homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » USB - who'd have thought it so confusing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: USB - who'd have thought it so confusing?
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2009 06:58      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking at USB LCD screens, but they all have internal USB conncections so you can put them inside your computer, etc. I want this one plugged into a laptop (in fact, a USB hub remote from a laptop), so I'm wondering if it is possible to do this, either with an adapter or soldering on a standard USB A plug? Google is failing me on this one (or I'm failing with Google), so does anyone have any ideas?
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2009 06:59      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A USB screen, is that possible? isn't that too much info?

Show me!

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2009 07:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can probably find what you're looking for here:
http://www.frontx.com/store/order_a.html

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2009 07:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I was thinking this is what he was looking for

http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Hubs:3055-Hub%20Type=USB:4168-Brand=Belkin

maybe not?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2009 10:36      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's talking about one of the small LCD information screens that's connected to a USB header on the motherboard. Typically they're used to show temperature, fan speeds and other such info.

Laptop don't have the five/ten pin USB header that a regular motherboard has, however, so an adapter to go from the female ten pin header connector to the type A USB connector that laptop do have is required.

*edit*

Oh... and yes, it will work as long as it's plugged into a powered USB port if it needs power. Some laptops have unpowered ports.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2009 11:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

____ Well I had seen a LCD monitor that had USB ports around the outer edge, I wasn't sure if Stibbons was in the market for a new monitor or just a hub.

____ My thoughts on CPU temp is when every thing goes PooPoo the CPU got too hot.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2009 11:59      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
A USB screen, is that possible? isn't that too much info?

Show me!

Here's a review of one by forum member Zwilnik:

http://www.idevgames.com/reviews/mimo-um730-usb-lcd-monitor

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2009 06:18      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
He's talking about one of the small LCD information screens that's connected to a USB header on the motherboard... Laptop don't have the five/ten pin USB header that a regular motherboard has, however, so an adapter to go from the female ten pin header connector to the type A USB connector that laptop do have is required.

Exactly. Sorry for the lack of clarity in the parent - I've just reread what I wrote, and it wasn't brilliant. So adaptors do exist? Good to know (though for some reason, that website is down for me).

Looking at pictures of the screen, the "internal USB connectors" seem to be four wires in the normal USB colours with little black plugs on the end. I imagine I could just strip these and solder straight into a USB A plug - is this possible?

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2009 07:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you can. Here are some pinouts that will help you do it if you don't want to buy an adapter.
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2009 07:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Well ____________________

____ Monday I bought a 46 inch LCD that has three Base bands Video ins, four HDMI, one VGA, and one RF port. Plus it has both an analog, and digital tuner if I should care to watch TV on the thing.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture