criteria, however, so maybe not (but I recommend it anyway).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 13:54      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely the Smithsonian. Two days is not long enough; it's enormous. The Air and Space museum is def. a geek must-see. And I believe it's the Museum of American History that has the history of computers on one of the lower levels.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 15:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Little fish I was stationed in Washinton for a year, I still did not see every thing. On Sat & Sun you can buy an all day pass on the Metro, that is a good investment.

Partial List:

Arlington Cemetary, Tomb of the Unknown, JFK, and Robert Kennedy, walk across the Potomic River on the Four Horsemen Bridge and you are at the Lincoln Mem. as you are on the steps of the lin. looking at the Washington Mem. to your left is the Vietnam Vets Mem, a little farther is the WWII Mem.

Then on the left is the White House, veer to the right and the Smithsonian will be on your right and Congress straight ahead.

You have now used up about six hours and not paid admission at any thing.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 15:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smithsonian. Natural History is another geek must-see.

I lived in the DC area the first 11 years of my life. The Smithsonian is what I miss the most.

Good luck with the interview! Is it another post-doc or a real job?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 23:31      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

It's a post doc with NIST, at Gaithersburg. Should be good.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was planning on the Smithsonian, but their website makes it look like it could take a month to see everything. A bus tour sounds like a good way to see everything without tiring out my legs. I'll try to find an IHOP too.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 00:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should come to the Boulder NIST. We're nicer. [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 01:06      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
quote:

It's a post doc with NIST, at Gaithersburg. Should be good.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was planning on the Smithsonian, but their website makes it look like it could take a month to see everything. A bus tour sounds like a good way to see everything without tiring out my legs. I'll try to find an IHOP too.

Americans, prefering size over quality, like to boast that if you spent 8 hours a day 7 days a week looking at the smithsonian collection, you could not see everyything in a lifetime. But at least only mostly interesting things are on display.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 04:57      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You should come to the Boulder NIST. We're nicer. [Wink]

Is it NIST you work at now then? Any top hints for the interview?
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 08:44      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is and sadly, no, no hints. I won a fellowship that, unfortunately for you, is available only to US citizens.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 10:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been to DC, but I shall foolishly advocate a visit to IHOP anyway. [Smile]
I'd also never been to one of those until about a year ago - it was a very welcome place to go on my way back from some French-speaking place to our north.

/me is glad to see some of these ideas, as I really want to take a short trip there...someday. Clearly there's a lot to see, so maybe I'll do something novel, and go back for more. [Razz] (Obviously not as easy an option for lf.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 10:13      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeping in mind that I've never been to D.C. either, I still have to make a motion for IHOP. They're not on the menu anymore, but IHOP's "cornbread cakes" are a nice, light snack if you're not looking for a full, big, stuffed-to-the-gills meal. Most of the time they'll still make them for you if you ask nicely.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 12:48      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smithsonian is of course on any list. Just like going by the White House, and other basic tourist visit's.

Now there are also some quirkier aspects of any trip. Places like a tour of the places Patsy Cline lived, or even some of those oddball truly American types of tourist attractions fascinate me.

If you are in for something just odd, here is a great site to check out.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 00:13      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another question, since this *is* geek culture. Does anyone have any experience with transporting apple goods across international boundaries.

I probably won't buy an ipad, but if I did, there wouldn't be any problems with servicing or guarantees would there?

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 03:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Apple the fruit that may be not allowed. Used consumer products you may have to prove that they work and are not repurposed, new in a box may be a different story, best to check with each custums.
As for repair work that may raise problems in the future as the region codes to protect CD/DVD copyrights.

____ I do know that I bought gifts in Eu. that were shipped to my residence as "unsollicted gifts" I did not have to pay entry taxes on those.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 08:34      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Another question, since this *is* geek culture. Does anyone have any experience with transporting apple goods across international boundaries.

I probably won't buy an ipad, but if I did, there wouldn't be any problems with servicing or guarantees would there?

I can't answer the first question, but I would be very curious as to whether or not it would even work with iTunes in a foreign country. I have a feeling that the app store would kill the ability to do anything more than what it would come with by default.

I could certainly be wrong in this assumption, but I doubt it.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 08:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Allan is around these parts much lately, but I'm pretty sure he's done it without issue before. (Dunno if he ever needed support, though.)

AFAIK, the price factor is a biggie. (You might want to ship the empty box home, BTW.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 05, 2010 08:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
littlefish, we've never had any problem with Apple goods bought in the USA or originating in the USA. Just register it as usual once you are home.
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 10:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Digital rights BS three zones in the world, Eastern (Asia), The Americas, EU third zone different copyright laws, it may rear its ugly head.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 10:19      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I probably won't get one, but if it is as magical as Steve says, then Boom! I might get bewitched.
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 11:34      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well I probably won't get one, but if it is as magical as Steve says, then Boom! I might get bewitched.

It totally is.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture