homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Strange things happening

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strange things happening
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 06:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ok, the back story. I use Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and FireFox to surf the Web. I have installed all updates and patches. The Hardware is an old Dell that just fills the mininum requirements.

____ Lately it is doing strange things, like taking an enter key click to go to a bookmarked page. requiring several mouse clicks to open a file that is on the desktop.

____ Can these symtems be caused by hardware sortfalls or is the OS and FireFox BUGGY?

____ PS. This same Hardware Running a Live CD, Puppy or Damn Small Linux does not do these things.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 08:42      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both issues sound like the mouse problems, either the way the mouse is setup or the mouse is dieing. I'd try another mouse, and I'd check my mouse settings. both in your WM and in your XWindows conf file.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 14:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ GameMaster, Well this thing has one of those pointer sticks between G,H,B Keys and a track pad. If I disable them the serial mouse behaves better, maybe time for a newer laptop. However Live CDs do not have pointer,track-pad or mouse problems, that is why I am leaning toward Ubuntu as the problem.

____ P.S. To above. A few minutes ago I pulled down the bookmarks list made a choice. That URL displayed in the toolbar, at the bottom of FireFox text appeared stating "contacting URL" however no blinking lights on the router or modem. Then I moved the cursor/pointer with the mouse until it was in the URL address line of the toolbar, clicked. Nothing happened, pressed CR/Enter the modem and router both showed that traffic was moving and the text at the bottom displayed, "doanloading from (URL)" I hope that this helps in the diagnosis, also this all started happening the day after an update from Ubuntu. Also it is intermittant not every time.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture