homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Older MacBook Pro

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Older MacBook Pro
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2009 11:16      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine is selling his old pre-santa rosa 2.16GHz core duo MBP for $350. The battery only lasts for about an hour and will need to be replaced, but everything else seems to be in good working order. Should I go for it, or is it too slow to run the current osx and newer apps?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2009 16:56      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'll run 10.6 perfectly well, and $350 seems like a great price. I have one, and the features of the newer ones I'm most jealous of are the design, trackpad and keyboard. The extra speed and 64-bit would be nice, but I'm more than happy with my current one.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2009 19:27      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a very sweet deal, grab it.

iBook g4s are going for that.

That computer will last you a good long time.

Mr. Geek 2 U

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2009 19:52      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just did - I already have two (PC) laptops, but at that price, I just couldn't resist [Smile]

What's the maximum amount of RAM that can be installed? The information I've seen so far has been very conflicting, with some sites claiming it maxes out at 2 gigs, while other are saying they were able to install 4. Also, how hard would it be to swap out the hard drive? The one that came with it works just fine, but it's a bit on the slow side, and I have an unused 7200RPM drive sitting around somewhere.

EDIT: Just checked ebay, those prices are absolutely insane. How in the world are people expecting to get $1000 for a machine that's over three years old?

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 09, 2009 21:50      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats on a nice machine for a great price!
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2009 03:12      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swapped the HD in mine. It's not too tricky; lots of screws and a nasty bit where you have to unhook the top case from the bottom but once you're inside it's fine. Just follow the guide (I used iFixit).

No idea about the maximum RAM. Maybe macmcseboy would know more.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2009 20:03      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Core Duos maxed out at 2GB of PC5300 (DDR2) RAM. PC6400 will clock down to match the system bus.

--------------------
Peace,
CW

guitar, bass, percussion, Macintosh.
http://www.cwsmith.fm

Posts: 42 | From: Des Moines, IA USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2009 21:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CW Smith:
Core Duos maxed out at 2GB of PC5300 (DDR2) RAM. PC6400 will clock down to match the system bus.

Actually...not entirely true.

Apple /says/ that it maxes out at 2, but in reality, you can take it up to ~3 1/3 GB. It's due to some defect in the Intel chipset, or Apple's mobo, that it cannot address more than that - I have 3 GB of RAM in my 2.0 GHz Core2Duo. I've read that you can throw 4 GB in, but practically speaking, it can't address much more than 3.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2009 21:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EveryMac is a good reference for that type of question, every model listed, what kind of RAM they take, etc. etc ad nauseum.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2009 20:37      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by CW Smith:

Actually...not entirely true.

Apple /says/ that it maxes out at 2, but in reality, you can take it up to ~3 1/3 GB. It's due to some defect in the Intel chipset, or Apple's mobo, that it cannot address more than that - I have 3 GB of RAM in my 2.0 GHz Core2Duo. I've read that you can throw 4 GB in, but practically speaking, it can't address much more than 3.

The first Core2s (like yours) will see the 3GB. The Core Solos and Core Duos (the-32 bit models like mine, not the 64-bit Core2s) will only see the 2GB. This is true whether I use 2x1GB or a 2GB stick. I've tried putting 3GB (1GB + 2GB) or 4GB (2x2GB) in and it still only sees the 2GB, if it boots at all.

Core2s like yours will see 3GB. If you put in 4GB (matched 2GB sticks), you will still only see 3G but the system will be able to interleave the RAM it can see. The jury is still out as to whether this improves the speed of the machine enough to justify the additional cost of the RAM.

Later Core2s (2007 and early 2008 models) could see 4GB according to Apple, but I've heard reports that some folks have been able to get the machine to see 6GB. I've not tried myself: 4GB sticks are too expensive to experiment with.

These are results I've seen in my own personal experience. If you have different results in your experience, then I stand corrected and will note it for the future.

--------------------
Peace,
CW

CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2009 20:39      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
EveryMac is a good reference for that type of question, every model listed, what kind of RAM they take, etc. etc ad nauseum.

mactracker.ca is also an excellent resource.

--------------------
Peace,
CW

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2009 21:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CW: My error - I didn't notice the lack of a '2' in the 'core duo.'

D'oh!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture