homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » What to do with a G3 Wallstreet?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to do with a G3 Wallstreet?
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2009 16:28      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, someone was about to take it to the recycling place, and I am physically incapable of declining a free laptop. So, here it is. It works ok. It's running OS 9.2 -- it ain't the fastest thing in the world (and I truly need a command line for my computing experience, else I feel... vulnerable). What can one do with it. Needless to say I've been at the google a lot lately -- Linux sounds like too much of a pain in the ass to install (regrettably), apparently it will run OS 10.2 or thereabouts, but it'd be too slow to do ought. What would Jeebus do?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2009 18:29      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spungo: Your only realistic option is put Linux on it, or turn it into a digital picture frame (linky, from our own tut-an-geek). I ran Yellow Dog Linux on my G3 Wallstreet for a couple of years, but that was a long time ago, back in the 2.4 kernel days.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2009 18:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YDL is *awful* (At least that was my experience on a beige G3 tower years ago.)

Putting Linux on old Macs is a painful experience, with bittersweet results.

Curious question: Is the battery life any good on it?
If not, just find some kind of SSH client and use it as a terminal to a proper box. [Wink]

10.2 probably would be painful on that hardware - as horrible as it seems, I'd try to get rid of the thing...gift it to a Mac geek. (There are still a few 9-is-fine folks out there. [Wink] ) Or find some clever old Mac games for it and just use it as a 'slacking off' box. This is quite amusing, in a somewhat Dilbertesque fashion: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/harry/

Or...take it to a coffee shop/bar/other public place where laptop folks congregate, wearing black, with a beret, and just appear to be banging away at your latest screenplay... [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2009 19:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could hook it up to a printer/cheap external drive and use it as a home LAN server.
Maybe an mp3 jukebox?
Dedicated bittorrent box?

Or maybe just attach a "formerly owned by Woz" sign to it and sell it on eBay. [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2009 19:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe just attach a "formerly owned by Woz" sign to it and sell it on eBay.

ha ha!

We kept our Pismo, as that was a gift from Woz. You won't be able to pry that puppy outta our cold almost dead hands. It runs our webcam now, running Tiger I think, but it has the G4 upgrade in it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2009 14:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
You won't be able to pry that puppy outta our cold almost dead hands.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten it's Winter in Canada.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2009 20:13      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Or maybe just attach a "formerly owned by Woz" sign to it and sell it on eBay.

ha ha!

We kept our Pismo, as that was a gift from Woz. You won't be able to pry that puppy outta our cold almost dead hands. It runs our webcam now, running Tiger I think, but it has the G4 upgrade in it. [Big Grin]

Yeah, we're using my Pismo as the primary computer right now. Works great. Love the big screen. I take it a Wallstreet isn't as special as the Pismo? [Wink]
Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2009 08:36      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, thanks for the advice, folks. I think I'll go with the mp3 jukebox idea -- I'm loathe to chuck it as it's a pretty thing -- and I can secretly pretend to be Sarah Jessica Parker (from that show, you know). Anyway, ta for yer help! [Smile]
..er..
Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4926

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2009 03:16      Profile for ..er..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ours - no, it's a Pismo not a Wallstreet - sits on the boat and runs a wonderful downloadable navigation program called GPSNavX.

It shows us where we are, and what we're about to collide with. It also has an AIS (Automatic Identification System [for Ships]) decoder connected to it, so it shows us the name, call-sign, speed and direction of whatever we're about to collide with.

If I knew how to add a picture here, I would ..we-ell, OK; I'll have a try: <a href=homepage.mac.com/davidbabsky/.cv/davidbabsky/Sites/.Pictures/Assorted%20pics/boats%20sandwich.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg>click here</a> ..oh well, just cut and paste if you're interested..

We're the triangle pointing left, being overtaken fore and aft!

Posts: 10 | From: London, England, roughly.. | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2009 06:32      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, ..er.., thanks for that!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2009 06:33      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ that dude's pic

-

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture