homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » OS for iBook G4

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OS for iBook G4
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2009 11:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We primarily use my husband's iBook G4 because he has all of his grad school coursework on it. The OS is 10.3.9, which is horribly out of date. It's impossible to install some of the latest software (flash player 10, primarily) and the printing function is broken. So we should upgrade the OS.

What OS can this computer handle? I don't care about cutting edge, just something that works and fixes these issues. It would also be nice if it wouldn't cost us an arm-and-a-leg, but I realize this is Apple we're talking about. [Razz]

Alternately, how do I get my husband to use my Pismo (which is bigger, runs Tiger, and the printing function works)? Or is that something for which we should see a marriage counselor? LOL

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2009 12:04      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I read you should be ok running 10.4 on your iBook but it would probably be wise to turn off dashboard as it will eat up the battery and make the machine run hotter than what it should. Can anybody confirm this?

Edit: It would be helpful if you could give us some specs on your iBook - RAM, CPU speed, HD size - so we can give you a better idea of how well an upgrade would suit you.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2009 13:55      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.2 GHz PowerPC G4
768 MB DDR SDRAM
Machine Model: iBook G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.5f0
Serial Number: UV4440KPQHV
56 GB HD

IIRC, the newer versions of OSX are built for a different processor. That's part of my hesitation in just buying any newer OS.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted November 15, 2009 01:51      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tiger is now unsupported, but it should run on your iBook with still more software support than Panther. In a more "radical" move, you may just try some GNU/Linux distro which supports PowerPC, like Yellow Dog, Fedora (version 12 will be released in three days as of this writing) or Debian.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2009 04:29      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Rhonwyyn

Long time no see!

The G4 iBook is a fine little Mac and is perfectly capable of running 10.4 - my father is running 10.4 on his and his only the 800Mhz version with 512MB RAM... (at one point he was actually running it with just 256MB but that was a bit laggy [Wink] )

However you have a 1.2GHz version and that means you could (and probably should IMHO) use 10.5 Leopard - though you might want to up the RAM even if the official minimum for Leopard is only 512MB)

At work I finally made the jump to 10.5 from 10.4 because 10.4 isn't going to receive security updates any more and the list of useful tools that I can't update because the newest versions require 10.5 was just getting too big. (That and I was really beginning to feel the drag of using 10.4 at work and 10.6 at home... 10.5 is at least mostly feature comparable to 10.6)

So there you have it you can do 10.4 or 10.5... I would go for 10.5 because that should extend the supported by security updates life of the iBook for at least a couple more years.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2009 16:16      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
However you could use 10.5 Leopard - though you might want to up the RAM

I would put it stronger than that, if you are going to upgrade to 10.5, unless you really like watching those spinning beach balls, you must max out your RAM. Don't even think about it, unless you have 1GB minimum, (and preferably more), as the Leopard just chews up RAM in big hungry gulps. 10.4 will run on your machine just fine as is. I don't think you are the kind of person who would enjoy Linux.

In normal circumstances I would (like Serenak) recommend Leopard over Tiger, Time Machine alone justifies it, but given the age of your iBook. you must also decide whether your money would be better employed as the beginning of a fund for a new MacBook.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture